ADVERTISEMENT

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition 2

ChiefOO

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2021
Seton Hall came out with a purpose moving the ball and hitting 3 of their first 4 three point shots. In contrast, UConn seemed disjointed with no visible plan where they wanted to go with the ball. But, fortunately Seton Hall cooled off and UConn eventually settled down and then pulled ahead.

Whaley/Sanogo blocked a few shots, rebounded and Sanogo looked good posting like a man but finishing with a soft touch. The two Bigs along with Bouknight kept us in the game in the first half as Cole was 1 for 7. Whaley scored over 17 points and Sanogo 16 for the game. They combined for 19 rebounds as well.

You never knew early on that Bouknight is our star player given our lack of prioritizing him in our offense. Not sure why we take tonight’s two best players out at the same time when we start to substitute? It goes to adjusting the game plan or rotation to what’s going on in real time. We need to do a better job of that, but Danny did put Adama back in quickly.

Amazingly both teams were only 2 for 2 from the line the first half. That played a major role in our 1 point lead at the half. The defenses were tough so neither team drove to the basket much. However, Bouknight picked up some loose ball fouls and an illegal screen and had to sit and that really hurt us.

Chief has been looking for Jackson and Bouknight to play together but for a variety of reasons that did not happen much tonight. I do believe tonight was further evidence that UConn plays better when we pick up the tempo of the game. Transition offense off our defense or rebounding is the way to go. Cole played his best late as did Gaffney. I wonder about Akok, he is usually so affable but he seems to be understandably disappointed in his recovery.

Chief likes to see your stars finish the game knocking down foul shots. Bouknight snd Sanogo did that tonight. We are beating good teams by double digits. Can you say March madness?

Last edited:
Delighted with the win....felt like we won playing at 90% effort level, which means I think there was more to give to night if needed, but it wasn't.

Bench keeps getting smaller. Only 8 guys played tonight.

Team seems ready now for BE tourney play.

Reactions: Deepster.
No points from Martin and Polley on the road and we still win by 10+?

we are trending the right way, At the right time.

highest seed we can get if we won the BE tourney? 7? Maybe even a 6 If they consider Bouk’s injury?

Good point, Whaley and Sanogo co MVPs with a solid game from Bouknight.
Yeah almost a pair of double double's ...Whaley (17/10) also held Mamu to 7-20 shooting. Sanago (16/9)
Pretty much 4 guys did the offensive damage....RJ with a ton of key shots to stop runs..14 pts, only 1 TO

Reactions: CaNOLEE and ChiefOO
Martin has kind of disappeared as an offensive option since Bouknight and Jackson came back in rotation. But his rebounding and defense are irreplaceable. Did anyone notice the effective D he played on Mamu when called up on to cover him?

Reactions: CaNOLEE and ChiefOO
Chief would be remiss if I didn’t say how much I liked the way RJ searches and probes on offense now rather than forcing with a mind made up drive. He’s much more effective this way and as Hurley Sr said, he can can hit the 4 or the stop and pop.

Cole seems to have improved with his search and probes. In the beginning of the year he was retreating and dribbling around on the perimeter and now he is penetrating seams in the defense and hoisting up those short jumpers which are falling with regularity.

Martin has kind of disappeared as an offensive option since Bouknight and Jackson came back in rotation. But his rebounding and defense are irreplaceable. Did anyone notice the effective D he played on Mamu when called up on to cover him?
Good point and it’s always nice to see when a guy is de-emphasised on offense he doesn’t force things and still plays great defense. There will still be games where he will get his scoring in given matchups and flow of games.

Does anyone know the last time UConn had a 14-0 run against someone on the road? I am guessing you have to go back to Calhoun era since that happened. Although they did have a big run against Marquette earlier this year on the road when Marquette was up 17. Those are the kinds of things that you like to see. It's a sign of a team turning up D and imposing itself on the home standing opponent.

Reactions: ChiefOO
A characteristic of a good team is everyone knowing their role. It’s not that Martin can’t score it’s that with Bouknight in there, they need him to concentrate on defense more some games.

I am currently seeing a lot of confidence in play on the court. It is the right time of the season for that. Danny alluded to the fact that losing Bouknight was a blessing in disguise. Offense can be depended on from the others and that means opposing teams have to pick their poison.

7k Briefs views the last few games says otherwise. But, that's besides the point, some people like myself just enjoy the game and breaking it down. We aren’t here to try to monetize t-shirts off someone else’s notoriety or vent anger from childhood or whatever - we are here to talk UConn MBB.

I am currently seeing a lot of confidence in play on the court. It is the right time of the season for that. Danny alluded to the fact that losing Bouknight was a blessing in disguise. Offense can be depended on from the others and that means opposing teams have to pick their poison.
I think the guys are starting to look up court to run off rebounds and turnovers now. Sanogo really amazes Chief with his patience, hands and footwork for a Freshman. I see he eagerly sets screens also and teammates are starting to understand how helpful they are, if used properly. Unfortunately, that’s not learned today as much in HS or summer circuit - so needs to be taught in college.

I think the guys are starting to look up court to run off rebounds and turnovers now. Sanogo really amazes Chief with his patience, hands and footwork for a Freshman. I see he eagerly sets screens also and teammates are starting to understand how helpful they are, if used properly. Unfortunately, that’s not learned today as much in HS or summer circuit - so needs to be taught in college.
It's been mentioned that he was a soccer player first and came to basketball late. It's possible that they didn't have to spend as much time having him "unlearn" bad habits. And of course soccer is training for great footwork. Ndamukong Suh played soccer until he got to big for the players in his age cohort.

its good to have a few more folks in here to talk UConn hoops. Blades had single handedly Kept this board afloat. :p With KEA co Piloting.

that will make the double Natty’s in April all the more enjoyable. :cool:

It's been mentioned that he was a soccer player first and came to basketball late. It's possible that they didn't have to spend as much time having him "unlearn" bad habits. And of course soccer is training for great footwork. Ndamukong Suh played soccer until he got to big for the players in his age cohort.
Probably one of the Bigs with the best foot work Chief has seen was Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon and he played soccer also as a youth in Nigeria and started HS basketball at age 15.

Last edited:
For the first time in years, the team is starting to look like they expect to win games. the confidence is growing.

I would like to see more minutes going to Jackson and run some plays for an alley oop.

RJ and Bouk know they can get a bucket whenever it is needed.

Here is Hakeem executing his famed "dream shake" move to perfection on David Robinson, who was an NBA Defensive Player of the Year I think a couple of times:

Reactions: OldBosd
For the first time in years, the team is starting to look like they expect to win games. the confidence is growing.

I would like to see more minutes going to Jackson and run some plays for an alley oop.

RJ and Bouk know they can get a bucket whenever it is needed.
Jackson can be both the passer or the dunker. Just needs to tighten up his game some and improve his outside shot. He respects the game, so Chief expects that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT