ADVERTISEMENT

Sidney Wilson update

You gotta be able to close...............Calipari has shown he can do it and same with Mariano Rivera. For KO this is another blown save..............

True about Cal and what's the saying about nice guys finish last.....From Sid Sr.: “The thing about UConn is, Kevin Ollie is very respectful, I like their coaching staff."
So we do have a humble, respectful coach who's nice to the kids and they gets good grades...that should be enough right ?

I remember one time they said Calipari told a recruit him and St. Johns were recruiting years ago that "Carnesecca had cancer and was gonna die "
Nobody ever called Calipari a nice guy especially: Jim Calhoun calling him a "bullshitter,"

The whole recruiting situation was Sid was odd. He wanted to wait until after May 27th to announce, but then his father told reporters he would announce today literally the day after.

Sid didn't even name St. John's as one of the schools that was pursuing him hardest a few weeks ago. Just a very odd situation.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Like I said I got a response on what changed what happened but still to ST John's regardless of the reason?????

Afghusky yea I was referring to staff when I said that!

Man I love Chillious he just started but outside of that been saying we need dawgs bro on that trail... KO can't be that to recruits face for obvious reasons but these assistants man. Come on man! Then KO has to close them. Can't be me nice guy all the time!! I'm mad... can't wait to go up there soon and speak and then see them on the trail in July in Vegas!!!

:mad:

Man I love Chillious he just started but outside of that been saying we need dawgs bro on that trail... KO can't be that to recruits face for obvious reasons but these assistants man. Come on man! Then KO has to close them. Can't be me nice guy all the time!! I'm mad... can't wait to go up there soon and speak and then see them on the trail in July in Vegas!!!

:mad:

At least you still got faith in KO and Chillious.

I give the whole staff esp. Chillious a pass for this recruiting season bc of all the departures and terrible season that was caused by freak injuries.

Next year is a litmus test of sorts. I feel good about some of the studs in that class but a lot will depend on how well the team plays and how much draft attention Adams and Larrier get through the season.

We shall see. Thanks again for the updates Oz, and I absolutely respect the fact you have to hold some info back. Sometimes too much info can do more harm then good.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I give KO a pass on the poor season but not on the departures. I still don't understand the departures and nobody has attempted to explain them in any meaningful way. One possible explanation is a system failure for these players and another is a coaching failure wherein the player did not think the coach believed in him. I am tending to speculate it could be both in the absence of a reasoned explanation from the people who know more than me, like you guys.

So if this really is the end of the recruiting season, UConn is going into 2017 with ten scholarship players, which is one less than they had last year - and we saw how the lack of depth worked out then. Two of the returning players are coming off of serious injuries, and the third has some mystery problem that may or may not have been permanently resolved. I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt on these late season recruiting losses, because UConn had to go after guys who they got on late, with a reworked staff. However, I'm concerned about the seeming lack of effort with the grad transfers. I really have to hope there is something more in the pipeline - and I don't mean another scholarship-eating project.

So if this really is the end of the recruiting season, UConn is going into 2017 with ten scholarship players, which is one less than they had last year - and we saw how the lack of depth worked out then. Two of the returning players are coming off of serious injuries, and the third has some mystery problem that may or may not have been permanently resolved. I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt on these late season recruiting losses, because UConn had to go after guys who they got on late, with a reworked staff. However, I'm concerned about the seeming lack of effort with the grad transfers. I really have to hope there is something more in the pipeline - and I don't mean another scholarship-eating project.

I totally agree with this. What happened to the grad transfer at Washington who was clearly not a project?????? A 6'10" guy as I recall. You can't call it quits with the roster they have right now. It would be recruiting and roster construction malpractice for all the reasons you mentioned.

Where is @andersonfro ? Does he only show up when there is bad news?

Lol just saw this. WE ALL only show up for bad news! There is only bad news.

The only good news coming is when ko is fired at the end of next season. Certainly oz running his mouth again wouldn't qualify, seriously man, ko didn't even know when 3 kids were leaving for greener pastures from right under his nose, you think he suddenly grew a clue about recruiting? Wake up. The man is an incompetent moron who hired an over rated buddy to help him have a good time. Kids don't want to come to play for a coach who can't score and dads don't want their kids to play for a coach to be named later. Kevin's only hope is jalen absolutely destroying the field next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12rtackerman12
I'm pretty sure KO will be at the Norwalk exit 16 on 95 this time next year with a sign that says 'will ruin your program for food'.

Reactions: UconNell
For those who missed it........that didn't last long......but let's not do the speculation thing with this kid again.... despite what all the "experts" think they know....

but let's not do the speculation thing with this kid again.... despite what all the "experts" think they know....

Blades, your own post provides a link to an article which lists Texas and UConn as the two prominent landing spots for Wilson, so you are doing your best to provide fuel to the speculation like so much gasoline poured on a fire..............actually UConn might be the most logical destination for him if everything said in that article you linked to is true.

On a completely different note, that St. John's program has sucked for quite some time now and Chris Mullin's tenure seems to have been snake-bit. I think Mullin is a good man but his tenure has been marked by transfers and injuries and off court issues. As I recall they even had Zach Brown commit at one time only to see him get arrested. Mullin cannot win....... because he is jinxed.........luck of the Irish ran out when his playing days ended....

Last edited:
For those who missed it........that didn't last long......but let's not do the speculation thing with this kid again.... despite what all the "experts" think they know....
Agreed. We've been burned over recent history. Although u have to wonder (here i go, not heeding your advice B) if Rutgers has a decent year & we struggle....will that catapult them into the picture for SW.

Wow...LOL ! ....in my best Alan Iverson voice " Rutgers.....we talkin' about Rutgers"
Time for a musical message from my boy DJ Steve Porter:

Wow...LOL ! ....in my best Alan Iverson voice " Rutgers.....we talkin' about Rutgers"
Time for a musical message from my boy DJ Steve Porter:
Lmao
Yeah, reading it back it looks like blasphemy. Crazy but that's probably how BC felt when Calhoun 1st donned the blue & white. HCSP is for real & we're in the aac. The record just stopped :)

Reactions: the Blades
You sure it isn't April 1st ?...;)..... it's been a tough recruiting cycle lately ?

Wow that is a potentially huge pickup if he can get the waiver............but not sure I understand why a waiver would be granted. I guess St. John's has to agree?

He probably should of stayed a 2018 like he was , now unlike Drummond who reclassified, Sid might not be playing ball at all this year. But good question KSTW...
I have no idea if St. Johns is involved with a release. If they are let's see if they're as nice as KO was to MAL when he wanted to flip to Providence.

Potential is there for him to play right away but wouldn't be too optimistic on it; could be better for the long haul if he does sit out to get stronger and learn the ropes better; not a giant need for him this year compared to next.

Potential is there for him to play right away but wouldn't be too optimistic on it; could be better for the long haul if he does sit out to get stronger and learn the ropes better; not a giant need for him this year compared to next.
Good call... he looks like he can use some time in the weight room and if this is really Larrier's last year like he posted, then ^^^^

img_0741-png.24430

Great pick up by KO and crew. I hope the KO naysayers give him credit for this. Our last two commits Kwintin and Sid have infused a lot of athleticism into the team. Helps a ton on the fast break and rebounding.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
I really like these last two acquisitions as well, but the 4 and 5 positions still look a bit unsettled despite the presence of a number of bodies. However, the law of bodies, and the strength and depth of the 1-3 positions, give us hope that the team could be pretty good next year.

Reactions: Afghusky15
Good get and Better late than never.

But the job has just begun. Time to develop these kids into winning basketball players.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Good get and Better late than never.

But the job has just begun. Time to develop these kids into winning basketball players.
True and I hope the KO lemmings realize that if he doesn't start doing that, he might not be around by the time Wilson plays his first game (without the waiver).

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Hate that he might lose a season for that summer break at STJ......

Kid has up's and frame........Needed this win BIG TIME !

Worried that if he has to sit out that we are holding our breath that he stays and plays next year.

NICE PICK UP !

Wow he got the waiver. That was quick!

So now they have a full 13 man roster. Small forward appears very deep with talent. 4 and 5 deep with bodies if not talent. The backcourt looks very good and deep.

This is a roster that looks like it can be worked with. There are some very good pieces to build around and perhaps some solid complimentary players. I might now attend the exhibition games. I went to both games last year and I think this team can be a fun experiment to play with.

Wow he got the waiver. That was quick!

No decision yet.... click the link for the full story:
" Wilson, a lanky 6-7 wing with a 7-foot wingspan, transferred to UConn from St. John’s University. Even though he is a freshman beginning his first full semester of classes, he was enrolled in summer school classes at St. John’s and is considered a transfer. Per NCAA rules, he must sit out the 2017-18 basketball season, pending the outcome of a waiver application. If the waiver is denied, Wilson will be able to practice with the Huskies throughout this season and will have four years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2018-19 season. "

Last edited:
How does his scholarship count if he can't play? His 4 years would start 2018, right? But the article you linked says all 13 schollies are used. If he has 4 years of eligibility then what 4 years are his scholly in play?

Just like football who have a bunch of redshirts every year, your recruits go on scholly ( and count towards your total) once they enroll, even if they sit out a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT