ADVERTISEMENT

Samson

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
" Throughout the final months of what ended up being the UConn men’s basketball team’s championship season, Hurley & Co. had to “recruit” some of their own players to remain with the team. Perhaps the toughest task? Samson Johnson....“We started re-recruiting Samson with six weeks to go before the season ended,” Hurley recalled. “We had those conversations, ‘Please, don’t leave.’ Obviously, other schools were trying to recruit other players off our roster, but they didn’t successfully do it with Samson.”......."There are going to be minutes with Adama (Sanogo’s) departure.....backing up Alex Karaban at the four and Donovan Clingan at the five could lead to plenty of minutes for Johnson, who said his foot is 100-percent healthy."

"during last year’s preseason, Hurley proclaimed Johnson and Jordan Hawkins were his two most impressive players. Hawkins went on to become an NBA lottery pick. Johnson, however, suffered a foot injury after UConn’s season-opening game, missed the next 2 ½ months"....A lengthy, athletic rim-protector who can step back and hit a 3, when asked if he’s anxious to show UConn fans what he can do after not seeing the floor much his first two seasons.

“Facts, fact, facts,” he said. “Yes, I can’t wait. I believe in myself, the coaches believe in me. I just have to put the work in. “I’m just coming in to have a great year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT