ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer does the administration allow this to continue

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
I mean honestly, what will it take.
Losing seasons?
A half court shot away from missing the tourney 3 years in a row?
Never finishing better than 5th in the AAC?
Being blown out by mid level SEC teams on a neutral court?
Needing OT and a miracle to beat a bottom feeding IVY league team?
3800 people there to watch it?

WHAT WILL IT TAKE!
Should they start playing home games in a fieldhouse again?
Have their SNY contract cancelled?

What does the administration consider unacceptable?
Do they even care anymore?

On the behalf of many embarrassed UCONN alumni, please put Kevin Ollie out of his misery and restore pride to a program that worked so hard to earn its brand.

UCONN is on there way to becoming the blockbuster video or kodak of college sports.

Agreed but the problem is that KO ran off every potential interim coach. Which know-nothing on the bench could step in? KO made sure this would be an impossible situation. It's too bad too because I'd have loved to have heard what some of these people had to say when Miller stepped in and made this team better in a week.

Lol as I type this KO talking about being proud and resiliency. Unreal.

Reactions: UconNell
Tim Welsh could interim coach the team better than KO.

IMHO the team has been consistently terrible for 10 games including the 3 exhibitions. We have only seen very brief flashes of coherent team basketball in 1 or 2 games. Should this continue and I expect it possibly could with losses in the next two games, then I expect KO will be relieved of duties before January 1.

sad.......Ollie is who we are stuck with....lets hope he turns it around. No one will come in and be able to turn it around so we have to HOPE Kevin can do it.

THE worst part is the guy is a delusional fool, sounding more like Bob Diaco everytime out as he continues to empty the arena with his pathetic version of stand around one on one/ hero/ small ball....( must be fun to be Columbia, they didn't even have to work on D).....

Last edited:
" If you thought things couldn’t get any worse for the UConn men, they’ve tested the depths of your imagination. Three days after a 35-point blowout at the hands of Arkansas, the Huskies came home and had to struggle back from 15 points down and go to overtime to outlast Columbia, 77-73, before a sparse crowd of 3,808 Wednesday night at Gampel Pavilion. They saved their season on paper — a loss to a mid-major at home would have been toxic. But UConn played as if sleepwalking for much of a game in which simple pride dictated a big-time effort. "

Christian Vital, UConn Men Outlast Columbia In OT, 77-73

Last edited:
Did glen Miller find a job? Ollie is a husky for life. He just isn't a good coach, never has been.

Reactions: the Blades
Regardless of the the circumstances I don't think its a good look to bring back a fired coach to replace the ditch digger who fired him.

If he were on staff though Miller time would have been appropriate 2 days ago

Honestly, I do not think KO is going to last much longer. All of you are forgetting that Dave Benedict has a job to do and he cannot stand idly by and watch this program deteriorate and the stands empty. Whether KO fired Miller to insure his own job protection or not really does not matter at this point. Usually you do hire an interim coach from within but you don't have to. If SNY's Tim Welsh was offered the job he would probably take it, if they bumped up whatever salary he is making at SNY. There are probably numerous candidates out there for the interim position. I don't think you can clean house on the rest of the staff until next year. What is needed is a pure interim coach.

Last edited:
One more media wake-up call for our $3 million dollar disaster:

"Storrs — UConn loyalists, particularly the partakers of message boards and social media, aren't below poking fun at other fanbases throughout the country for what they might consider tepid support. Note to all you Huskymaniacs: Have you checked your own buildings lately? Forget football for a minute. Because, you know, we purport to be some kind of basketball state. This is what you would have seen had you been one of the few, the proud, to show up to Gampel Pavilion on Wednesday night. Section 7: empty. Sections 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14: empty. Four fans in Section 1. Four fans in Section 6. Two more in Section 21. Four fans in Section 205. Official attendance: 3,808. The smallest crowd at Gampel that didn't involve a snowstorm or the National Invitational Tournament that any of UConn's veteran beat writers can remember."

Yep... saw it with my own eyes and had to explain to one nephew( a FR in Storrs), who I now bring to the games, that it has never been like this in the past. After being one of those few diehards left ...who still has season tix since the building opened vs. St John's.... It's a shame him and my other nephew who is currently a student/athlete.... get this as their Uconn experience.

Last edited:
DeMauro is on his "blame the fans" shtick I see.

Fans have only one real way to affect change, Mikey wants us to abandon it? Get real. I've seen my last Ollie coached team in person, that one sucked too.

One more from Jacobs...are you listening KO ???

"While it is impossible to canvas every UConn fan, social media certainly does send some loud messages. And Twitter and message boards have been very, very loud and nasty in recent days with dissatisfaction about Kevin Ollie and the UConn basketball program. You know what sends an even louder message? Hundreds and hundreds of empty seats. "

"Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. In fact, the former coach left during the second half. One fewer seat filled."

Jeff Jacobs: Empty Seats, Full Anger From UConn Fans

It's hard to believe, but the worst thing that may have ever happened to UCONN was that miraculous 6 game run in March/April 2014.

It gave credence to an outdated style of basketball that only works with premo talent, which KO has never been able to bring in since.

Remember when KO was rumored to be jumping to the NBA in an effort to get Kevin Durant to stay in OKC..............bwhahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

In all seriousness, is there a single conference in D-I that UCONN could win?
Forget the AAC, I'm talking Ivy, Big South, America East........I say no

FIRE THIS MAN NOW

I’ve never been one for firing a coach mid-season. UConn would probably lose all of its recruits and (for what it’s worth) many of the current players. If you think things are bad now....

That being said, I still can’t get over that post game interview. Could you imagine Calhoun, Izzo, K, or Calipari thanking God and praising his players’ toughness after a game featuring a desperation OT win against a bottom-tier Ivy League school, which was played in front of 3,800 people in the on-campus venue? Is that really where this program is at right now? I can certainly see why some people would think it might be time to tear it all down and start over, although the rebuild would be painful. Unfortunately, given the financial issues, the league situation, and the diminishing interest of the fan base, I don’t think the men’s basketball program could survive the type of rebuild which would be needed to turn things around. We should be prepared to settle in for some mediocrity in the foreseeable future.

Could you imagine Calhoun, Izzo, K, or Calipari thanking God and praising his players’ toughness after a game featuring a desperation OT win against a bottom-tier Ivy League school, which was played in front of 3,800 people in the on-campus venue? Is that really where this program is at right now?

To answer your rhetorical question, no, but on another note, there was a bizzare, Bob Diaco-like feel to the Ollie postgame press conference. It was sort of like the basketball version of "The Twilight Zone." That game did not call for the comments that Ollie made to be made. I am a big fan of the 1960s TV Series but what we watched the other night was utterly surreal. I start to lose respect for coaches who do not tell it like it is, because the real fans are getting their collective intelligence insulted.

It was a horrible performance by UConn, and the team did not deserve to win the game. I thought the defense against Arkansas was the worst I had ever seen from UConn, but the first half against Columbia was probably the worst half of defensive basketball I have seen UConn play in the last 30 plus years. Even under Ollie's watch, the defense has never been bad, up until this year. Now it's putred. The team has looked completely rudderless the last two games.

I have to disagree with you USNA90 because UConn is in the soft part of its schedule right now and things can get a lot worse. Humiliating losses on national TV hurt a program far more than a coaching change. I am not convinced UConn will lose all its recruits, that is just a panicked reaction to a possible change. They will lose recruits if this continues and UConn continues to get humiliated. Anyone who watched the last two games cannot seriously believe Monmouth does not have a good chance to win Saturday night. And if that happens and a long losing streak starts it's going to get very, very ugly.

I was not for firing Ollie at all at the beginning of the year. I was waiting to give it all a chance. I have now watched 10 games this year and I am ready to pull the plug. To be fair, I don't believe it is 100% Ollie's fault. The players are not as good as we thought, including Larrier, Adams and Gilbert. But the team is not even competing and that is the coach's fault. Enough is enough!

I’ve never been one for firing a coach mid-season. UConn would probably lose all of its recruits and (for what it’s worth) many of the current players. If you think things are bad now....

That being said, I still can’t get over that post game interview. Could you imagine Calhoun, Izzo, K, or Calipari thanking God and praising his players’ toughness after a game featuring a desperation OT win against a bottom-tier Ivy League school, which was played in front of 3,800 people in the on-campus venue? Is that really where this program is at right now? I can certainly see why some people would think it might be time to tear it all down and start over, although the rebuild would be painful. Unfortunately, given the financial issues, the league situation, and the diminishing interest of the fan base, I don’t think the men’s basketball program could survive the type of rebuild which would be needed to turn things around. We should be prepared to settle in for some mediocrity in the foreseeable future.
Strike when the iron is hot! UCONN still has some appeal as being a struggling blue-blood, in need of a good coach, a coach who can raise UCONN back to relevancy! Screw mediocrity, NEVER!!

Archie Miller is coaching at Indiana. That is the big time. Why would he downgrade to coach in the AAC?

Last edited:
We would at least have to reach out to Mark Few I know he probably wouldn't leave but it would be worth a shot.

Few is a great coach. His team is consistently strong on fundamentals in all aspects of the game. I actually thought they had a great shot at winning it all last year but I think UNC just had a bit too much size for them.

I think we'll all be in for a let down if we think we can get someone like Mark Few. They are no longer a mid major. We are in the aac with no seemingly way out. the type of coach we will get will be either an up-and-comer from a small program or possibly a a veteran coach who is past his prime and is either struggling with his current team and wants to change b4 hes fired, or is actually not coaching at this time...IMHO

I think we'll all be in for a let down if we think we can get someone like Mark Few. They are no longer a mid major. We are in the aac with no seemingly way out. the type of coach we will get will be either an up-and-comer from a small program or possibly a a veteran coach who is past his prime and is either struggling with his current team and wants to change b4 hes fired, or is actually not coaching at this time...IMHO

The AAC is still quite a bit better than the conference the zags are in and Uconn is a way more appealing program than the zags if Few was the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Few cannot be offered less than KO. He will say “look at what you paid him for shit basketball and you expect me to come and coach there at UConn like I done at Gonzaga the last 18 years for less than $5 mil??? Sheeeeeeetttttt.........”

Would love to be Few’s agent getting 10% of that negotiation.....would supplement my retirement quite nicely.

Blades- if you were Few, what would your salary demand be?

Last edited:
why on earth would Few leave the Zags???
Sorry, just my opinion, but no way. This is not uconn in the BE. we’re now an unknown quantity. i hear ya Tack, i really do. but i just don’t see him leaving a program that just finally made a final 4 and are perennial tourney program, unless it was to a P5 program. our cash flow is not unlimited & we’ll be feeling it soon.

Let's trade Ollie for Billy Donovan. :) Coming back to the northeast could be a draw.

I'm not even sure Few would leave for a p5, im sure he's had feelers out on him, if not offers, by now. There would have to be a lot of zeros involved to get him here.

Let's trade Ollie for Billy Donovan. :) Coming back to the northeast could be a draw.

I think Donovan might be available after this season which hasn’t gone so well, so far. I believe that there are some issues with his team and there have been mixed results with his team. I really felt that when OKC lost to Golden State in 2015-16 finals they blew that series through a combination of bad performances by Westbrook and Durant when they had to step up, poor coaching decisions and the incredible stellar play of the Splash Brothers, Curry and Thompson, who hit big shot after big shot while Durant and Westbrook were both failing to do so.

Reports emerged that Durant did not like playing for Donovan.

I think Donovan, like Pitino and Calipari before him, is a guy who belongs in college.

If he and KO both get fired at season’s end, I would certainly contact him about the job. However the interim coach scenario is more of what I had in mind, if the trigger needs to be pulled to stop the reputational bleeding UConn is enduring.

I'm not even sure Few would leave for a p5, im sure he's had feelers out on him, if not offers, by now. There would have to be a lot of zeros involved to get him here.
good point. and i personally think unless it’s the perfect situation (Brad Stevens from butler to Celtics) they’re taking a big chance.

Sean Miller makes 1m more per year than Izzo? That's crazy.
interesting.
Sean Miller was my dream coach to eventually take over for JC. East coast guy, young, great recruiter. i was heartbroken when AZ hired him. Knew he would only come back for either his dream job or if he got canned. Either way, he’s outta the picture. my bromance is over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT