ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Uconn Baseball - BE & Regional Champs !

Uconn needs 1 win today for the BE Championship in the double elimination format.

Game 6: No. 1 UConn vs. No. 3 Xavier, Noon ET - FS2
Game 7: No. 1 UConn vs. No. 3 Xavier, 3:30 p.m. ET * -FS2
*If necessary

Uconn sweeps the field....with the Husky pitchers giving up just 3 runs total in 3 games, while holding Xavier, who scored 43 runs vs. Creighton and G-Town on SAT, to just 2 runs in the Championship game.

First up Wake Forest #6 RPI on FRI......( host Maryland #9 RPI)

College Park Regional​

Host team: No. 15 Maryland Terrapins (45-12)
Location: Shipley Field at Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium | College Park, Md.

Game 1: No. 2 Wake Forest vs. No. 3 UConn | Fri., June 3 | 1 p.m.| ESPNU
Game 2: No. 1 Maryland vs. No. 4 Long Island | Fri., June 3 | 7 p.m. | ESPN+

What is the status of Reggie Crawford? I was hoping to see him become UConn's version of Babe Ruth and Shohei Ohtani- the only two guys who have ever pitched and hit at the MLB level with tremendous success at both
update from the NHR:
>>> UConn coach Jim Penders clearly feels Crawford should be, at worst, a mid-first round pick.
“Look, if he’s there, you’ve got to take him,” Penders said. “The kid’s a freak. The upside is incalculable.”
Will a major league team concur? Virtually every one has contacted Crawford in recent weeks, some stopping in to check on his rehab. He won’t be going to the MLB Draft Combine June 14-20 at Petco Park in San Diego. Rather, teams will be coming to Storrs in the ensuing weeks to watch him throw and hit. <<<

Uconn gets the lead back in the 9th after the bullpen gives up a 7-2 lead in the 7 & 8th. Then Willis takes down Wake (#6 RPI)... 1,2,3.... for the W and as they head to the winners bracket.

Last edited:
Way to start the game with back to back homeruns and the hit parade just kept on coming !

UConn is on ESPNU and is wearing uniforms with pinstripes like the Yankees. I assume that this is intentional and the team is hoping they will wear the pinstripes like the 39-15 Yankees have.

UConn is on ESPNU and is wearing uniforms with pinstripes like the Yankees. I assume that this is intentional and the team is hoping they will wear the pinstripes like the 39-15 Yankees have.
Nope Uconn's been wearing pinstripes and the Hook C Uni's for years. Usually on the last day of a series. I do like that they probably won the game on that Yankee/A-Rod type interference on the play at first....or at least it helped and kept the 9th run on 3rd and helped shut down the 8th inning.

Last edited:
Just found out norwalk and former Red Sox Kevin Morton‘s son is on this team. I grew up with SR. And junior and his family lives one street over from my mom.

go huskies!

Reactions: the Blades
Just found out norwalk and former Red Sox Kevin Morton‘s son is on this team. I grew up with SR. And junior and his family lives one street over from my mom.

go huskies!
That kid's got some wheels, 2X state champ in the 55 meters. Hitting over .400 helps too.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Uconn will now head to Cali vs the #2 overall who walked it off with a 3 run 9th inning comeback.

" Stanford will now host UConn in a super regional from Sunken Diamond this week. Dates and times for the series will be announced Tuesday morning. "

It should be noted that UConn took down a particularly high powered Maryland offense which last night had a lineup in which the lowest batting average was .290. 6 guys batting over .300 and 9 guys batting .290 or better. 8 guys in the lineup with OBPs over .400, with the lowest OBP at .381. It adds up to 0 easy outs.

I understand its college baseball where offensive stats are inflated as compared to pro baseball, but still impressive, This season the MLB average batting average is .240 and OBP .411. By the way it's the lowest batting average in MLB since 1968, when it was .237 and the mound was still 15" high rather than 10".

Last edited:
It should be noted that UConn took down a particularly high powered Maryland offense which last night had a lineup in which the lowest batting average was .290. 6 guys batting over .300 and 9 guys batting .290 or better. 8 guys in the lineup with OBPs over .400, with the lowest OBP at .381. It adds up to 0 easy outs.

I understand its college baseball where offensive stats are inflated as compared to pro baseball, but still impressive, This season the MLB average batting average is .240 and OBP .411. By the way it's the lowest batting average in MLB since 1968, when it was .237 and the mound was still 15" high rather than 10".
Well yeah, but most of this has more to with the ball park these teams play in. (MD is 320's down the lines and 385' to CF. ) Wake Forrest had big hitting numbers too but it's only 300' down the lines in their home ballpark. And like Penders said, in game on ESPNU, it must be tough to recruit pitchers to even play for a school like MD in their Bandbox.

G-town (375' to CF, the worse ) and Xavier are places like that in the Big East. So good pitchers who pitch to contact will give up big numbers to hitters when average flyballs become HR's. Elliot up in Storrs is a normal MLB type 330' down the lines and 400' to CF. Plus the wind usually blows in from left field in the cold spring air in Storrs, so it usually isn't until May when it warms up, that the ball seems to carry.

Last edited:
3 game series are set, dates and times will be announced this morning at 10am.

UConn (49-14) at No. 2 Stanford (45-15) at Sunken Diamond ( 335' lines - 400' CF)
  • 10:30 p.m. Saturday on ESPNU
  • 7 p.m. Sunday on ESPN2/ESPNU
  • TBD on Monday, if necessary

Last edited:
Oops forgot about ECU!!! Will be interesting to see if ECU, UConn or USM can advance to CWS. ECU and USS are actually each hosting a Super Regional

if ECU, UConn or USM can advance to CWS. ECU and USM are actually each hosting a Super Regional
Yeah soon to both be former C-USA members. With Southern Miss ready to leave too, to the Sun Belt. Then again most of the entire new AAC (in 2023) is soon to be nothing more than C-USA re-imagined by Aresco, LOL!

Uconn's normal day 2 week-end starter Pat Gallagher (10-3/ 3.17 ERA) will open the best of 3, since Uconn's AA Austin Peterson (11-3/ 3.30 ERA) pitched in relief on Monday to help Uconn clinch the trip to Stanford.....This will give Peterson an extra days rest to start game #2 on Sunday. ( or would Penders wait until a 3rd game winner take all on Monday if Uconn wins game 1 ? )

Last edited:
As Penders mentions these NCAA regionals are different instead of the usual 3 game week-ends. Uconn played 4 in Maryland and Stanford had to play 5 games in theirs. So pitching staffs have to be deep.

Last edited:
This will give Peterson an extra days rest to start game #2 on Sunday. ( or would Penders wait until a 3rd game winner take all on Monday if Uconn wins game 1 ? )
I think you have to save Peterson for the first possible elimination game whether it's game 2 or game 3. It's conceivable UConn might not have to use him at all (if they win the first two games). But in an elimination game it will be all hands on deck.

ADVERTISEMENT