ADVERTISEMENT

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition - 2

ChiefOO

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2021
Off to a 9-0 start with a face pace and Bouknight shot perfection. Georgetown is mared by turnovers and one missed shot trips.

Despite the good start, Chief doesn’t like the quick whistle stripes who keep putting Georgetown on the line for over half their points. Still we are starting to become the team of healthy double digit leads against conference teams. Quite frankly, a trend Chief likes.

The Dam Break kids (Bouknight 21 points and Gaffney 15 points ) are knocking down threes and Gaffney is now consistently showing the athleticism that Chief has said he’s demonstrated in practice all along.
Polley still doesn’t look comfortable in his shot prep but did hit 3 threes today, and if that ever gets remedied along with everything else our offense has now - that might be the knockout punch. Cole’s shot was also off today (1-7) and he was shaky with the ball and decision making, despite his recent excellent play and over 8 assists today on a hot shooting team. He needs to be reminded again, the best player on the court is on his team and it’s not him. No disrespect, just reality. Bouknight could have had an easy 30 today. But, spreading the wealth in a comfortable win is good for team morale.

Sanogo is starting to dominant both offensively and rebounding in the paint. Double / Double today. His defense has improved as well. Just needs to avoid fouls to get more minutes and consistency. Team rebounding UConn is up 23 to 9 at the half.

Kellogg picked up on Jackson’s passing, seeing the same gifted thing as Chief and others have seen.
Georgetown shot and played better the second half and while UConn maintained a decent but fluctuating lead it did not demonstrate the killer instinct Chief and I am sure Danny is looking for.
On to the Big East tournament and March Madness - NEXT team up!

Last edited:
They gave up 58 points in the 2nd...this team just about sleepwalked through the 2nd half, with lazy ball handling and treated defense like it was the plague. Not impressed with the to cool for school attitude, in a game they won on talent, rather than team effort.

ps. can't let this stuff sneak into tourney time.

They gave up 58 points in the 2nd...this team just about sleepwalked through the 2nd half, with lazy ball handling and treated defense like it was the plague. Not impressed with the to cool for school attitude, in a game they won on talent, rather than team effort.

Blair, Wahab and Bile are good players, so we need to give them their due. But, I agree we lacked the killer put them away instinct. But, progress over the last several years and a 16 point win.

Jackson has the passing gift.

I'll just say it - it feels so much better beating Georgetown and Patrick Ewing than it would anyone in the AAC. Beating Villanova and Jay Wright in the BET would be even better.

What is making this team dangerous is everyone is comfortable in their roles and embracing them.

Blair, Wahab and Bile are good players, so we need to give them their due. But, I agree we lacked the killer put them away instinct. But, progress over the last several years and a 16 point win.
I hear ya Chief and I LOVE the progress, but 58 points in a half ?..... they don't give up that in an entire game alot of times. This was Uconn's weak effort not G-town's players.... I'm confident DH won't let bad habits linger.....it almost sad, heading into the BE tourney, they won a game with only 20 minutes of solid play. So hopefully they understand this.....it's not like they should be worn out like an NBA team who play 80+ games a year.....They've played 20.

Reactions: CaNOLEE and ChiefOO
UConn was lazy on D in the second half but Georgetown started playing harder and that was part of it. I still overall liked what I saw. I didn't know if Brendan Adams was still on the team until he came in at the end and was relieved to know he is still available if they need him.

Was disappointed that Andy Hurley didn't hoist a 3 after Sanogo got him the ball and set a screen for him. Come on! It's not poor sportsmanship when a walk on player comes in the game and hoists a 3. It's called getting in the scoring column. The bench would have exploded if he drained a 3. Who cares about Georgetown. I saw Ewing and his teams beat UConn by 38 in the Big East tournament. They didn't care. It's called turn the tables baby!

Reactions: CaNOLEE
UConn was lazy on D in the second half but Georgetown started playing harder and that was part of it. I still overall liked what I saw. I didn't know if Brendan Adams was still on the team until he came in at the end and was relieved to know he is still available if they need him.

Was disappointed that Andy Hurley didn't hoist a 3 after Sanogo got him the ball and set a screen for him. Come on! It's not poor sportsmanship when a walk on player comes in the game and hoists a 3. It's called getting in the scoring column. The bench would have exploded if he drained a 3. Who cares about Georgetown. I saw Ewing and his teams beat UConn by 38 in the Big East tournament. They didn't care. It's called turn the tables baby!
I would have been good either way with Andy Hurley. The tie breaker might have been his Dad being coach - so with the public what he does is more under the microscope and he had no opportunity to warm up a little before hoisting up a deep shot.

UConn was lazy on D in the second half but Georgetown started playing harder and that was part of it. I still overall liked what I saw.
I'd agree overall.... the Uconn fan in me loved the offense, the way they got at it in the 1st half, the SR night festivities and what turned into an overall celebration with everyone except Andrew getting into the scoring column. But the part of me who played hoops and coached the game, looks at it more critically and just hopes the team is mature enough to turn the intensity back up @ MSG.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiefOO
On the list of things I'm worried about, poor defense when they are up by 30 in the second half is pretty far down the list.

I always like when the walk-ons score because it is a team celebration of a dominate victory.

Totally agree I give a pass on lazy D up 30 especially because Georgetown played hard and was trying not to be embarrassed.

Walk ons are in the game for one reason and that is to score. I will never forget when Sami Ameziane went in the game the student section at Gampel would erupt at his mere touch of the ball. He was the most popular walk on in UConn history and later became a professional comedian. An Ameziane score meant the house came down and money's worth for the ticket. It's a UConn tradition not to be messed with! I don't care what anyone says and Andy Hurley has to be told about the Sami Amezianes and other walk ons who came before him. The ball has to go up!!

Reactions: OldBosd and ChiefOO
I'd agree overall.... the Uconn fan in me loved the offense, the way they got at it in the 1st half, the SR night festivities and what turned into an overall celebration with everyone except Andrew getting into the scoring column. But the part of me who played hoops and coached the game, looks at it more critically and just hopes the team is mature enough to turn the intensity back up @ MSG.

Hurley: “I’m gonna have these guys revved up for Thursday, I can guarantee you that.”

Reactions: CL82
I’m with Blades, 24 and then 58 points allowed feels like a Letdown. Coach should be able to use it as a coaching point.

am I the only one that is going to be disappointed if we don’t win the BE Tourney now?

Coach should be able to use it as a coaching point. am I the only one that is going to be disappointed if we don’t win the BE Tourney now?
I can think of a certain group of guys wearing Husky blue...DH mentioned the 2nd half D & playing to the score. But this (success and the Big Dance) is all new territory for this group..so I'm glad Dan's got this ! ....No easing up ....Finish em !

Reactions: CaNOLEE
The Casual Fan in all of us, except maybe The Blades, came out Today.
Bouknight’s advisors know now that Chief gave them the right guidance, by having him play. Chief always has the player’s best interest at heart.

If the dude (baby sheep) was making out with his girlfriend which is what distracted him from the game, may I suggest that there is this invention called a DVR which enables one to record the game and watch it at some other more convenient time, when such distractions arise. So that if you need to take care of business with your girlfriend you simply hit the record button and shut the TV off.

If you guys actually acquired degrees from UConn, I assume you should know this. I did attain a bachelor's degree from UConn which helps in figuring things like this out. I also helped my aunt stage appetizer night tonight after she worried about cooking times conflicting for all the apps and I suggested using her and cousin's toaster ovens for some of the apps as well as the main oven because multi ovens enables multitasking. Auntie said to me, "that's your college education kicking in."

Reactions: ChiefOO
If the dude (baby sheep) was making out with his girlfriend which is what distracted him from the game, may I suggest that there is this invention called a DVR which enables one to record the game and watch it at some other more convenient time, when such distractions arise. So that if you need to take care of business with your girlfriend you simply hit the record button and shut the TV off.

If you guys actually acquired degrees from UConn, I assume you should know this. I did attain a bachelor's degree from UConn which helps in figuring things like this out. I also helped my aunt stage appetizer night tonight after she worried about cooking times conflicting for all the apps and I suggested using her and cousin's toaster ovens for some of the apps as well as the main oven because multi ovens enables multitasking. Auntie said to me, "that's your college education kicking in."

If you aunt hawt?

Kinda sucks, some much great Chief insight in the briefs again but mostly trolls and little engagment. Worried about the view trend. Hopefully things pick up during the tournament where we could see briefs everyday.

Stop your trolling, you are not fooling anyone.

Chief if it weren’t for trolls you’d be having a conversation with 2 people.

One of them a guy posting news for years into an abyss.

You are so thirsty you reply to every post.

Stop trying to make fetch happen. Hilarious that you were broken by frowny face emojis. Emojis sent you down this insane path.

You’d be better off on myspace or friendster. That’s how ridiculous this is.

The funny part is the the basketball analysis sucks. OMG they allowed points in garbage time.

You are talking about this game like it’s a women’s game. They didn’t put them away and have a killer instinct.

Do you morans think they didnt have a killer instinct in the 2004 championship game?

Let them double team Sanogo. Georgetown actually did yesterday and Sanogo zipped a pass out of the double team to someone who was wide open underneath the basket. He knows what to do.

Let them double team Sanogo. Georgetown actually did yesterday and Sanogo zipped a pass out of the double team to someone who was wide open underneath the basket. He knows what to do.
Sanogo never ceases to amaze me. As George Blaney use to like to say - “he has a lot of answers”. You are correct, he quickly identified the double yesterday and quickly passed the ball. Another time he simply out maneuvered two guys with his footwork for an easy hoop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT