ADVERTISEMENT

Need Assistance.....

Whew, Oz! Thank goodness! Then we should be good with Adams, Gilbert, CV and the frosh. Unless KO wants the luxury of playing a small lineup. Although, Larrier seems more like a 3 than he is a 4. And with Jackson, that's your 6 best players at 3 spots.

I'd rather have a Big.

Khalid, he's more athletic and explosive than Selvy, the black hole. I read he's a really versatile defender, guarding 2-4. That's valuable and why Kansas wants him. As for shon Miller, maybe not the diverse scorer, but looks more relentless/physical.

Selvie was more decorated as a juco than Jimmy Butler. Who you taking between those two?

Selvie was JUCO player of the year according to 215 JUCO coaches so I kind of doubt this kid could even hold Selvie's jockstrap. Selvie was a career double figures scorer at UConn which I seriously doubt this guy would be. He needs to pump some iron before he can lift the Selvie jockstrap.

http://articles.courant.com/2000-05...nior-college-coaches-fiba-world-championships

BTW Selvie was the exact same height and weight as this kid.

So points determine how good a guy is? Especially on the team we have coming back? 2blocks per game for Mr rim protection and athletic enough to guard wings. He also averaged almost 4 assists a game. Johnny didn't have 4 in his career.

Furthermore, 215 juco coaches didn't even vote jimmy butler on an Aa team, but he just won a gold medal, so there's that.

And I don't think Kansas offered Selvy out of juco, it was basically us and USF. However, they offered this kid and they are a top 5 program. I'll go with Bill Selfs evaluation on this one.

Last edited:
I know he's(Juiston) undersized and it happened at Juco, but I'll take 12 rpg any day. And Almost 2 blocks tells me he's a quick leaper. Maybe a KFree clone?

You could start him at the 4, Larrier at the 3 and have Vital and Jackson off the bench.
agreed
How is Bonzi Colson looking nowadays compared to when we discussing him a few years back as a recruit.

We are good with bigs.... looking for combo SG type

With Cuonzo Martin leaving Cal, they have a 4 star commit in Jemarl Baker (6'2") Shooting Guard from the Los Angeles area (hi KO). If he decided to not go to Cal with Martin leaving that could be something to look at Ozzie.

With Romar leaving, Washington has a top 50 CG in Daejon Davis and a 4 star recruit SG in Jaylen Nowell who also may want to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
Prolly will stay out west or follow Cuanzo to Mizzou

Oz what about the Miles Simon kid from Mt. St. Mary the team that went toe to toe with Nova for the 1st half.

The kid is 6'5 with great handle, good shooting form, and plays with toughness. Only a freshman. When I saw him play I was hoping we could see his interest level. His skill set is way above the level he is currently playing in. Looks like Jeremy Lamb 2.0

Wouldn't be able to play next year but I think he is well worth a look.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone left playing in the tourney relying on grad transfers............
I haven't seen any

Grad transfers are players not good enough to play pro overseas, which is another way of saying they are not good enough for UCONN

Its time to recruit better than settling for mediocre stopgaps

Out of curiosity, is there anyone left playing in the tourney relying on grad transfers............
I haven't seen any

Grad transfers are players not good enough to play pro overseas, which is another way of saying they are not good enough for UCONN

That's not true .

I haven't seen any

We have holes to fill.

I disagree about grad transfers not being good enough. For various reasons which have been well documented, UConn has had some small recruiting classes, made smaller by early departures (hence no seniors on next year's team). To fill the spots, they can either take in some large classes, or use grad transfers. Large classes at a school like UConn, by their nature, will include some projects who will take up a scholarship for four years. Grad transfers bring a known skill set, and only take up an otherwise unused scholarship for one year. Personally, I think UConn already has too many question marks on the roster to use a scholarship for four years on another project. I'll take the grad transfer.

This kid averaged 18.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg and 3.1 assists per game. He is the son of former Cleveland Cavs Coach Mike Brown, so basketball smarts can be assumed. However, his shooting stats were terrible: 37.9% FGs and 33% 3 point FG% is palpably unimpressive. Very good FT shooter though. Sounds like he was taking too many shots shooting at those percentages. If his defense is any good (looks like he has a good body), might be worth the one year scholly but I thought we were signing up for someone who can shoot? He has had two really bad college seasons shooting the ball, was slightly better his junior year but is a career 39% FG shooter. Unimpressive.

This kid averaged 18.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg and 3.1 assists per game. He is the son of former Cleveland Cavs Coach Mike Brown, so basketball smarts can be assumed. However, his shooting stats were terrible: 37.9% FGs and 33% 3 point FG% is palpably unimpressive. Very good FT shooter though. Sounds like he was taking too many shots shooting at those percentages. If his defense is any good (looks like he has a good body), might be worth the one year scholly but I thought we were signing up for someone who can shoot? He has had two really bad college seasons shooting the ball, was slightly better his junior year but is a career 39% FG shooter. Unimpressive.

Might be one of those instances where he was forced to the man and thus taking shots he wouldn't be taking if he was a role player on another team. That could help him fg% get into the 40s.

But who knows if he wants to settle being a 3rd/4th option or bench player

That was my read on his stats as well. I don't know how good New Mexico was, or if he was their sole main man player and got double and triple teamed. But he may not want to be a role player, he may want to step in and be a starter on a team that needs a starting 2 guard.

Rice's head coach is leaving to accept the vcu job

Egor might be in play now, possibly?

I liked all of what I read about Egor Koulechov - very good shooter and looks like he has a solid athletic build which might suggest he could provide better than the average Eurodude type lackadaisacal defense, maybe not like Giffey-type defense but at least keeps his man honest. Has anyone seen the kid play in games? We know he can shoot 3s, but he can defend athletic 2s?

Maybe Ozzie can make another call? And also ask him how is his defense?

Last edited:
Carroll had some very good stats,17.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, shot 53.7% FGs and 44.4% on 3s. 6'6". Good FT shooter. Only 1.2 assists per game. Has improved significantly each of his 3 years at OSU.

Clearly a starter on almost any Division 1 team so not sure if he would be interested in joining a crowded backcourt.

Last edited:
Shayok's profile may be more in line with what UConn is looking for than some of the other guys who have been thrown out in this thread who will be hunting starting jobs. He was a 20 minute per game guy last year off the bench averaging 9 points game. Shooting stats were okay- didn't shoot 3s well last year but is 37% for his career. His rebounding and assist stats are a little soft for the minutes he was playing. I would expect a little better than 2.4 rpg from a 6'6" guard but then again it's probably better than what Phil Nolan averaged his last year. Can he play good D? I would think his minutes came from his defensive abilities given that he has not been much of a scorer although 9 ppg for a bench guy playing 20 minutes a game is decent.

Could he be another Kromah? Kromah was a nice guy to have come off the bench........he sparked that 2013-14 in some games, with his D.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about grad transfers I'm worried that a stud like Sterling Gibbs can be meh here

Gibbs wasn't really a stud. He was a good shooter but couldn't play point guard which is what he was asked to do. You can't have two weak handles in the backcourt. Gibbs couldn't turn the corner on anyone who was half decent on defense. This isn't an issue with Adams and certainly will not be with Gilbert.

Coaches know about Mayok now... let's see what happens!

KO told me he is on it....

Last edited:
Coaches know about Mayok now... let's see what happens!

KO told me he is on it....

Hopefully you told Coach "Shayok" and not "Mayok." The name Mayok reminds me too much of Majok and I still am trying to figure out what happened there

Gibbs wasn't really a stud. He was a good shooter but couldn't play point guard which is what he was asked to do. You can't have two weak handles in the backcourt. Gibbs couldn't turn the corner on anyone who was half decent on defense. This isn't an issue with Adams and certainly will not be with Gilbert.

If Gibbs wasn't a stud idk what you call it but I didn't think I had to qualify his strengths on this forum. He was a catch and shoot guy who spent his Uconn season stuck in a weave 25 feet from the basket, considering we agree on his capabilities why was that THE offense?

Gibbs was a good catch and shoot guy but that isn't what UConn needed. What UConn needed was a ball handler and penetrater. Next year they will have 3 guys who can do that in Adams, Gilbert and MAL. I also didn't think Gibbs was anything special athletically or on defense. He was really just a good shooter. I assume the coaches thought Gibbs could handle the adjustment to a point guard role better than he did. It's just not what he was built for. He probably wanted to showcase his point guard abilities to pro teams but what they learned is that he is a 6'1" shooting guard. And of course Kemba Walker was a 5'11" shooting guard but he was dynamic and could turn the corner on anyone and get in the lane whenever he wanted. He and Khalid El Amin were studs. El Amin in the 1999 championship game in the critical closing minutes of that game was dribbling through the entire Duke team and getting to any spot on the floor he wanted. KEA had a low and sneaky dribble and could maneuver the ball through traffic as he pleased. Gibbs couldn't carry the jockstrap of either Kemba or KEA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT