ADVERTISEMENT

The Girls Restore UConn Pride, Rout Notre Dame

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
After a basketball loss to Yale and a football loss to previously winless SMU, it was up to the UConn women to win at undefeated #2 ND, and they did it.

Career high 25 points and 9 boards from Morgan Tuck and 18 rebounds from Stokes!!!!! UConn rules the boards!!!!!!!!

Too bad they couldn't have been on the court against Yale. Their half-court offense and rebounding couldn't have been worse than the men's was.

Great game by my girl Morgan Tuck. When we landed Stewie and Jefferson I proudly called out Tuck as a possible sleeper star for UCONN. We will see if this holds but she is a beast in only the best way. She IS the missing link this team needed. She has attitude, handle, size, etc..... If she starts hitting the 3 ball its over.

Stokes was so good too......I know they didnt have Turner in this game but at home with that great crowd and venue it should have been a close game.

Jewel Loyd is awesome.

Chong and Williams played 9 and 5 minutes respectively against ND, as Geno went with a "Fantastic 6" rotation of Tuck, Stewart, KML, Jefferson, Nurse and Stokes, although considering MoJeff's performance it was really a "Fantastic 5 out of playing 6". Chong I can understand getting single digit minutes because her horrible defense was a big reason why UConn lost to Stanford, and Geno was NOT going to watch that repeated allowing of unimpeded penetration to the hole again, especially against a team like ND which would exploit her if she played more. In the case of Williams, I suspect Geno's thinking is that it would be unfair to her to play her a lot of minutes on this stage. The fact Geno is starting and playing Nurse as many minutes as he is strongly suggests he think she will be an all time great, however the guard rotation at the moment does not allow him to bring her along more slowly anyway. Despite her 6 TOs I think Nurse is ready for big time games. She makes smart plays and her turnovers are turnovers of aggression, not of stupidity, much like Tuck.

It's gotta be Jefferson's worst game at UConn. 21 minutes, 0-8 FGs, 0 points, 5 TOs, 5 fouls. I look at a line like that and I wonder. She is a MUCH better player than that. Something was not right with her mentally or physically to put up that kind of stinker. She had a career high 19 the game or two before then and she has been VERY erratic so far this year. It's surprising to me. I was expecting consistency from her in this, her junior year. She plays hard and hustles so I don't understand why she has thrown in a few stinkers so far this year with some good games.

UConn actually had 24 turnovers and only 14 assists. Nurse, Tuck and MoJeff had 16 TOs between the 3 of them. But UConn outrebounded ND 52-34, a +18 beating on the boards that very few teams recover from (although the UConn men won a game in which they were outrebounded 55-24 a few years ago, because they shot the lights out that night).

Jefferson wasnt the problem it was who she was playing against. Jewel Loyd is just better than MoJeff in all areas and it showed. Jewel is a program star and while Jeff is awesome in her own right, she to this point is not ear as good as Jewel. Jewel is just as fast and more skilled in all areas. MoJeff will be fine in all other games this year we just found her Kryptonite!

Nurse is the real deal and will be at least a 2 year AA if not 3.

Lloyd is a tough cover. However she did not have much help. Notre Dame is not as big or as strong inside as in recent years and they were exposed inside by Tuck and Stokes. Later in the year when UConn plays South Carolina they will present a different challenge with A'ja Wilson inside.

However, I think UConn will run the table and end the regular season with one loss. The South Carolina game is at Gampel.

Looks like Morgan Tuck will match up against A'ja, should be fun as Tuck is very active on D. Refs will play a big role in a SC win if you ask me. Stokes needs to be able to be aggressive and if so then lights out in the middle. Tuck and Stewie need to be able to get up on their people but with tick tack fouls that could be where the game turns.

What happened with Sadie Edwards.... I dont follow women ball that closely obviously but she is transferring. Seems like she never played that much and is looking for more PT... Oh well.

This post was edited on 12/9 10:44 PM by Ozzie3178

Man I hate that when this happens. She was so highly touted....she seemed like the odd man out at the beginning and we have some awesome talent coming next year too, sucks. I really hope she goes somewhere and becomes a star.

Honestly I think Geno over-recruited and Edwards was the odd girl out. My uncle had this theory that Geno wanted to play more 3 and 4 guard offenses and use all the guards, but if you noticed Geno shrinks the rotation heavily in the big games. Against ND, Chong got 9 minutes and Williams, who is an excellent player, only got 5, and this with MoJeff fouling out trying to cover Jewel Lloyd. Edwards saw there were too many good girls in front of her. It's a case of over-recruitment. She will be a good player elsewhere.

Geno has always been enamored with big, skilled guards, and this class yielded a bunch but it just didn't work out.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
Honestly I think Geno over-recruited and Edwards was the odd girl out. Edwards saw there were too many good girls in front of her. It's a case of over-recruitment.
I can see that point KSTW, plus it's for 4 years. too.. It's not like any of these girls declare early for the WNBA
draft after a couple of years like the men do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT