ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn's offense..... just 5 games ago

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Out of the gun ! ..out of the gun ! ...out of the gun !

but no...... since this team can't block....I guess the plan is to give opponents even less to worry about...by allowing
even more defensive players to stack the box on the ball while you abandoned anything resembling the spread with a
fullback and/or 2 TE's..... as the offense goes into the fetal position !......on top of giving the QB even less time because
he has to drop back after taking the ball over center...

Love Diaco's quote from Newport on media day:
"If we turn the ball over, we'll just run it every time, I'm serious, you can't win that way."
Earth to Diaco..... you've turned the ball over 4 games in a row on your first series and 3 of those TO's were fumbles
while you were running the ball.....so much for your theory on ball protection....

TJ Weist's version of UConn Football vs. Memphis (Highlights)

Also one last thing----- get Obi off the field ! Uconn could have won this game without him...he's good for
a blown/beat coverage 6 points every game...thank you SNY's :
https://twitter.com/JohnFSilver
https://twitter.com/JohnFSilver/status/513122178988920833"4th and 10 and you give up a 30-yard TD pass? That's not acceptable. Poor coverage
Obi Melinfonwu beat for a 30 yard TD. He's going to have to sit IMO.
"

And this was strait up no confusion... he was lined up with the WR right from the snap.. by the
time the ball was thrown by the QB...Obi (as usual) wasn't within 5 yds of him !......I'm done !!!

This post was edited on 9/20 10:03 AM by the Blades

+1 Blades

I've always wondered, esp the past few yrs, why they wouldn't use the shotgun. 3 steps and the D is on the QB. There must be a thought process but I can't think of any reason why.....unless the center is THAT bad at it.

Also, agree on Obi.It's actually glaring.

I was so frustrated about the not throwing the ball during the game, i wanted to shut it down and watch something else....but, after reading why he did it, I get it....not gonna win over fans, but i get it. U do that at home and it's gonna get ugly.

Originally posted by Shaggydog84:
+1 Blades

I've always wondered, esp the past few yrs, why they wouldn't use the shotgun. 3 steps and the D is on the QB. There must be a thought process but I can't think of any reason why.....unless the center is THAT bad at it.

Also, agree on Obi.It's actually glaring.

I was so frustrated about the not throwing the ball during the game, i wanted to shut it down and watch something else....but, after reading why he did it, I get it....not gonna win over fans, but i get it. U do that at home and it's gonna get ugly.
That's the thing that makes me wonder with these defensive minded guys who become HC's. Warde literally
had to kick GDL out as OC and then PP( a DC in Dallas) still had him around screwing up the OL. Now we
have Diaco with the same center( Mataes) and productive WR group as last year and he's back to playing
" hold the score down" / conservative FB. And it's not like TJ was making these excuses that BD was making
in DC's Courant article today..after he took over PP's mess......He just opened it up and attacked his opponent
with what he had and won the last 3 games..... while actually looking like a CFB team that wanted to compete.

So I hear ya Shaggy....I'll give HCBD one more thing, which I get it too..... which was horrible field position
through out the game (quite a few times within their own 15).... but the fact he gave up on his offense so quick
is making it tougher and tougher to be a Uconn FB fan.

Interesting take from the Uconn Blog, especially regarding Diaco's over reaction which can be typical
from defensive minded HC's :
Bob Diaco should NEVER call off passing again
" In spite all this evidence, his choice is actually semi-understandable when you consider most former defensive
coaches take a more antiquated, conservative approach to offense when they assume head coaching positions
(Jets fans, tell me this: How many times have you heard the phrase "ground and pound' in the last five-plus years?
Exactly.) Nevertheless, eliminating almost all passing was a beyond terrible decision."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT