ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy Game Thread

Silk31

Jan 18, 2008
Miller and Brimah with two cheap fouls right away, not a good sign for us

Our half court offense totally lost as per usual. We are going to need to use our D to generate some offense in this one

Wow this team is soft. Come out as weak as can be, very disappointing start

Miller has no clue how to play defense without fouling. Picks up a stupid 2nd foul and with him on the bench we will be in trouble

Run your offense towards the hoop, take care of the fricken rock 4 TO's already, stop passing around the perimeter with this putrid O that has bigs
catching it 20 ft away from the hole...SMH !

Last edited:
If the refs are going to let Cincy play defense without calling one defensive foul on them then we are certainly in trouble

And get useless Omar off the court with this small ball.... there's a reason you won the NC with him never coming off the bench.

Oh and now he's going even smaller with Sam jr.... KO wake ....TFU.....your panicking !!@ !!

Well .... typical KO move.... go smaller when your getting killed on the boards ( where's Facey)....forgets who he has on the bench ( now puts in Adams ? for SCJ) his rotations have no rhyme or reason

Last edited:
Yea we have no shot at this game...down 9 and can't score or defend

It's going to be a 3 game sweep by Cincy and UConn is off to the NIT second straight year.

Can any of the recruits UConn signed back out? Will that happen?

Can't score and they give Cincy easy points with these unforced TO's ( 10 already !!!!!!!!!! in the 1st half) . but even worse probably half that lead to easy baskets.... that they'll never get back vs. a Cincy D that gives them nothin' cheap !!!

Last edited:
And another thing KO your not the Golden State Warriors ......Gotta be great playing D vs. a team that just wants to move the ball on the outside farther and farther away from their own basket !!! Who came up with this useless set ? Anyone one ever heard of a fake cut to get open or even a back door play ....? an elbow screen... this putrid offense circles more than the Daytona 500.... Finally looked like they woke up and tried to take it to the hole late in the half.... but it's probably to late...

Last edited:
Wowww what a tale of two halves here. Our boys are playing with some of the best emotion we have seen from them all year long.

Keep it rolling - Gibbs and Miller playing like they want to be in the Tourney. Come on fellas finish strong!

At the under 4 mark up 5 with chance to push it to 7 with DHam to the line for 2...this is the season here boys

I really can't believe this is happening again...way too fitting

Yup, go to hole to get the lead now stand around circling on the perimeter like a bunch of fricken victims....
and great play KO make 3 passes to get the Gibbs the ball and waste most of your 12 secs for a desperation 3 in OT (EDIT OT #1)...dumb

Last edited:
WE HAD IT ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Silk31
That is one of the most epic games I've ever seen. Jalen will forever be a UConn legend for that game alone.

I think we all thought this team was mentally soft and they proved that notion wrong. Let's go fellas, let's win this whole damn thing and ride this incredible momentum and do some damage in the tourney!

Ahhhhh I'm still losing my mind - what a freakin game!

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Funny thing on replay>>>D-Ham is demanding that Jalen takes the ball out and throws it in to Him.... LOL....D-Ham thankfully the FR didn't listen to you !!!!!!!!

The shot heard round the world take 2.

Was this the play that finally woke the beast? The rest of college basketball hopes not.

On a sour note, if KO ever calls a last second shot for Gibbs again, I'm going to drop him.

You need to drop kick Gibbs Canolee!!!
.... Gibbs got them back in the game in the 2nd half with his 3's but KO's gotta stop giving him the ball in isolation out of a timeout when he needs a penetration
drive to win the game...especially when he has JA and D-Ham who were doing it effectively to get back the lead..

Reactions: CaNOLEE
What was truly epic about that shot by Adams is that with 0.8 seconds all you have time to do is catch and shoot, which is what Adams did, but rarely if ever is it that easy to catch and shoot as smoothly as Adams did. If you watch the replay, Jalen's shot actually looks quite fluid and effortless, given that he had 0.8 to get it off. It was a remarkable shot, up there with any shot ever made at the buzzer in UConn history.

Jalen also looked to me to have a very good body language today, and I noticed he nailed some elbow jumpers which had been Napier's forte. I wonder if they showed him some tape of Shabazz because they ran a play which was the exact same play they ran against Michigan State late in the game when Napier nailed that open elbow jumper in that Elite 8 epic game.

UConn needed heroics from Adams, and got the heroics, now they have to keep it going.

What was truly epic about that shot by Adams is that with 0.8 seconds all you have time to do is catch and shoot, which is what Adams did, but rarely if ever is it that easy to catch and shoot as smoothly as Adams did. If you watch the replay, Jalen's shot actually looks quite fluid and effortless, given that he had 0.8 to get it off. It was a remarkable shot, up there with any shot ever made at the buzzer in UConn history.

I heard Cronin's crying as usual...he questions the time.....I got news for you Mick ...look at when your players shot went in.....Time keeper should have stopped the clock with about 1.3 when the ball went through the hoop.

Oz, Blades is right, Gibbs looked good coming off that screen for 3, But he couldn't take me off the dribble. And I've said all year, he made two in a row, why did we have to wait twenty minutes for the third shot?

Another good point Blades is how Jalen and Ham were effective breaking their defenders down late in the shot clock and getting good looks. Add in Miller in the post, Brimah finishing alley oops, kick and shoot 3s from Gibbs, fast break run outs and open 3s from Purvis and this team becomes dangerous. But they have to rebound consistently.

Final stats show UConn was outrebounded 54-47, but UConn shot much better than they did the first two games against Cincy- 44% FGs and 22-24 FTs (91.7%). That's a good shooting % for a postseason game against a very tough D. In addition, Cincy only shot around 38% and 73% on FTs. The better shooting team won. However, UConn is a little weak inside and if they make it to the NCAA tournament, this will likely eventually be exposed. They are consistently outrebounded this year by the better teams.

This team shoots FTs much like the 2014 team did. The 2014 team was 77% on the regular season and the record setting 88% in the 6 NCAA tourney games. FT shooting is imperative and decisive in some of these gritty postseason games.

I get a little cranky in game but some of my 1st half observations above were:

cut down the TO's ..10 in the first half....only 1 in the 2nd ......check

Stop with circling offense 30 feet from the hoop..... check...they made their whole comeback and took the lead because as you mentioned Canolee...D-ham and JA off the dribble..then mysteriously with a 7 point lead in regulation they started the stagnant pass it around the outside crap....

no more Omar....or Sam JR....check....they didn't play a second in the 2nd half and magically Uconn made their comeback with a bigger team to defend Cincy and try and battle with em' on the boards....saw KO even used both Brimah and Nolan together at one point in the 2nd.....He's gotta stop this small ball stuff with a weak rebounding team as it is ..cut the rotation to 8 !!! ....Brimah/Nolan, D-Ham, Miller ,Gibbs, Purvis / Jalen and Facey

Last edited:
Khalid, Miller's easily been our most consistent player this year when he can keep himself on the court, but one rebound is embarrassing.

How exhausted will they be tomorrow having played 1.5 games today? Blades, maybe we need more bench against Temple to keep their legs fresh? But I definitely agree with a scaled back rotation once the big dance starts.

Here is incredible court level video of Jalen Adams bank shot and its aftermath- if you watch the body language of Cincy players they gave up on the play and thought the game was over:

Gibbs was a disgrace in this game. I wish they kept track of plus minus. Gibbs sitting and Jalen running point is when we looked like a team. Gibbs didnt shoot much but his shot selection was berserk. Pre-determined three point catch and shoot heaves from 30 feet. His defense was pitiful. We overcame Gibbs. FREE JALEN.

Cronin is a horrific coach. HIs offense in the last 20 minutes (all of OT) consisted of a 1/4 set with Caupain left to do something at the top with single digits on the shot clock. This is why his program never does anything in March.
Keep coaching up defense and effort Mick

Reactions: anon_65nwv98c2idwc
Blades, maybe we need more bench against Temple to keep their legs fresh? But I definitely agree with a scaled back rotation once the big dance starts.

Yeah I could see some Omar in small doses but please no more small ball KO or broken down Sam Jr.

Gibbs has to play because there are no other guard bodies. Plus Purvis has an extremely unreliable handle. Someone has to play with Adams, it's either Gibbs or Purvis. Gibbs' defense would be acceptable if he knocked down more 3s. He is really a catch and shoot guy, that is what he does best, but they don't get enough ops for him to be a net positive on the court. I have no explanation of why this hasn't improved with Jalen on the ball. It is inexplicable.

Reactions: the Blades
Gibbs has to play because there are no other guard bodies. Plus Purvis has an extremely unreliable handle. Someone has to play with Adams, it's either Gibbs or Purvis. Gibbs' defense would be acceptable if he knocked down more 3s. He is really a catch and shoot guy, that is what he does best, but they don't get enough ops for him to be a net positive on the court. I have no explanation of why this hasn't improved with Jalen on the ball. It is inexplicable.

Correct ...Gibbs played 54 out of 60 minutes ...they have to use him.... who they gonna bring in Sam Jr. ??? ...but get him off the ball with Jalen running the show .... it changes everything

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT