ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn needs improvement

naes41

Feb 16, 2009
Defense is weak. Definite improvements by trying to get post up shots. No offensive rebounds. No consistency. Facey makes good plays and not on court. Phil is showing improvement out of the game. Purvis disappears. Hamilton needs to improve on decision making. Some signs of addressing the weaknesses.

UConn was outrebounded 42-29 on home court and got ransacked inside by Goodwin. I think UConn was fortunate to have Gibbs red hot, otherwise this game easily could have been a loss.

The individual players are greater than the sum of their parts. It doesn't seem like they are improving or coming together.That's Not uconn basketball and on the coaching staff imo . It's not too late, but it appears a lot of us overrated this team. As we did with Ollie after winning a natty in year two.

I would agree Canolee. It's been frustrating to watch and I feel like I am watching last season's team. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole for some reason and that's usually on the coaching staff. However you are correct that it is still early and things could be fixed.

Nobody has said it but Adams and Enoch have been disappointments in terms of their development. Both have talent but they were complete non factors last night. Adams may be overrated. He doesn't shoot well and his penetration is hampered by a handle that is not tight. Despite this he has better point guard instincts than Gibbs. The best point guard on the team is Hamilton and he has been horrible
3 straight games which isn't helping matters.

Adams is a pup and I thought Enoch would be a year away. Nolan is not very talented, but I think he does enough little things(take a charge, deflect a pass, move his feet, set a screen) to pick up the slack and help you win. Especially on this team with so many guys that seemingly only play well when they are scoring.

As for Hamilton, without the lob to Brimah, he doesn't look like a PG anymore. It's like a QB having his first option taken away and not knowing where to go with the ball. The great ones can go through their progressions. Hamilton looks lost and is back to forcing shots and converting a painfully low percentage.

But I agree, we need Adams down the stretch and developing PGs(decision making) should be easy for Ollie and Moore.

Just to compare Adams' freshman stats to Napier's:

Napier: 7.8 ppg, 3.0 apg, 37% FGs, 32% 3 point FGs
Adams: 5.7 ppg, 2.0 apg, 39% FGs, 19% 3 point FGs

I was expecting much more from Adams. I was expecting him to eventually start. He is not ready to start right now. I don't know if he will be this year. He isn't ready for this level of play mentally like Shabazz was, and his stats show he is a horrible 3 point shooter and not even a threat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT