ADVERTISEMENT

Official Realistic Options for Next HC of UCONN

$500K over the life of a 5 year deal is $2.5 million. That’s a lot of cash to leave on the table. I don’t know if I would leave it on the table but that’s just me.

Jesus Christ this board is populated by idiots.
Is Glen Miller the snitch?
Glen Miller is still trying to get a coaching job, moron, why would he tank his career by talking to the ncaa unless he were approached?
Unreal, the noise on that lunatic forum.

;)....you got that right..... that place gets out of control ...that's why I never left this site (Rivals) 15 years ago when alot of em' left this board ...and followed their fearless leader to Scout and then they created that independent board..... just to much to hash through on every subject as more and more new posters joined.... Once in a while I'll do a drive-by over there...but never post...;)

Last edited:
The deal is going to happen....I’m sure there are a ton of incentives which bring uconn offer much closer to what Pitt offered. Having your family close is worth a few hundred thousand a year when you are making $2.5 mill already......happy wife, happy life

i always find this info interesting. Do Hurley talks with Benedict, maybe Herbst, Calhoun...no clue really. then he talks to Pitt. from that, someone on each side, or DH’s camp, leaks all this info. tell me who’s giving this info to the media? i know, sources. SMH.

Reactions: the Blades
i always find this info interesting. Do Hurley talks with Benedict, maybe Herbst, Calhoun...no clue really. then he talks to Pitt. from that, someone on each side, or DH’s camp, leaks all this info. tell me who’s giving this info to the media? i know, sources. SMH.
To add to your point about leaks here's another tweet......I wouldn't be surprised by this below, Edsall did this twice to get pay bumps at Uconn. The media reported he was talking to Ga Tech one year and to Notre Dame another. The Fiesta Bowl year we heard no leaks about other schools and he was gone right after the bowl game to Maryland. Also who knows if KO ever had any real interest from the NBA. But it sure helped bumping up his Uconn salary to the $3.4 mil he was at for doing nothing 3 out of the 4 years since the NC.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Of course Hurley is using UConn as leverage. And by doing so he will get a better offer by a lot from Pitt and an offer from URI that is more competitive with whatever chump change UConn can offer. All these leaks are coming from the UConn camp and/or Hurley’s agent and all they are doing is pushing the buttons on the Pitt and URI competing offers. I read the Pitt media reports and they are a bunch of parrots who are chirping what they are getting from CT media sources.

Borges, Jacobs etc. are being used as tools by Hurley’s agent. Very effectively. I have a lot more respect for baseball agent Scott Boras who doesn’t hide behind this anonymous source bullshit and comes right out and tells the media what he thinks. He is very good at doing his job and is also transparent.

Last edited:
Of course Hurley is using UConn as leverage. And by doing so he will get a better offer by a lot from Pitt and an offer from URI that is more competitive with whatever chump change UConn can offer. All these leaks are coming from the UConn camp and/or Hurley’s agent and all they are doing is pushing the buttons on the Pitt and URI competing offers. I read the Pitt media reports and they are a bunch of parrots who are chirping what they are getting from CT media sources.

Borges, Jacobs etc. are being used as tools by Hurley’s agent. Very effectively. I have a lot more respect for baseball agent Scott Boras who doesn’t hide behind this anonymous source bullshit and comes right out and tells the media what he thinks. He is very good at doing his job and is also transparent.
Pitt fan here. More than a few Pitt fans think that he’s using Pitt to squeeze a few more pesos out of you guys or even Rhode Island. Personally, I don’t think that Pitt has a shot at him unless we drastically over-pay him, and I don’t see that happening.

Bottom line is that I’d bet that he’s headed your way if your offer is in the vicinity of what Pitt has already offered. Best of luck to you....

Addendum: believe very little of what’s reported in the Pittsburgh media. They’re lazy and get their info from these message boards and Twitter.

Panther Parrothead,

You may be right but Pitt’s best offer is likely to beat UConn’s best offer and that could be the bottom line. I am basing this on the national media reports which have placed Pitt’s annual offer at $3 million and UConn’s at lower $2 million range. We don’t know how solid those reports are, nor do we know if Hurley might take a “hometown discount” to stay in New England and not uproot his kids who are in school in Kingston RI. Presumably Hurley’s agent will also make more by advising his client to take the best financial offer. Pitt and UConn have different things to offer Hurley as positives. In either case he will have to do a rebuild.

It’s not clear to me who is playing who here but my feeling is Hurley’s agent is playing Dave Benedict (UConn AD), Dave Borges, Jeff Jacobs (CT media) and the source of these reports is Hurley’s agent or inside circle.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Lets not forget Hurley coached at St. Benedictine Prep for 10 years. It’s not even been mentioned but his most impressive coaching was done there, compiling a 223-21 Record in 10 years and becoming the fastest to win 200 games of any coach in New Jersey state history. And the guy who replaced Hurley had a losing record the next year after Hurley left. So this guy is used to toiling in obscurity. It’s possible he just likes Rhode Island. Andersonfro, they do make a really good clam chowder there. Ever eat the chowdah in Newport? My rule of thumb is I never order clam chowder west of New London because it generally sucks. All points between New London and Cape Cod serve great clam chowder and it’s because they take that shit seriously. So maybe Hurley likes his chowdah and likes his Rhode Island turf.

Reactions: permit22
Im just happy for the guy. let him let us fight it out and raise the price. I DO want him here......but have a feeling he is taking Pitt job for conference play a 20-30% higher pay.

Here is an interview I found with Gavin Keefe in the Pitt media. Pitt has officially come in with an offer of $3 million a year, and Keefe does not seem to think UConn can match it, so it comes down to how close UConn will come:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/20/uconn-beat-writer-gavin-keefe-on-danny-hurley/

If Hurley goes with Pitt, we will all know UConn did not come close and got flat outbid. Which they should have expected would happen with any P5 school that got involved. And then we will be back to discussing the universe of "value hires", of which there are some good ones still out there.

Lets not forget Hurley coached at St. Benedictine Prep for 10 years. It’s not even been mentioned but his most impressive coaching was done there, compiling a 223-21 Record in 10 years and becoming the fastest to win 200 games of any coach in New Jersey state history. And the guy who replaced Hurley had a losing record the next year after Hurley left. So this guy is used to toiling in obscurity. It’s possible he just likes Rhode Island. Andersonfro, they do make a really good clam chowder there. Ever eat the chowdah in Newport? My rule of thumb is I never order clam chowder west of New London because it generally sucks. All points between New London and Cape Cod serve great clam chowder and it’s because they take that shit seriously. So maybe Hurley likes his chowdah and likes his Rhode Island turf.

I agree with your chowder comments for the most part, though Fred's Shanty in New London serves canned Hormmel chowder & I can't see a grown man choosing RI anything. Did you know they sell cheeseless pizza in RI gas stations and call it part of their culture? Ask any transplanted Little Rhodyer about it and their eyes glaze with nostalgia.

I do have a difficult time believing that the ad can't offer at close to the same salary theyve been paying.

Chillious is making 300k and Glen was under 200. Possible some of these negotiations revolve around assistant's salary, I'm sure Hurley wants his guys and maybe Pitt is willing to pay them a lot more.

There are also other factors to consider such as expectations. Pitt accepts their situation for what it is, a total rebuild. Go look at TOS to see how delusional our fan base is, people actually think we have a decent roster, that's going to create some bs expectations for the new staff.

Where did you get the under $200K number?
.........................................................................................................Earnings..............Fringe package...............Total
Miller, Glen..(2017)...................University of Connecticut............ 284,647.73......... 64,373.70.................... 349,021.43
even KH was over $200K before he left:
Hobbs, Karl.(2016)....................University of Connecticut............246,383.53.......... 47,729.04.................... 294,112.57

Employee Compensation - Transparency Connecticut - CT.gov

Reactions: andersonfro
Whether it's the head coach or the assistants (including Tom Moore, who would presumably be in his second stint as UConn AC if Hurley accepts an offer as HC), there needs to be money there to pay them. The media would have you believing that the AD has to line up some money to take care of the Ollie liability, on top of the budgeted money for head and assistant coaches. If money has not been lined up to take care of the Ollie liability, then the UConn administration is negotiating numbers and budgets that are unknown as far as actual money on hand to pay them. The safe thing to do would be to negotiate the Hurley contract assuming the $10 million to buy out Ollie in full will be needed in full, otherwise these guys are playing Russian Roulette with the money they have.

Now the plot really thickens as Sean Miller, a potential "value hire" for Pitt, has reached out to Pitt through intermediaries, reportedly, to express interest in the Pitt job:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...red-goodman-hurley-head-coach-salary-contract

Miller played at Pitt, and has ties there, and if Pitt senses they can hire him at a discounted price, could they pull the offer to Hurley and offer Miller less based on Miller's depreciation in value due to the NCAA investigation of Miller/Arizona? Essentially it's the same reasoning for UConn approaching the damaged Pitino as a "value hire."

I doubt Pitt would pull the offer but they might demand a deadline for commitment by Hurley and move on if they don't get one. It's called making the offer "time of the essence."

I'm a Pitt fan and wanted see what you guys thought about Hurley. I have a membership on Pitt's pay site, and we aren't optimistic about Hurley accepting the offer. Most people prefer Miller actually, including myself. Good Luck to you guys.

Hi CJ,

I think most of the members here are enthusiastic about Hurley potentially as UConn's next head coach. I am a little less enthusiastic than most here because I was not all that impressed with Rhode Island when I saw them play, because I did not think they played good defense and in end game situations of big games they looked disorganized to me and scattershot. Hurley's record as a college coach is mildly impressive, his record as a high school coach moreso.

I am also bothered by the unexplained manner in which Hurley, then Seton Hall's starting point guard, abruptly left the team leading to a blowout loss to UConn. It later emerged that he had depression/anxiety but no official statement was ever given for midseason departure leaving his team in the lurch. If he bailed on his team once, my feeling is he will do it again. I may be wrong on this but I never had a warm or fuzzy feeling about this guy after what he did to Seton Hall.

Despite this Hurley seems to have more recently emerged as a media darling. I am willing to give him a chance despite my concerns noted above and I would support him if he is hired.

My opinion is that if Pitt can get Miller for less than Hurley they should hire him, provided that they do their due diligence and can clear him from the NCAA investigation.

I get the sense that we're cautiously optimistic about Hurley's potential.

Of the targets speculated on by print media, he's probably my 1st choice.

From the RI media: Kevin McNamara: Hurley’s decision won’t be an easy one
You are Dan Hurley and you have a decision to make.

The part of the article where he's licking Uconn's ego:
"Now a $20 million pay package at Pitt (over seven years) will be at least $8 million more than what URI could ever offer. That’s a small fortune to leave on the table but if you decide to bolt it’s understandable why it seems you and your family would be a better fit in Connecticut where your parents can still drive from New Jersey and watch you work. But if UConn can pay $2.5 million over seven years, that’s about $7 million more than you could earn at URI. That’s another not-so-small fortune. The UConn program has fallen into disrepair. Kevin Ollie has recruited poorly and the Huskies have suffered a significant drop-off in fan appeal since switching to the American Athletic Conference. That can quickly change, however, with someone like you calling the shots. If you text the top hotshots in New York and New Jersey now, most are never getting back to you. At UConn, your cell will be on fire."

Last edited:
Now the plot really thickens as Sean Miller, a potential "value hire" for Pitt, has reached out to Pitt through intermediaries, reportedly, to express interest in the Pitt job:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...red-goodman-hurley-head-coach-salary-contract

Miller played at Pitt, and has ties there, and if Pitt senses they can hire him at a discounted price, could they pull the offer to Hurley and offer Miller less based on Miller's depreciation in value due to the NCAA investigation of Miller/Arizona? Essentially it's the same reasoning for UConn approaching the damaged Pitino as a "value hire."

I doubt Pitt would pull the offer but they might demand a deadline for commitment by Hurley and move on if they don't get one. It's called making the offer "time of the essence."

"Now a $20 million pay package at Pitt (over seven years) will be at least $8 million more than what URI could ever offer. That’s a small fortune to leave on the table but if you decide to bolt it’s understandable why it seems you and your family would be a better fit in Connecticut where your parents can still drive from New Jersey and watch you work. But if UConn can pay $2.5 million over seven years, that’s about $7 million more than you could earn at URI. That’s another not-so-small fortune. The UConn program has fallen into disrepair. Kevin Ollie has recruited poorly and the Huskies have suffered a significant drop-off in fan appeal since switching to the American Athletic Conference. That can quickly change, however, with someone like you calling the shots. If you text the top hotshots in New York and New Jersey now, most are never getting back to you. At UConn, your cell will be on fire."

According to that analysis, Hurley would leave $2.5 million on the table by accepting the purported UConn 7 year offer over the purported (but widely reported) Pitt 7 year offer. I am reminded of Jim Calhoun's famous line, "not a dime back [to State of CT]." Could Hurley's motto be, "not a dime left on the table?" Or, does the thought of his cellphone being "on fire" with texts from hot NY/NJ recruits have some value to Hurley that serves to wash with the $2.5 million left on the table?

Is it really chump change in the great scheme of things? The baseball fans here probably know that Mike Moustakas, an all star 3rd baseman for the KC Royals, turned down a one year $17.4 million dollar qualifying offer from the Royals in November in order to test his value on the free agent market, only to find out that no offers were waiting and he recently re-signed with the Royals for $5.5 million for 2018. Yep, Moustakas and his agent left $12 million on the table - for one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
According to that analysis, Hurley would leave $2.5 million on the table by accepting the purported UConn 7 year offer over the purported (but widely reported) Pitt 7 year offer. I am reminded of Jim Calhoun's famous line, "not a dime back [to State of CT]." Could Hurley's motto be, "not a dime left on the table?" Or, does the thought of his cellphone being "on fire" with texts from hot NY/NJ recruits have some value to Hurley that serves to wash with the $2.5 million left on the table? Is it really chump change in the great scheme of things?
I'm not deciding these things, it's all on you experts and media types....but did you selectively read the analysis : " but if you decide to bolt it’s understandable why it seems you and your family would be a better fit in Connecticut where your parents can still drive from New Jersey and watch you work. "

plus another expert...;)... tweeted this:

I am not an expert nor am I deciding anything, but if Hurley truly is a "family guy", why wouldn't he stay in RI and not uproot his kids from attending high school there?

He just needs to make a decision at this point, so we can all move on. The numbers are what they are, the quality of life in each venue is what it is, so he just needs to figure it out and decide.

Knight was a flat out better coach on Xs and Os than K ever was. Knight’s issue was his personality, which was too over the top in intensity. A great coach needs to possess intensity, but Knight was the classic example of too much intensity getting in the way of lasting success. He was a brilliant coach and in the 1970s and 1980s he outcoached Dean Smith and Jim Boeheim in the NCAA tourney when Smith and Boeheim had better teams.

I am certain Pitino's people will be reaching out.
He is 65 and I believe in good health. JC is 75 and I would question he could handle the riggers of an entire season + recruiting.

Pitino's oversights have been well documented but frankly, Louisville just participated in NCAA rule breaking along with dozens of other schools they compete with.
Unfortunately for him he was the 1st exposed by the FBI probe, and the school took immediate action.

Had Pitino not been the 1st exposed, he would still be coaching like Sean Miller and every other rule breaker that has been and will be outted.

Rick has connections and we know he can build programs at the highest level.
Any potential sanctions for his transgressions would be levied against Louisville.

It is a low risk high reward move.
I could even see a scenario where Rick would bring on JC as a consultant or associate HC.
Louisville took immediate action because of two assistants were caught up in the FBI probe plus what his former Ops guy did with the hookers.

Louisville was already on probation when one of his assistants got caught on FBI video.

There definitely was not a culture of compliance at Louisville and it was staining the university.

That's why they took immediate action. A pattern was established and Pitino had to go. Especially since Louisville, for years, held up the "pity card" and claimed they were doing things the right way and that's why they didn't get elite one-and-done players.

ADVERTISEMENT