ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports Acknowledges Error In Reporting on UConn!

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Another CBS report on UConn and another error, but Lo and behold a first! I suspected an error was made in the first edition of this article on CR, and it was finally acknowledged in this editor's correction note at the end of the article:

"Correction: An earlier version of this story stated UConn self-appointed its slogan as the "Basketball Capital of the World," but similar wording was first used by Dick Vitale on a UConn men's basketball broadcast in 1995."

Dickie V is now being credited with originating that slogan (along with many others), and I remember him saying it on the air. Did Dickie V get spoon fed the slogan by someone in the UConn AD at the time? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. It stuck and he got the credit for it.

I am guessing ESPN's counsel sent CBS a letter informing it of the mistake.

Last edited:
Another CBS report on UConn and another error(s), but Lo and behold a first! I suspected an error was made in the first edition of this article on CR, and it was finally acknowledged in this editor's correction note at the end of the article:

I am guessing ESPN's counsel sent CBS a letter informing it of the mistake.
OK wasn't gonna do this but..................you know how I feel about these fake news narratives. So here's today's take from the Blades

Wasn't the issue
. Fuk the lawyers. Norlander's getting buried on social media so he had to try to cover at least some of his tracks. His wife went to Uconn (IIRC), he's been semi-favorable to Uconn hoops. But wrote that fake news article with all kinds of inaccuracies. Quotes from idiot "sources" that know nothing about Uconn, the FB program, how the BE CR went down both "leaving" (they never did) and returning, etc.

All based on half truths that continues the narrative from these idiots who think the college sports world is complete only with Uconn buried financially in the Big East. It's that way with alot of the BB and national writers who have nothing but Uconn hate, kinda like Notre Dame gets in FB from opposing fan bases and writers. Uconn because it's been so dominate in hoops, currently had FB as a low hanging fruit, so it's all they have to go after. With "Uconn FB can't do this, they can't do that", etc...Thank you Jeff Hathaway and Warde( who got the bonus prize hiring 3 duds...KO, Diaco and even Cavanaugh the hockey coach)

But these writers stories act like 2 BE championships, 5 bowl games, and filling Rentschler Field at 97% cap in the first 9 years recruiting and playing in a BCS conference never happened. As they got cock blocked from the BCS. Because Uconn FB was not only competing at the P-5 level but dominating for a brand new FBS school.

One of Norlanders biggest lies in his story was Uconn chased FB to the American. When in fact the American is the original Big East. But because Marrinatto, the schill from Providence blew the ESPN contract negotiations, the Catholic 7 left the Big East to start a hoops only conference and paid Uconn, Cincy and USF $100 mil to leave early in exit fees. So if he's going to write stories on Uconn for CBS get some facts ! UConn could have tried to lobby to the C-7 (who didn't want FB schools) and only got a $4 mil a year TV deal from Fox.

So they continued in the original BE/AAC that sold the name and receive the approx $ 2 mil a year from ESPN plus the exit fees paid by the C-7 ( $5 mil x 6 years IIRC) plus the $1 mil + SNY was also paying for WBB and other content for a total of $8 mil a year + in the AAC. (ps. that $1 mil+ a year from SNY was what Aresco later tried to sell away from Uconn to ESPN, that finally was part of what split Uconn from the AAC)

Then Norlander tried to quote some " fake" moron source that said Uconn doesn't invest in FB or they'd never be able to have NIL ( just ask Paige or the Damelio Collective how that's working out) . While even Jim Mora who helped design UCLA's facilities said Uconn's are better. And better than alot of the P-5 facilties he's been to in his years covering CFB for ESPN.

Bottom line is Norlander's just another poser with fake facts trying to spin an angle for his basketball echo chamber view, while pissing on the rest of the Uconn AD.... And Uconn fans that know better called him out big time... ( also kinda ironic that his employer, CBS has such a favorable deal on Uconn FB TV rights, that they would lose if Uconn went P-5 w/FOX/ESPN)

Some examples on social media....

Last edited:
Blades-

The real point of my post was that when Seth Davis of CBS made a similar error in his reporting on why Nate Miles left UConn, the error was left up in his article for months and months and months with no correction. In fact I do not believe it was ever corrected. I was in shock. That was around 12 years ago.

What's changed since then is social media being used to admonish reporters on their mistakes. Obviously it's a good thing that social media is used to be a watchdog on these things.

There is a different thread on CR. This thread I started to discuss errors in media reports on UConn which is, for all the reasons you have mentioned, an important issue all on its own.

If anyone spots other mistakes, post them here and let's keep these guys honest!

Blades-

This thread I started to discuss errors in media reports on UConn which is, for all the reasons you have mentioned, an important issue all on its own.

If anyone spots other mistakes, post them here and let's keep these guys honest!
Well yeah, I hear ya 100%, but there was about 3 other glaring mistakes in his pro Uconn stay in the Big East (and stay poor) article. So they should be addressed and combated, to which Uconn Nation and I did in full effect ! Though I'm sure some loved it and were more than happy to see Norlanders title ! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT