ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer does the administration allow this to continue

K99, Melo is like kryptonite to winning. :)

The GM should take the fall but I'm sure Donovan will. And it may even happen before the season is over. Cooley seems in good standing at providence, so it's worth putting out feelers. I'd think living in OKC would be challenging for a New York/New England kid and his family. Storrs would almost be right in the middle of both.

I am also taking notice of Bobby Hurley at Arizona State.
ASU is just a stepping stone to something bigger.
Bobby is from Jersey City of course and the son of a legendary HS coach on the east coast.

He may be waiting out Coach K's retirement but in coaching you need to strike while the iron is hot

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I mean honestly, what will it take.
Losing seasons?
A half court shot away from missing the tourney 3 years in a row?
Never finishing better than 5th in the AAC?
Being blown out by mid level SEC teams on a neutral court?
Needing OT and a miracle to beat a bottom feeding IVY league team?
3800 people there to watch it?

WHAT WILL IT TAKE!
Should they start playing home games in a fieldhouse again?
Have their SNY contract cancelled?

What does the administration consider unacceptable?
Do they even care anymore?

On the behalf of many embarrassed UCONN alumni, please put Kevin Ollie out of his misery and restore pride to a program that worked so hard to earn its brand.

UCONN is on there way to becoming the blockbuster video or kodak of college sports.

Ugh...for the people who think they're going to see this team grow or gel feel free to wake at any point before we get smashed against the rocks over the next 3 games, they don't need more practice, they need team therapy

Billy Donovan will probably go to UCLA since Alford is looking very fireable and UCLA is a more desirable job.

K99, Melo is like kryptonite to winning. :)

The GM should take the fall but I'm sure Donovan will. And it may even happen before the season is over. Cooley seems in good standing at providence, so it's worth putting out feelers. I'd think living in OKC would be challenging for a New York/New England kid and his family. Storrs would almost be right in the middle of both.
I wouldn't count on that.

Billy Donovan and the ownership of the Thunder are pretty tight. I doubt one bad season would lead them to fire him.

Also, if they did there would probably be other NBA teams ready to hire him.

Donovan lived in tiny Gainesville, Fla. for almost 20 years and they LOVED it. Raised a family & helped start a Catholic school. I'm guessing that living in Oklahoma City is not that challenging. Hell OKC probably has two Best Buy stores, which would be one more than Gainesville.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Russ, just wishful thinking on my part.

I mentioned it to a providence booster buddy of mine. His take was a 2% chance and he personally wouldn't like it.

Their programs greatest win was beating us in the pre season this year, after all. ;)

Why does this guy still have a job ?....does anyone know what Uconn can buy him out for ? ....... I read KO can leave to an NBA job (LOL !!!!) without having to pay Uconn a departure fee...... " There is no exit fee if Ollie leaves for an NBA position. That was removed from Ollie's previous deal because former AD Warde Manuel left for Michigan. Ollie's contract includes a buyout of $500,000 if he leaves for a head or assistant coaching job at another NCAA Division I college this year. That fee decreases by $100,000 each year. "
That's all well and good for KO, but how much will it cost Uconn to get rid of him while he keeps sucking up the place ????? Did Uconn cover their ass for this possibility ? Why would the AD let him walk for nothing but they have to pay him big bucks to fire him ? We all knew it cost Uconn $3.4 mil to get rid of Diaco ....what about KO ??? .....Link - Auriemma, Ollie sign extensions with UConn. Read them .... Any lawyers out there who can figure out his contract ?

Why does this guy still have a job ?....does anyone know what Uconn can buy him out for ? ....... I read KO can leave to an NBA job (LOL !!!!) without having to pay Uconn a departure fee...... " There is no exit fee if Ollie leaves for an NBA position. That was removed from Ollie's previous deal because former AD Warde Manuel left for Michigan. Ollie's contract includes a buyout of $500,000 if he leaves for a head or assistant coaching job at another NCAA Division I college this year. That fee decreases by $100,000 each year. "
That's all well and good for KO, but how much will it cost Uconn to get rid of him while he keeps sucking up the place ????? Did Uconn cover their ass for this possibility ? Why would the AD let him walk for nothing but they have to pay him big bucks to fire him ? We all knew it cost Uconn $3.4 mil to get rid of Diaco ....what about KO ??? .....Link - Auriemma, Ollie sign extensions with UConn. Read them .... Any lawyers out there who can figure out his contract ?

From the article:

"Should Ollie be fired from his position as head coach during the contract, UConn will owe him $600,000."

From the article:

"Should Ollie be fired from his position as head coach during the contract, UConn will owe him $600,000."
Thanks Russ, that was my take too awhile ago ......but alot of posters on TOS ( the Boneyard) seem to think it's much more (like millions) that the school would owe him...

Last edited:
To me $500,000 isn’t that big of a swallow and it’s a swallow that UConn has to take. I had hoped that this would not be the case but the team isn’t good. The team is headed towards a losing season two years in a row. It’s not acceptable. That’s really the bottom line. The staff is being paid lots of money for nothing. They might as well hire a nobody division 2 coach who has succeeded and pay him chump change. Time to move on.

I will personally put up half of the 600k if I have a say in the new coach hire.
Literally I will drive a bag of cash from NYC and drop it on Benedict Arnold's desk.
They probably still wouldn't do it.

I was watching SportsCenter tonight and was reminded Tremont Waters is from New Haven.
We decided to take a pathetic grad transfer from Fordham who for his career averaged 8 points a game.

The donations are being pulled Benedict

No way Ollie is being bought out. If Vance Jackson and Enoch stayed this team would be on worse the 12 and 4

Reactions: Dominicfrank
From the article:
Thanks Russ, that was my take too awhile ago ......but alot of posters on TOS ( the Boneyard) seem to think it's much more (like millions) that the school would owe him...

Former Courant writer Jacobs just covered all the bases in his " KO has gotta GO " article & added this... so $9 million is the number....SMH !!!.... nice job AD.... sign a contract that he can walk away from Uconn for zilch, but you have to empty the bank to fire him when he's stinkin' up the place!.....( What's that about 4 times the AAC's TV contract ?...gotta love this conference...:mad:..)

" This much is sure: More and more of the UConn fan base, to use an Ollie-ism, are 10 toes in on Ollie being replaced. To use another Ollie-ism, more and more are willing to eschew the escalator and climb the stairs to the highest points of Gampel Pavilion to call for his ouster. In some ways the sparse crowd of 5,065 for this game is the most damning statement of all. Fans and media ultimately do not determine a college coach’s future. The athletic director does. The school president does. Ollie’s contract runs through the 2020-21 season and the number due him if he were fired at the end of this season is somewhere north of $9 million. "

Full read: Gritty win over UCF keeps Ollie’s critics at bay

Last edited:
Reactions: andersonfro
We are watching the weakest UConn team since 1986-87. This team is offensively completely dysfunctional. They can’t shoot, they can’t run offense, and they can’t manufacture offense off rebounds or defense, so the result is an abomination of offensive basketball. They are painful to watch.

Last edited:
We are watching the weakest UConn team since 1986-87. This team is offensively completely dysfunctional. They can’t shoot, they can’t run offense, and they can’t manufacture offense off rebounds or defense, so the result is an abomination of offensive basketball. They are painful to watch.
at least JC’s 1st team played harder defensively.

Reactions: the Blades
UCONN Is unwatchable.
There is no skill, athleticism, or strength on the roster.
There style of offense looks like something out of the 1950's.
They've apparently given up on trying to defend man to man and just sit in a passive zone.
The class coming in does not excite.

Its just bad boring basketball with no hope for improvement in sight.
How much longer does the administration allow this to continue?
The 3 years and 9 million left on Ollie's contract is peanuts compared to the punitive damages that will be done to the brand if he is allowed to coach out his contract.

Fire KO

Also for any KO apologist who believes being in the AAC is part of the reason he sucks as a coach or in his recruiting, don't look now but:

Is it a good thing or bad that we aren't the only one noticing ? . (also more conflicting info on his contract):

Yahoo Sports: UConn's latest blowout loss highlights how far the program has sunk under Kevin Ollie

"The Huskies have typically been somewhere between adequate and excellent defensively throughout his tenure, but they’ve devolved into a haphazard, rudderless mess at the offensive end. At times watching UConn play this year, you’d swear the only play Ollie draws up for his team to run is called “hero ball.”

Last edited:
I never thought I'd see UCONN slip back to this level
Its shameful

The only failure of JC was not grooming a successor
His coaching tree stinks

Even if we can rid ourselves of the epic failure that is KO, I have NO IDEA where we go from here. We need a savior

I made it to 1 min left in the 1st half before I turned the game off. Don't think I'll waste anymore time watching them this year.
i hear ya. but, for whatever reason i can’t seem to turn them off when i’m home. kinda like a train wreck...

I made it to 1 min left in the 1st half before I turned the game off. Don't think I'll waste anymore time watching them this year.

I did the exact same thing. I was on the treadmill watching it on DVR. I said I would keep going until it turned into a blowout. When UConn was stuck at 18 points, and Villanova went up by 15, the game was over.

There are a lot of good points in that article. One of them that is overlooked is that Warde screwed him with the interim title......really hurt him on the recruiting front after a title. HUGE mistake that we are still paying for now.

Ollie just isnt the guy. He cant recruit, he cant coach, he cant motivate, he cant stand the heat, he really isnt that good of a father/husband figure to win over a family in their living rooms.....

He has to go. Plain and simple. I have ZERO faith any recruits committed end up here and cant help but feel if they DID come would they be that good anyway.

I don't think anyone who has consistently watched this team would disagree that Ollie should be removed as coach. The only question in my mind is when will it happen? I don't think UConn will beat SMU and I think they are going to go under .500 both overall and in AAC league games fairly soon. UConn is one of the worst offensive teams in the nation and all of the stats back this up. Every game they play is losable. Two losing seasons in a row just is not acceptable.

I wonder what the real story is with Ollie's buyout. That article is the 2nd place I've seen $600K as the figure. If that's true, it would be a great deal considering the length of time and the amount left on the contract. However, most sources put the figure somewhere between 9 and 10 million, which is a much different scenario, and IMHO would be the deciding factor in UConn keeping him for at least one more year, as I don't see how they could come up with that kind of money.

I wonder what the real story is with Ollie's buyout. That article is the 2nd place I've seen $600K as the figure. If that's true, it would be a great deal considering the length of time and the amount left on the contract. However, most sources put the figure somewhere between 9 and 10 million, which is a much different scenario, and IMHO would be the deciding factor in UConn keeping him for at least one more year, as I don't see how they could come up with that kind of money.
I read the same thing...if terminated prior to May 2019

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2017...geno-auriemmas-new-contracts-uconn-basketball

Why are you guys talking about the 600K buyout as if it were some obstacle? First of all why would UConn have inserted it in the contract if they didn’t later think they could fire him if need be? And second does anyone here think that less than 600K in damage will be done in declining attendance and revenue and overall diminution in value of the program to recruits and sponsors if this continues for another year or two?

It’s not even a discussion piece at all. If he should be fired a 600K buyout isn’t going to be an impediment to it. It’s chump change compared to what he is owed over the life of the contract which is money for nothing.

Last edited:
I think you’re mis-reading what we wrote. If $600K is, in fact, the sum total of the buyout, it should be a no brainer to show him the door. However, if the buyout is $10 million as most sources state, it might be too much for the university to eat.

What I found interesting in that linked article (but not really applicable here) is the relatively low number of $500K or less for his buyout if he were to be hired away by another school, and no buyout if he left for the NBA. Compare that to Pikiell’s alleged $5 million buyout.

Last edited:
Well it makes no sense to me that any contract would contain a buyout provision that cannot be afforded. I draft and analyze contracts (I am an attorney) and the way it usually works is your client tells you what he or she or it wants and if there is a buyout provision it obviously gets discussed. I never heard of a buyout provision that was contractually inserted but in reality cannot be afforded. We as attorneys do not contract our clients to do things they cannot do.

This reminds me a few years ago my client had a contract with some company to do cleaning on company uniforms. A dispute arose and my client wished to cancel the contract. The company that cleaned the uniforms sought to enforce what is called a liquidated damages clause which is essentially a buyout provision that attempts to liquidate what damages are in the event of cancellation of the contract. It called for something like $5,000 when in fact my client only owed them around $200. The law in Connecticut is quite clear that a liquidated damages clause will not be enforced if it is punitive and bares no reasonable relationship to the actual damages sustained. I wrote the other company a letter saying that and warning them that if they brought a civil action or otherwise sought to enforce it, I would sue them for violations of the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act, among other things. We then settled the account out of court for the money actually owed on the contract.

This is not to say that Ollie’s contract is the same thing- but a contract containing a “buyout clause” wouldn’t have a number that the client couldn’t afford. So it makes no sense to me that they would have negotiated a number UConn cannot afford to pay. This doesn’t happen in the real world.

And if there is no buyout provision per se, a buyout can usually be negotiated by the parties......

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT