ADVERTISEMENT

***Conference Realignment Rumors -- UConn to the Big 12?***

I already put this on the hoops board, direct quotes from the AD...

Some Big 12 talking points by writer Mike Anthony- ( besides the $30 milion a year increase in revenue)
"That leaves the Big 12, which does make sense on some levels. Big 12 men’s basketball has been the best in America in recent years, led by the two national champions (Baylor in 2021, Kansas in 2022) that preceded UConn’s latest."

"Geographically, the Big 12 is less than an ideal fit, but Big East isn’t exactly exclusive to the Northeast anymore, with members (Creighton) as far away as Omaha. The conference would give football, which currently runs independently, a conference affiliation and a Power Five one at that. The Big 12 would be a step up for Jim Pender’s UConn baseball team, too. "

BUT....“I don't think money guarantees success,” Benedict said. “I think you can look around the country and identify programs in those conferences that aren't winning national championships or are competitive at that level."....."I would have no interest in going into a situation — this is me, personally, speaking — where you're going to get more money but you're not going to be competitive in anything. That is not attractive to me, at all. And that certainly was a factor in making the move back to the Big East.”

Is this Uconn FB getting a jump start on recruiting areas for a new conference, LOL ???

Yep, as I mentioned earlier on the hoops board, Yormark/ Big 12 are gonna wait it out for PAC 12 schools,

"A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings, which were held at the posh Greenbrier resort, but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal."

The New Haven Register's Jim Mora story this morning. How does that relate to CR ????

" So, can a national championship be won at UConn? “Yes,” Mora said without hesitation.....Can it be done as an independent program? “No,” he said immediately......UConn isn’t Notre Dame, of course.....As Mora spoke, though, others on campus were preparing to at least consider the possibility of conference realignment that would place the athletic department, and therefore the football program, in the top tier of college athletics. The Big 12 is looking to stabilize its place in the Power Five landscape through expansion, and UConn is being considered as a member for, among other things, its Northeast footprint and substantial basketball success. "

Last edited:
I was there and remember this Uconn "vs" Big 12 moment. It would be nice to get the FB momentum going again while competing at the highest level, especially with a coach like Jim Mora.

Been a tough road after being able to recruit to a BCS conference ( the former BE) and then not. Uconn FB represented well with a 64-47 record in those first 9 years at the RENT coming out of the FCS.
2 Big East championships/ 5 bowls games ( + the 9-3 Indy year with no Bowl tie in). While packing the RENT (at 96% capacity). Until it started to fall apart with Paul Pausqualoni's "freeze option" snooze style FB and then West Virginia was out the door the next year (2012) as Big East football faded away. Also what's Colorado been doing for the last 9 years in a BCS/now P-5 conference ? The Buffs show a record of 40-65, so who's got a weak FB program ?

PS. Uconn's 96% of home stadium capacity was even after losing top draws like Miami, Va Tech and local BE rival, Boston College. As they all left before Uconn even joined the BE/BCS. So the Huskies were requested to enter Big East FB a year early.

Last edited:
"UConn isn’t likely to be a member of the Big East forever" ......." I think at some point, there’s going to be another move for UConn. I think it’s inevitable, whether it’s the ACC or the Big 12. The question is, is now the right time?"

Last edited:
Yep love these facts that to many national FB writers forget...Huskies went from FCS to a BCS a year early (2004 after Miami, BC, Va Tech to the ACC) after a 9-3 Indy year.... Then averaged 38,000+ att for 9 years as they won 2 Big East championships, went to 5 bowl games w/ Fiesta Bowl after a tie breaking win over WVU. Then suddenly the BCS recruiting and tie-ins were gone. Time to bring it back...... in Jim Mora I trust.

Last edited:
Good article by the Hearst CT media group which pretty much sums it all up. Even though the Big East and Indy FB has been more than fine until it isn't. As I've said all along (on this site) since 2020 as Uconn got out of the AAC just in time. After splitting the 6 years in payments of approx $105 mil in exit fees payouts that was owed to them, Cincy and USF from the 2012 CR..... And seeing the AAC imploded again with Houston, Cincy and UCF ( their 3 highest ranked BB programs) following Uconn out.

Despite the fake news national FB media claiming Uconn gave up on FB. Uconn's Indy schedule has home and homes series vs. teams like Cuse, BC, Army, Maryland, NC St., Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Purdue, Indiana and even Ole Miss is way better than any AAC schedule would've been. Even more so now that's it's become C-USA 2.0.

Uconn getting it's own linear TV contract with CBS Sports was another plus in addition to the Indy FB schedule. ( as Matt tweeted awhile back below when some FB writers thought Uconn should join C-USA).

But if the option comes to upgrade Uconn FB, Baseball, WBB, while losing nothing in MBB but 5 real BE rivals to rejoin 5 former (TCU was headed to the BE too) conference mates (BE/AAC)... along with 2 recent NC in hoops, Baylor & Kansas. .......Then it has to happen.

Last edited:
Figured we can make this thread a one stop shop for Conference Realignment
The Atlantic's Stewart Mandel and Scott Dochterman Aug. 7, 2023..... just went all in on Rutgers CR in todays article---

Wow I didn't know these facts? And hoops hasn't been anything to write home about either ? ( Rutgers has 1 NCAA tourney win in 9 years ) How can they be that bad with all this money ?

"Rutgers’ time in the Big Ten has been a competitive and financial nightmare, compounded by a few salacious scandals. Entering its 10th season in the conference, the football team has gone 13-66 in league play. Meanwhile, despite astronomical increases in shared Big Ten revenue, the athletic department has racked up more than $250 million in debt, according to financial documents obtained by The Athletic and first reported by NJ Media."

Last edited:
Interesting to get a visit and comments from the Gov today @ Uconn football after some of the recent news.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT