ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Uconn Baseball - BE & Regional Champs !

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
The hook C started the season right down in Tampa with a 5-4 comeback win over USF in 10 innings. Uconn struck out 20 USF batters. Big loss in the off season was Reggie Crawford ( who was projected as a 1st round MLB pick) to Tommy John surgery. UConn's Crawford Suffers Arm Injury • D1Baseball Crawford ( who led the team in HR's & RBI's) was slated to play both ways at 1B and as a week-end starter.

But the Huskies got a 10th inning bomb from one of their new transfers (Casey Dana) after losing several players from last years team to the MLB draft..... Next up vs. Charlotte on SAT and Louisville on SUN.

Last edited:
Huskies with the 9-2 win over the Ville, lead by a shutdown performance from new Husky (Harvard grad transfer), Enzo Stephanoni (Darien, CT) who went 6.2 scoreless innings with 8 K's.

Last edited:
Gotta love it ...where's Crockett and Tubbs ??? ........5-1 Huskies head to the Vice.

What is the status of Reggie Crawford? I was hoping to see him become UConn's version of Babe Ruth and Shohei Ohtani- the only two guys who have ever pitched and hit at the MLB level with tremendous success at both

What is the status of Reggie Crawford? I was hoping to see him become UConn's version of Babe Ruth and Shohei Ohtani- the only two guys who have ever pitched and hit at the MLB level with tremendous success at both
I posted it in the OP....Fall injury and had to have TJ surgery so looks like his Uconn career is over. ( Unless he would come back next year, but he still will probably be a high MLB pick either way so who knows ? )

"Crawford, a 6-foot-4, 235-pounder, was riding high as the No. 4 prospect in the 2022 College Class after putting together an outstanding summer with the USA Collegiate National Team. There, the elite lefthanded pitcher was anywhere from 95-98 and up to 99 mph with his fastball with a spin rate around 2500-2600 RPM from a three-quarter slot. He also showed a quality breaking ball in the low-80s and was certainly an early potential 1-1 candidate in the draft. "....What’s most frustrating about Crawford’s situation is that he was just learning how to pitch under heralded UConn pitching coach Josh MacDonald. The sophomore busted on the scene in a big way as a true freshman back in 2020 … but as a hitter. He hit .365 with a home run and 16 RBIs in the shortened season and made just one appearance on the mound. This past season, he hit .295 with 13 home runs and 62 RBIs, establishing himself as one of the nation’s premier hitters. He also made six appearances on the mound — one start — with a 2.35 ERA in 7.2 innings of work. ".....Crawford was expected to see a much heavier workload in 2022 with a likely move to the weekend rotation. Now, he will focus his efforts on rehabilitation."

"Though Crawford is unable help the Huskies in the spring, his stock as a prospect took a hit but didn’t receive a devastating blow
. Crawford still has little mileage on his arm, and his stuff with Team USA this past summer was undeniable. Additionally, there are plenty of examples of supremely talented pitchers still going in the first round after being injured."

UConn's Crawford Suffers Arm Injury • Article from - D1 Baseball

Last edited:
Uconn scores 2 runs in the top of the 9th for a 4-2 win over FIU (7-4)

Huskies continue to roll !.... Go into Miami and sweep a FIU team who started the week-end 7-3 . The 1st home game of the season is scheduled for Tuesday at Elliot Ball Park. Before they head out to Cali for a couple of weeks and an 8 game swing.

Beat Uhart in the opener. ...Used 6 pitchers on a bullpen day with 13K's....Huskies now 9-1 and head out to CALI with one of the lowest ERA's (1.58) in CBB

Last edited:
My memory of UConn's very short stay in the NCAA tournament last year was that their pitching staff got raked BIG TIME. Including by Notre Dame. I am hoping that the 1.58 ERA is indicative of some improvement. I am sure Penders knew this and hunted pitching in the transfer portal

Reactions: the Blades
Free live stream of Sunday game ( and on demand of games 1 & 2) from Malibu @ 4pm EST.......
Today's Uconn Starter Enzo Stefanoni, ( Grad transfer- Harvard) is tied for the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in the nation with 22 strikeouts without allowing a walk.

Last edited:
Up next for Uconn (11-2) is a mid-week one-off (Tues -9pm EST) vs. #25 USC ( 11-3) at Dedeaux Field , Los Angeles, CA

FREE LIVE Stream from the PAC-12 Network:

Last edited:
Huskies win on 7 2/3 innings of shutout ball from in-state FR Ian Cooke from New Milford.

Huskies also got a tape measure shot from Reggie Crawford's 1B replacement, 6-3/ 245lb grad transfer who now leads the team in HR's-

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is a really impressive start for the pitching to hold up against a team like USC. Is UConn ranked?
Another mid-week CALI opponent for tonight's game claims Uconn is #23 (game is 9pm on ESPN+) :

UConn #25 in poll released today:
Good start considering 19 road games and only 5 at home so far. This week was supposed to add more balance to the schedule including, Tues vs. CCSU and the week-end Big East opener series vs. St. Johns up in Storrs. But we'll see how the weather ( warmer, but w/ some rain) will cooperate.

Last edited:
I guess CCSU (an NCAA team last year) missed the extra point ;), so much for mid week bullpen games (for both teams)

Last edited:
You have to be able to rake when a team comes at you with a midweek bullpen game, and UConn got that job done.

You have to be able to rake when a team comes at you with a midweek bullpen game, and UConn got that job done.
True..... I watched the game on Flo Sports. I thought Uconn was in trouble when their "opener" gave up 4 runs to CCSU in the first inning. But most of the Huskies other bullpen guys, they used 7 pitchers for an 1 inning or so, got the job done.

We'll se how Uconn does with the pitching staff today with a 2nd midweek game, if the weather clears up.

Last edited:
This reminds me that the Yankees had a pitcher named Wang, Chien Ming Wang, who was really good and won 19 games in back to back years while steadily increasing his velocity and movement on his power sinker. Then came the tragic end to his career when he was allowed to run the bases rather than pinch run for, and suffered a season ending severe foot injury trying to score from first base on a double. At the time, I was livid over the injury, because Wang was peaking as a pitcher and was a serious Cy Young award candidate that year had he not been injured. I believe he was 9-2 when hurt.

Hopefully UConn's Wang will just close games and not be allowed to run bases.

This reminds me that the Yankees had a pitcher named Wang, Chien Ming Wang,

Hopefully UConn's Wang will just close games and not be allowed to run bases.
I remember him. Don't know if he's any relation. The Uconn Wang is from China and he was a starter as a FR, then had injury problems too since his Soph year. Yesterday was his 1st game so far in his SR- correction RS JR year. Jimmy Wang - Uconn profile

Huskies (24-7) start the Big East season at 3-0 with the 2nd shut out in 2 days against St. Johns. Uconn puts up 35 runs in the series while the 3 starting pitchers gave up only 1 between them. Up next- midweek game Tues in Hartford at Dunkin donuts Park vs. Marist (16-10).

18 consecutive scoreless to finish the series AND UConn scored 10+ runs each game and 35 for the series. UConn is on a serious roll and a big move up the rankings should be expected!

In BB news in Hartford, #HookC keeps rollin' with a 3 HR /20 hit attack. Huskies head to a "split games series" at Seton Hall (Catholic school) because of Easter week-end. Thurs at Noon( B4 Good Friday) then wait to play a double header on Sat ( can't play on Easter SUN)

9 in a row- 14-2 UConn. TBH though, Seton Hall sucks (now 8-25), as does the entire Big East except for Creighton. So expect the winning to continue. UConn is going to win a ton of games.....

Looked like Uconn might have an issue vs. the 2nd ranked team in NE, after the 1st two Husky pitchers gave up 11 runs in the 1st 3 innings in a bullpen game. But not a problem as the Hook C, came back with another FB scores with 28 runs for the day. Uconn heads up to Boston College tomorrow for another mid week game with the 2nd 10 game winning streak of the year. Also shout out to Cole Chudoba who came in in relief to shut things down for Umass, as the Uconn bats went to work.

Last edited:
Uconn blanks BC on only 1 hit and gets 8 innings of shut out ball from the FR midweek starter Ian Cooke ( New Milford, CT)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT