ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco Uconn press conference

From the Hartford Courant:
"AD Warde Manuel said that some assistants already have said they intend to move on. T.J. Weist, who
served as interim coach the last eight games after Paul Pasqualoni was fired after an 0-4 start, is not one
of those assistants..
"

I would love for TJ to stick around with the 180 he did helping to open up the Uconn offense and passing game.
But who knows what Diaco has in mind and there was even a rumor that Notre Dame might offer him as OC.

Also regarding new staff here's a rumor:
UConn HC Bob Diaco plans to offer DC job to Notre Dame DL coach Mike Elston
Elston is a Michigan grad (98') like Uconn AD Warde Manuel, but ND is pretty shorthanded so maybe Brian Kelly makes
him Diaco's replacement. Though I did read this from a ND perspective: "Should Elston accept that offer (I'm assuming

he will, for the offer is an indication that Elston likely wasn't considered for Notre Dame's defensive coordinator

position)" But I think everything is just rumors now. There's a lot of thinking to be done this week-end for alot of coaches. Diaco Will Start Addressing UConn's Staffing Needs Monday
This post was edited on 12/14 11:00 AM by the Blades

I'd like to see Weist back at OC and WR coach and hope he will come back. Would also like to see Foley back at OL coach and Hank Hughes back as at least DL coach and possibly DC. Hughes and Foley have been around the longest and have proven themselves every year producing NFL players. I'm sure there are others on the current staff that deserve to stick around but to me those two stick out the most.

Originally posted by chuckysteele99:

may be first hint at Diaco offensive game plan/mindset:

http://connecticut.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1588451

article speaking with incoming RB recruit about wanting to build around hard nose running.

May not bode well for Weist style offense.
If you listen to the video above from the 35:00 to about the 37:15 minute mark he also talks about
throwing it down the field " a bunch" but also says if you have a lot of awesome plays that the players
can't do then your not going to be very good. (a vailed shot at GDL's wallpapering a room worth of plays ?)

So it's probably a work in progress. HCBD seems like he'll have alot of evaluating of what he wants to do. But if he
plans on hard nose running McCombs needs to spend alot of time during his SR year on the bench. His yds have
gone down every year and I would be more than happy if that was the case along with him never touching a kick-off
either. I think if he just took a touchback Uconn would be in better shape 90 % of the time. I can probably count on
one hand how many times LM returned one past the 25. And I've never seen a guy hesitate so much.. with no
quickness to get going....... or a worse return man in Uconn's FBS history.

But I guess well know soon enough about the assts. Buggs is one who's already gone, no biggy as his Special
teams weren't very special this year.
This post was edited on 12/18 10:13 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT