ADVERTISEMENT

**Latest news on UConn / Big 12 rumors....**

I was just commenting on the big picture, I didn't say ANYTHING about UConn one way or the other. The thread is about CR and all I was posting was that it's bad for college sports across the board so I don't understand your post at all. Anyway I am taking a permanent leave of absence from this thread, I am out.

Last edited:
I was just commenting on the big picture, I didn't say ANYTHING about UConn one way or the other. The thread is about CR and all I was posting was that it's bad for college sports across the board
My bad I thought you've been trying to point out that Uconn should stay where ever they are ( B4 the AAC and now the BE) and stay poor, because the whole thing is gonna blow up anyway. Me as an entrepreneur and someone who's donated to the school forever, I always like to shoot for the top, fix what I have and bury anyone who's in my way. Then worry about the "bad' problems of a situation
( without using lawyers ;) ) after I get to the top later ! ...but me too on your last comment and maybe the board in general, if this is where it's headed.

Stanford and Cal have really gotten hosed............left out of the party.:(
Yep poor Stanford and Cal, it's always that way in the national sports narrative, even with some poser Uconn fans. Uconn's supposed to stay poor in the BIG EAST while there's nothing but sympathy and entitlement for everyone else. Including now trying to drag up a school like SMU with 10-22 MBB team who play in a 7,000 seat arena. And a 32,000 seat stadium for FB but never got more than 22,000 even the few years they were good ! You know the same school who doesn't even field a baseball team to play in the ACC, and who've been givin' the death penalty for corruption by the NCAA.

Last edited:
"Ultimately, UConn was not invited to join the Big 12, despite commissioner Brett Yormark’s enthusiastic endorsement. While some jostling and repositioning continues within the Power Five world, maybe with the next upheaval already gaining momentum through disgruntled institutions of the Atlantic Coast Conference...."

“There’s probably different perceptions, based on who you are,” Benedict said. “When you’re talking about what’s gone on recently, a lot of the moves are national now. They’re not as regional as they’ve been. So the perception of UConn on the West Coast is going to be different than it is in the Northeast. When you think about how everything played out, there’s a reason why the commissioner of the Big 12 was interested in UConn and it’s because he’s from the Northeast and he had a different level of appreciation for us institutionally, as an academic enterprise, what we’ve done athletically."

“You see that in New York, you feel it, because we’re [a presence] in New York. So it’s understandable why commissioner Yormark would have the perception that he did of UConn. He’s seen it firsthand. But the further away you get, the easier it is to not base your evaluation of UConn on facts. I do think being in New England, being so far away from a lot of the conferences, it’s easy for people to get the wrong perception and reality about us. I think there are a lot of people who have never been on our campus. So we need to do a better job of telling our story.”

"Conference realignment will continue to shape — plague, some would argue — the college sports world well into the future. Big 12 membership would have meant considerably more revenue for UConn, which takes in about $4 million a year from the Big East. UConn will not be perilously adrift in its existence as it awaits another opportunity at a financial windfall. " Jim Mora has seemingly turned football back in the right direction.

"And some financial realities, often viewed with the clarity of carnival mirrors, are improving. The projected university subsidy has been reduced by about $20 million from last year, when it ballooned to $55 million due to a one-time payment of $13 million to former men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie. Another approximately $6 million has been trimmed due to the elimination of legacy costs associated with the state’s under-funded pension system, an annual on-paper expense that had nothing to do with operations of the athletic department."

Last edited:
Frank the Tank, the lawyer who's been writing on CR for like 20 years, has an even better place for the PAC 4 if the ACC options fall through. To the BE for a back to the future east to west coast hybrid conference, SMH !...this is what all this recent CR has done to usually sane people. ( so now Uconn's closest FB partner would be in Dallas and some thought the Big 12 travel was a bad idea)

Last edited:
Last edited:
One other thing on this current round of CR, just like we've seen with the Old Big East it' seems like all the PAC 12 schools are now in panic mode because they are down to 9 with no clear media rights deal. All scrambling around like rats ready to jump from a ship. For Uconn, as I've been saying the last few months Big East/ Indy FB is perfect until it isn't ( money excluded because it's not mine)....... But our present situation is way better than when the original BE imploded in 2012.
Well as it's already been stated above in this thread, if Oregon and WASH didn't jump ship to the B1G, right at the last second when only Colorado was on their way out it would have been Uconn as #14 to the Big 12. Because the PAC 12 was close to staying together.

And this is a good question why the media partners were willing to pay for the rights of almost all the schools in the PAC -12 but would rather destroy it instead. Though it's another thing (w/ the BE) we've seen before.

The only thing left is what that PAC-4 does. (merge w/ AAC, MWC teams ? Even heard about some stuff about legal challenges by Stanford and CAL, but we know how that works out) SO right from the horses mouth, BY got the dream scenario that fit the best...

Last edited:
The only thing left is what that PAC-4 does. (merge w/ AAC, MWC teams ? Even heard about some stuff about legal challenges by Stanford and CAL, but we know how that works out...and where have we seen that before from ES'PiN)
August 21nd 2023.........

" One of the Pac-12’s longtime media partners had strategic reasons for taking the step that decimated the conference, according to a university president with knowledge of the media rights negotiations.......

"Washington State’s Kirk Schulz, chair of the Pac-12 board of directors, suggested late last week that Fox might have lured Washington and Oregon into the Big Ten in order to prevent the Pac-12 from signing an agreement with Apple."..............“We’ve got just a couple networks that are making the real decisions about who goes where based on the dollars they want to put into it,” Schulz said during a conversation published on the university’s YouTube channel. “I do think if I was Fox and ESPN, I’m not sure I want Apple in the marketplace, frankly. I don’t want somebody with pockets that are that deep as a rival if I can afford it.”

Pac-12 presidents were expected to sign a grant-of-rights contract with Apple that would have kept the conference together.
But a few minutes before their crucial meeting on Aug. 4, Washington and Oregon announced they were joining the Big Ten.
hmmm. can anyone say COLLUSION ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT