ADVERTISEMENT

vs. Houston

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
@ FedExForum, Memphis, TN...... Friday, noon....... TV: ESPN2

LAST TIME OUT: For the second straight season, UConn and Houston met just once this year. The Cougars notched a 71-63 win on Feb. 14 at the XL Center. The Huskies had cut a 17-point deficit down to seven with less than three minutes left, and appeared to have a fast-break opportunity. However, an inadvertent whistle by a ref blew the play dead, and they couldn’t capitalize on the momentum.

The Huskies were without leading scorer Jalen Adams, who had suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee a week earlier, and point guard Alterique Gilbert, who was still a week away from returning from his latest shoulder injury.

NHR- UConn men’s gameday: No. 9 UConn vs. No. 1 Houston

Reactions: UconNell
The Line on this game is Houston -10
Seems about right on a neutral court, since they won by 8 in Hartford......Jalen and Josh should be well rested...;)

PS....eternal hope stat of the game....Uconn 15-9 with Jalen / 1-7 without him

Last edited:
Great start.... leave a 3pt shooter wide open for a 4pt play...then step out of bounds on your 1st trip on O...SMH !

Well Uconn's key 3pt shooters (Vital and Polley) are back to their Ray's Day touch, 1-9 between them at the half. Jalen and Josh have been it on the O...plus Uconn's getting killed on the long bounce rebounds....Can't make it a game if this doesn't change..

Was this the worst shooting /scoring half in the history of Uconn BB ????

Double-doubles for Jalen and Josh...but Wow....great game by Polley (0-8/ 0-6) and Vital (2-9/ 1-7) :mad:, but look at the brightside, our 6-8 power forward TP did have 3 rebounds fall into his hands, is that a career high ???.... SMH

The Horror show Boxscore

I remember that game. Rashad was a freshman in the doghouse at the time of that game. After the game all the news reports noted how he had “burst through the front door of Calhoun’s doghouse bounding on all fours.” He was in the rotation from that day forward. Calhoun watched and took note.

Good memory CFP! I can remember that game well.

And UConn was coming off a 54% FG shooting game against USF which featured 13-24 on 3s. They laid such an egg! 3-26! Brick city baby!

I don't know WTF I just watched, but the one thing I could say about this team was that, while the record looks similar to the last two years, at least they didn't get blown out. So much for that positive. I had really hoped to see more of a turnaround this year, but at this point we are looking at a several year rebuilding project. If we thought this year was bad, wait until next year when Adams is gone. The 2018 recruiting class was basically non-existent, so we better hope that the 2019 class: a) gets some additional, talented bodies; and b) develops at a much faster than average pace.

Wow this was painful...how can he even respond to this suckfest

Go get some big bodies Danny! Wake up Monday refreshed and the go look for some guys who can play! This roster needs to be upgraded!

On another note I read what Kelvin Sampson had to say after the game and he made it sound like UConn’s balls screens were easy to defend. Maybe all these ball screens wouldn’t be necessary if we had actual real bigs to set actual real screens and guys get open the old fashioned way. Maybe the offense was predictable to Houston. Obviously they didn’t look like they were on their heels or fooled. We all know the UConn roster is lacking guys who have the strength to finish plays and shots, but I still think this game should have been more competitive than a 40 point loss.

Was hoping we got to the NIT, with delusions of getting really hot this week.

This team needs more games and momentum for recruiting.

So a very disappointing outcome for the season, especially with the way we started beating the Cuse. However, I have a lot of confidence that Danny will get it fixed.

There should be a help wanted sign on every starting position except Carlton’s at the 5. That’s got to be the way Hurley is recruiting. All jobs are open and UConn is taking applications.

Kelvin Sampson might be the best coach that has never won an NCAA title.
Right now I give him the edge over Tony Bennett.
Had he not been put on probation @ Indiana he probably still would be there.
Was on the verge of getting it rolling.
NBA guys raved about him when he was an asst

They played no one OOC except LSU
Probably will be under seeded but I hope they have a long run

I wanted Sampson at UConn this time last year.

But I’m really happy with Hurley, aside from the results. But need to see improvement next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT