ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer does the administration allow this to continue

Former Courant writer Jacobs just covered all the bases in his " KO has gotta GO " article & added this... so $9 million is the number....SMH !!!.... nice job AD.... sign a contract that he can walk away from Uconn for zilch, but you have to empty the bank to fire him when he's stinkin' up the place!.....( What's that about 4 times the AAC's TV contract ?...gotta love this conference...:mad:..)

" This much is sure: More and more of the UConn fan base, to use an Ollie-ism, are 10 toes in on Ollie being replaced. To use another Ollie-ism, more and more are willing to eschew the escalator and climb the stairs to the highest points of Gampel Pavilion to call for his ouster. In some ways the sparse crowd of 5,065 for this game is the most damning statement of all. Fans and media ultimately do not determine a college coach’s future. The athletic director does. The school president does. Ollie’s contract runs through the 2020-21 season and the number due him if he were fired at the end of this season is somewhere north of $9 million. "

Full read: Gritty win over UCF keeps Ollie’s critics at bay

I already covered this contract stuff in an earlier post, Jacobs formerly of the Hartford Courant says it's north of $9 mil at the end of the year, which seems to be the only thing forcing this KO trainwreck to continue.

That really sounds like contract malpractice.....did absolutely nobody account for the possibility that Ollie might prove to be a bad coach?????? Or do something or nothing so as to warrant being fired? I don’t understand how the school could have entered into a contract so one sided that they are compelled to continue it, when all objective evidence suggests they should end it. You don’t enter contracts that you can’t eat if you have to, even the Yankees know this with Jacoby Ellsbury. That dude will be getting paid a lot of money to play on another team next year.

I already covered this contract stuff in an earlier post, Jacobs formerly of the Hartford Courant says it's north of $9 mil at the end of the year, which seems to be the only thing forcing this KO trainwreck to continue.
Blades, i wasn’t questioning your info. It’s just interesting that I’ve seen a few different versions & it looked like what i was reading was his contract. I agree with KSTW, the “north of $9M” just sounds crazy is all.

I hear ya Shaggy, this thread is so long, dating back to the win in Nov. over that BB powerhouse Columbia ( now 4-12, remember when KO was talking 'em up after his OT win ? ), that I questioned the info myself on KO's buyout and asked about it too, 3 weeks ago..when I linked that same Daily Campus article. ..

KSTW since you mentioned you do contracts here's the Link - Auriemma, Ollie sign extensions with UConn. KO's contract is there for public view, so what's your take ? The termination clause is Article 3.3. It sounds like .....if Uconn terminates without just cause before May 1, 2019, his total compensation shall vest, then it goes on to give an example of cutting ties on June 2017 that besides any other sum owed......... the $600,000 ( obligation within 10 days ) that the Daily Campus writer mentioned ( the confusion) in his article.

I didn't dig deeper, but unless for just cause, maybe that May 2019 date is the get out of jail free day from KO..... for Uconn and the fan base. ( unless sometime between now and then... Kevin STW )

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
That is what it looks like.......it seems like a guaranteed contract up until that point. So it seems like we could have another 1.5 seasons of this unless "just cause" materializes............

It’s not that simple and there are tons of cases saying that if the employee isn’t terminated for good cause he has an action for damages against the employer. Basically has to be serious misconduct. Isn’t Pitino suing Louisville right now saying he wasn’t terminated for good cause???

Reactions: UconNell
It’s not that simple and there are tons of cases saying that if the employee isn’t terminated for good cause he has an action for damages against the employer. Basically has to be serious misconduct. Isn’t Pitino suing Louisville right now saying he wasn’t terminated for good cause???
What Hooper posted is called a joke......:):):):):)

Reactions: UconNell
So, given that reading, it looks like the answer to the question in the title of the thread is “fifteen months and one week”.

Last edited:
That’s pretty much correct, unless Ollie gets arrested for drunk driving or smacks a girlfriend or gets busted for offering a prostitute $10 for a blow job like Clyde Vaughn. Vaughn is the only UConn coach I can recall who was fired for cause. Although if it were up to me I would not have fired him because in my book that issue was between Vaughn and his wife and not impacting on his employment.

An article dated April 20th 2015 - the contents of which can now only be described as laughable

Report: UConn’s Kevin Ollie Being ‘Seriously Considered’ to Replace Scott Brooks as Oklahoma City Thunder Coach

There have been plenty of reports over the last few days that Oklahoma City Thunder coach Scott Brooks is on the hot seat after his squad failed to make the playoffs this season. While Brooks is still the coach in OKC, a report by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv says that the team is seriously considering replacing him with former Thunder player and current UConn head coach Kevin Ollie.

In his three years at UConn, Ollie has established himself as one of the best coaches in college basketball, as he has accrued a 72-33 record. He has won at least 20 games in each of his three years, and in 2013-14, Ollie led the Huskies to a national title. Ollie also has ties to the Thunder, as he played with the squad in 2009-10. He was a teammate of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka during that time.

At some point you would only hope that Ollie gets so ashamed of his own performance he just quits for the greater good of UCONN.
I know I'm asking too much.

At this point nobody in the NBA is going to offer Ollie more than what he is making now so that’s not happening.

It seems like we as fans will just have to suck it up until May 2019. Hopefully he can keep the team around .500 but at this point I kind of doubt it. There are always the UConn girls if you at least want to see some good basketball being played by someone with UConn on the jersey.

That’s pretty much correct, unless Ollie gets arrested for drunk driving or smacks a girlfriend or gets busted for offering a prostitute $10 for a blow job like Clyde Vaughn. Vaughn is the only UConn coach I can recall who was fired for cause. Although if it were up to me I would not have fired him because in my book that issue was between Vaughn and his wife and not impacting on his employment.
So how do you think that would have played with a family when Vaughn was in a home recruiting a kid?

I can see it now. Kid: Only $10 for a BJ? Man, I'm heading to Connecticut!

Vaughn was the best big man coach UConn ever had. It’s too bad what happened to him. He certainly did much more than anyone in recent years has done.

KO's contract is there for public view, so what's your take ? The termination clause is Article 3.3. It sounds like .....if Uconn terminates without just cause before May 1, 2019, his total compensation shall vest, then it goes on to give an example of cutting ties on June 2017 that besides any other sum owed......... the $600,000 ( obligation within 10 days ) that the Daily Campus writer mentioned ( the confusion) in his article.

I didn't dig deeper, but unless for just cause, maybe that May 2019 date is the get out of jail free day from KO..... for Uconn and the fan base. ( unless sometime between now and then... Kevin STW )

So we have a mediocre coach who has recruiting problems (boy if this is what it takes to put together a bad team and low level recruits, what would he need to do for a good team and a bunch of 5 star guys ?)....maybe it is time for Kevin ( and his boy Chill ) to shock the world !

From USA today: UConn confirms NCAA investigation of men's basketball
" Coach Kevin Ollie is in the second year of a five-year $17.9-million contract that can be voided for "just cause."

Last edited:
Orlovsky says the AD may need an overhaul and:
Jim Penders as new UConn AD? Dan Orlovsky rips Connecticut athletics

"It's sad, it really is," Orlovsky said of the state of sports in Storrs. "I went to the Syracuse game at Madison Square Garden. Even looking at UConn during timeouts, they looked like the inferior team. They looked like a low level college basketball team, and they played like it too. It's sad."

"The AD is kind of a schmuck," Orlovsky told Metro. "The whole program is headed in the wrong direction. Rumor has it that they're looking at bringing in [baseball coach] Jim Penders in as AD. That's the rumor, but we'll see. They have to do something soon.
"

But regarding the P-5 thing Dan, you can start by blaming ESPN and their corporate raiding. Uconn got screwed when they poached/destroyed the old Big East
( who was actually a better FB conference when CR part one took place) to build up their TV contracted ACC, but there is really nothing the AD can do about it.

Last edited:
Orlovsky seems like a tell it like it is guy. For him to call the AD a “schmuck” tells me there are huge problems. UConn has lacked aggressive leadership in the last 10 years. John Toner was the last great UConn AD.

Well I would add Lew Perkins to that (good) list too. He was the guy who actually pushed Uconn to get into BCS Football years B4 it happened because if they didn't get ahead of it he knew Uconn would get left behind. He knew the big TV money was in football, but the CT politicians dragged their feet. But the Big East was always a clusterf$%k with the Catholic hoops schools having too much power..those dumb asses even blocked PENN ST ( article- Greatest Gift: Rejected By The Big East )....
" Penn State might have ended up in the same predicament UConn and Cincinnati currently face — large schools playing outside one of the Power 5 conferences "

If the Catholics hadn't dragged their feet and helped build up the FB conference (with Penn St., Miami, etc) instead ( Uconn even voted to add FB schools like Rutgers in the early 90's) it would have been the ACC getting poached by the BE.... not the other way around.

Last edited:
As an NFL player for 13 years, he really should know what is on the record and what is off.

I one time had what I thought was an off the record comment published in the media, relative to a pending legal case. It was a foreclosure case in which I had been assigned to do an auction on a designated historic property. A reporter called me, told me she had a friend interested in the property, and I thought the whole conversation was off the record. She did tell me she was a reporter, but didn’t indicate she was doing a story on the property and I certainly didn’t think anything I said was newsworthy. However she latched onto a colorful comment I made (and I am paraphrasing here, because I didn’t use this language) which implied that this property was better than the usual foreclosure properties I was assigned, and that the usual ones “sucked” (not the words I used but insert colorful degrading comment). I thought the comment would be interpreted as me throwing the Court under the bus for assigning me to do crappy properties, when the fact is a lot of them are in fact crappy and it’s a luck of the draw as to who gets assigned what. Fortunately this happened 10 plus years ago and no fallout occurred except it led to some calls about the property.

Moral of the story is when you talk to a reporter always clarify if you are on or off the record. Danny made the same mistake as me.

Moral of the story is when you talk to a reporter always clarify if you are on or off the record. Danny made the same mistake as me.

Especially when the reporter is a disgruntled Uconn grad, who craves for the old big east days.... that aren't coming back:
" The Metro reporter, Matthew Burke, is a UConn alum "

Dan was raised in the internet age so he doesn't know that you shouldn't say behind someone's back what you wouldn't say to their face.

Still pretty weak by the reporter to not make clear to the guy he's on record.

Dan simply said out loud what a lot of people are thinking. So to me it's a no harm, no foul situation in which someone exercised the free speech right. I am wondering what exactly Dave Benedict has done or accomplished since he has been at UConn. In my mind, he has accomplished squat, and has no basis to dispute what Dan said.

i believe this is the 1st time i’ve gone into a week during hoops season not knowing when or if the huskies were playing. and now that i know it’s USF i’m happy i’m traveling to MN....no disrespect to any Minnesotans but winters in Minneapolis can be brutal. meant to say 1st time since 1984....

Another thrilling season of UCONN men's basketball is in the books.
Just when you thought last year was rock bottom, I give you the 2017-2018 edition.

14-18
An RPI of 110+
7-12 in conference play
0 wins against the RPI Top-50
2 road wins
8 losses by 20 or more points, soon to be 9 with this SMU fiasco.
no post season play for a 2nd year in a row (forget the NCAA's, we cant even qualify for the CBI)

What will it take for this inept administration to take action?????????????????????????????
The NYC alumni that have contributed hefty dollars to the athletic program over the years will no longer until this pitiful situation is rectified.

Not a dollar for donations, tickets, fundraising.........we won't even turn on the TV to watch a game. NOTHING

I won't even waste time complaining about Ollie anymore.
He is a like a mental handicap put in an honor student class, of course he is going to fail.

Get off your ass Benedict and do something

He should wait to see if we get an invite to a post season exhibition at a north Korean re-education camp before making a rash decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT