ADVERTISEMENT

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition 2

ChiefOO

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2021
Good win. Bouknight and Cole continue to play excellent on offense. Cole is in a zone mentally. Jackson’s passing /defense/dunks and Martin’s rebounding/activity supplement the scoring of the big two. Additionally, good to see Gaffney showing what he does in practice. He showed athleticism going to the hoop. When the ball moves everyone plays well. Sanogo shows he can rebound and score inside. Chief likes his screens too.

But, of course Bouknight is the main man and his offensive talents are there for all to see. However, Chief thought Donny brought up a good point and it’s yet another reason why from a basketball perspective he should stay another year. Bouknight tries to avoid people on his drives when sometimes he should be taking it strong to the body of the opponent. If he stayed another year and got stronger he could do that more without injury and get more foul shots. His % from the line is good.

In the first half, our FG percentage was over 20% better than Marquette (51% to 30%) and good ball movement led to low turnovers (just 5). Our centers though continue to pick up fouls, with (5) combine with Whaley, Sanogo and Carlton in the first half. Just more evidence why having them cover a dribbler 25 feet away from the basket isn’t a good thing. The good part also included 9 fast break points and a double digit rebound advantage. Fastbreak is better than half court.

During the second half UConn committing foolish fouls kept Marquette in the game. Ridiculous being in the double bonus with 9 minutes to go. Guys need to know where good defense ends and let your opponent take a difficult shot without reaching or jumping into him. Whaley while a good defender isn’t a good post defender against a good post player. But, zero turnovers help.
Chief does think our delay game towards the end needs work. I also thought we needed Sanogo’s interior game. But, Polley’s corner 3 was big and Jackson’s dunks.

Finally, Chief would like to thank all who participate in the basketball discussion. Chief always says the original post is just the appetizer to the main meal - the discussion. Thank You.

Last edited:
Yeah the foul fest in the 2nd was the only thing helped Marquette even make an attempt to get it to single digits. Might have been the refs getting bored. But RJ, since the benching, is finally driving the ball and playing aggressive on offense, so that ended any chance of it happening. On to Seton Hall and locking up a bid with a W.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE and ChiefOO
The fouling was ridiculous, I dvr’ed it and watched last night and I think they called three on me.

We’ve never gotten a whistle in conference like some of the other elite programs, but I think that actually helps us come tourney time. Because no one is expecting a call to bail them out.

Good to see Cole getting into a groove late in the year,

Get in the tournament and anything can happen. ;)

The fouling was ridiculous, I dvr’ed it and watched last night and I think they called three on me.

We’ve never gotten a whistle in conference like some of the other elite programs, but I think that actually helps us come tourney time. Because no one is expecting a call to bail them out.

Marquette had 12 more FT’s than us (21 to 9). Fortunately, we shot 89% on the few FT’s we did have. Turnovers though worked in our favor 15 to 7. That was a very senior officiating crew for the national TV game, so we do need to look into the mirror some and see technique wise what we are doing wrong.

We’ve never gotten a whistle in conference like some of the other elite programs,
but I think that actually helps us come tourney time. Because no one is expecting a call to bail them out.
True story....it looks like the SR crew got bored by the score and tried to make the game interesting again. They can make the calls all they want, but a fair and consistent whistle was not the flavor of the game......Take the win, move up in the NET (#36) and close out this thing with a lock for tourney time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ChiefOO and CaNOLEE
Sometimes Chief forgets they are college kids and can experience remarkable growth in a short period of time. I think even though Cole was an upper class-man a light switch went off in combination with his benching and the return of Bouknight. Truly an amazing thing to see.

Nice article today from the Courant on RJ and his transition. The biggest thing seems like there is alot more attacking and alot less dribbling or handing off to the bigs, 25 feet away, running out the shot clock. I don't know if it had more to do with DH saying they couldn't win games played in the 70's when Bouk was out. But RJ has been a different player off the dribble. Maybe not James Harden like, as the TV crew were calling it in the G-Town game, but he's playing more like a taller version of KEA in his latest run. With a great ASST/TO ratio (4.2-1.9) on the year and shooting 46.2 percent over the last five games.

ALT LINK: https://outline.com/dCkChu

Last edited:
Nice article today from the Courant on RJ and his transition. The biggest thing seems like there is alot more attacking and alot less dribbling or handing off to the bigs, 25 feet away, running out the shot clock. I don't know if it had more to do with DH saying they couldn't win games played in the 70's when Bouk was out. But RJ has been a different player off the dribble. Maybe not James Harden like, as the TV crew were calling it in the G-Town game, but he's playing more like a taller version of KEA in his latest run. With a great ASST/TO ratio (4.2-1.9) on the year and shooting 46.2 percent over the last five games.

ALT LINK: https://outline.com/dCkChu
The resemblance to KEA was noticed yesterday. Cole has that nice floater in the lane and plays with little fear and a fair amount of enthusiasm. He will take big shots, and that late three of his pretty much slammed the door on Marquette. The starting guard play of Cole and Bouk is at or near the level of prior championship teams.

This invoking of my namesake takes his name in vain. While Cole has been very effective with the short floating jumper when he penetrates into the lane, something KEA was also deft at, KEA was the best ball handling guard in UConn history. Cole's handle not as tight and close to the floor as KEA's. Did you guys forget when he dribbled through the whole Duke team in the 1999 championship game and then floated a short jumper over Brand? That was one of the highlights of that game. Cole is good, but he isn't on the same level as KEA. I would also consider KEA a more vocal leader than Cole, who told people where they needed to be. That being said, Cole-Bouknight backcourt is very good.

Did you guys also forget about this? Has Cole ever won a game like this or hit 2 FTs to win a national championship?

This invoking of my namesake takes his name in vain. While Cole has been very effective with the short floating jumper when he penetrates into the lane, something KEA was also deft at, KEA was the best ball handling guard in UConn history. Cole's handle not as tight and close to the floor as KEA's. Did you guys forget when he dribbled through the whole Duke team in the 1999 championship game and then floated a short jumper over Brand? That was one of the highlights of that game. Cole is good, but he isn't on the same level as KEA.
Do you even read....."he's playing more like a taller version of KEA in his latest run. " Nobody handled or managed game situations like KEA, so spare us the history lesson, but with the shorter tank like build and after WOJO's comments I posted in the post game thread... he's had a much better run than he was showing earlier in the year so " Lighten up Francis "

When Calhoun’s recruits cleared out, the talent on the floor took a real hit. A guy like Jalen Adams would have been like a fourth guard on a Calhoun team. The fact that Hurley got some guys who by their play are beginning to remind fans of past great players is a super encouraging sign.

When Calhoun’s recruits cleared out, the talent on the floor took a real hit. A guy like Jalen Adams would have been like a fourth guard on a Calhoun team. The fact that Hurley got some guys who by their play are beginning to remind fans of past great players is a super encouraging sign.
I think Adama was better than a fourth guard on a Calhoun team, but Chief was disappointed he did not have the focus and discipline to improve as much as he could have during his college days.

I think Adama was better than a fourth guard on a Calhoun team, but Chief was disappointed he did not have the focus and discipline to improve as much as he could have during his college days.

He was a disappointing player. I remember, in particular, a game at Temple in which UConn led by 10 at half. He was then benched for insurbordination by Kevin Ollie in the second half after words were exchanged with the coaches and UConn folded second half and lost the game. His career was filled with these kinds of incidents. He lacked discipline and often looked gassed at the end of games when he was most needed. He might have been better under Calhoun or Hurley, but we will never know.

Good job. The Briefs are definitely missed on the Yard.
Thanks. Chief has been getting that feedback. It’s amazing how well it’s been received given the clone crew that wakes up every day with no positive goal in life other than the negative mindset of trying to sabotage the Briefs through tactics no forum should allow like bumping old threads for the sole purpose of burying new ones or copying it under their name to confuse and dilute other posters. They have no posting talent of their own or record of success, so this is how they spend their time.

Last edited:
He was a disappointing player. I remember, in particular, a game at Temple in which UConn led by 10 at half. He was then benched for insurbordination by Kevin Ollie in the second half after words were exchanged with the coaches and UConn folded second half and lost the game. His career was filled with these kinds of incidents. He lacked discipline and often looked gassed at the end of games when he was most needed. He might have been better under Calhoun or Hurley, but we will never know.
Agree with your observations.

@ChiefOO, I made this for you. How do you like my talent now?

..... (¯`v´¯)♥
.......•.¸.•´
....¸.•´
... (
☻/
/▌♥♥
/ \ ♥♥

Reactions: ChiefOO
Sanogo will be the key guy during the next two games. We went from having 4 -5 centers on the roster to just two healthy ones with Josh’s injury. Brown transferred and Akok is not physically ready for a meaningful contribution. When he swelled up after making a few good plays against Xavier as I recall, that was not a good sign for Akok this season.
Danny has got to stop putting Sanogo in a foul prone role playing defense 25 feet away from the basket. Given our current center depth, this is more true than ever. IW is also capable of picking up quick fouls, even as a senior. The J Brown transfer is something we will live to regret a couple years from now.

Last edited:
I think Adams was better than a fourth guard on a Calhoun team, but Chief was disappointed he did not have the focus and discipline to improve as much as he could have during his college days.
Without a doubt, he had better size, skill set, athleticism and vision than the majority (as a package) of PG's that have played for Uconn. Where he lacked was playing on the worse teams since Calhoun, for a lazy coach, who couldn't even direct his own life let alone the kids he brought in. And Jalen was no self motivator or not enough as he should've been.

Last edited:
+1, if he had a career with Calhoun or Hurley didn't take over for Jalen's last year, when all the bad habits were already instilled, he'd be in the NBA right now instead of tearing it up in the G-League. I told ya who my nephew is and who he was good friends with. He said to a man after the other guy was gone and Hurley came in, they didn't feel like they were even coached by the former.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, he had better, size, skill set, athleticism and vision than the majority (as a package) of PG's that have played for Uconn. Where he lacked was playing on the worse teams since Calhoun for a lazy coach, who couldn't even direct his own life let alone the kids he brought in. And Jalen was no self motivator or not enough as he should've been.
I liked Jalen on a personal level but he did not have that internal motor pushing him to greatest. Additionally, as you say, KO was unfortunately not in the position to provide guidance given his own situation at the time.

The J Brown transfer is something we will live to regret a couple years from now.
Unless the dam breaks ;) on a certain other big for Uconn...but may be tough seeing he's a Michigan fan.

Ha Ha, well your the attorney, just wanted clarification on that ...:D

Guys come on. We need to drop the middle school drama. Views down under 750 is not the trend we are looking for. This is supposed to be about the basketball discussion not a bunch of fake posters like alexd proving their mental illnesses.

We’ve got a top notch facilitator. Like Taliek running the offense Chief can raise the level of discourse. Let’s not ruin that.

• Sad
Reactions: ChiefOO and mano365
+1, if he had a career with Calhoun or Hurley didn't take over for Jalen's last year, when all the bad habits were already instilled, he'd be in the NBA right now instead of tearing it up in the G-League. I told ya who my nephew is and who he was good friends with. He said to a man after the other guy was gone and Hurley came in, they didn't feel like they were even coached by the former.

I agree the talent and skill level was there. Hopefully, he matures enough and catches some breaks.

On the BY the moderator tried quarantining my OP after a game for 2-3 hours twice so other threads would be above it and it would be buried in the forum list. Here they tried the same thing a different way by replying to threads up to 7 years old, bumping them above it. Interesting.
Its amazing the power of the Briefs and the steps unhealthy people will take to try to sabotage them. The good news is we are in the final steps of identifying them. And what they did wasn’t internet responses protected by free speech it was specific coordinated actions with malicious intent that I have previously described.

Are you planning any legal recourse? I know a few of their real life identities...

My take on Adams is based upon his play on the court. If JC was the coach, Adams would have been a better player had he remained on the roster.

Chief got word that the UConn Vs Seton Hall game will be at 6:30 tomorrow, although the UConn website is still displaying TBD.
That's old news Chief, I've had it on my own calendar for over a week. But one thing I've learned over the years is don't expect Uconn to keep their own website updated & accurate.....You know.... it's only the face of the AD, why would they want to do that ? ...:confused:

Seton Hall BB Schedule

Creighton vs. Villanova follows at 8:30pm.
A good night for Big East basketball.
The UConn websites designs tends to bury useful information and then not update it on a timely basis. A game time of a game two days away should be considered to be key information.

Lol Chief with fake insider news getting scooped LOLOLOLOLOL

Hey Chief do we have a chance to land Vance Jackson? I’ll hang up and listen.

Reactions: Stainmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT