ADVERTISEMENT

Official Realistic Options for Next HC of UCONN

In 10 years.

Maybe he's got a bright future but I don't think he's got the resume uconn should be looking for.

OK Folks
We all know there is nothing to look forward to with UCONN basketball except the eventual ouster and replacement of Kevin Ollie as Head Coach.

The team is unwatchable
All of the threads are rightfully negative about how bad things are

Let's sprinkle some optimism into the gloom and doom.
Come one come all, give us your wish list of potential replacements.
Please make them realistic, John Calipari requests need not be posted.

I will start:
Danny Hurley - URI
Eric Musselman - currently Nevada and ex NBA HC
Kind of a foolish post. Kevin Ollie won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 4 YEARS AGO!! He is going to be able to coach next year with an excellent recruiting class coming in.

took JC 5 yrs, right? think he was given a longer (maybe 7 yrs?) contract cuz even Blacklock knew it would take time...
and some people were pissed at him for not making ncaas the year after winning the nit. gonna take SP time with that school. don’t count him out...way too early

KSTW, what is it with u and monkey/donkey balls? it’s all good. we all have shit in our respective closets. just wondering what yours is ;)

jk buddy. all in good fun.

Well, I'll be damned....I had no idea there were still people who think this guy can run a d1 program
When you see Akinjo, Sidney Wilson, Matthews and the other recruits you will be very happy Kevin stayed. If you are not hiding under a rock I will remind you then!

When you see Akinjo, Sidney Wilson, Matthews and the other recruits you will be very happy Kevin stayed. If you are not hiding under a rock I will remind you then!

I don't care if he has talent like Juwan Durham, Jalen Adams, Steven Enoch, Vance Jackson and Al Gilbert, the guy simply can't coach

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Durham was basically a cripple when he played was here. Enoch could not guard a chair, Jackson could shoot and tried to play defense but his dad wanted him to be the focus of our offense and that didn't work.You blame Kevin for AL Gilbert but he has been injured the entire time he has been at Uconn and that's obviously not Ollies fault. Like I said your going to be hiding under a rock next year when Kevin has his team reloaded.

Durham was basically a cripple when he played was here. Enoch could not guard a chair, Jackson could shoot and tried to play defense but his dad wanted him to be the focus of our offense and that didn't work.You blame Kevin for AL Gilbert but he has been injured the entire time he has been at Uconn and that's obviously not Ollies fault. Like I said your going to be hiding under a rock next year when Kevin has his team reloaded.

Ah, so you're choosing to buy into the propaganda that came from "uconn family" central relating to those kids, who are so bad they upgraded programs in the case of Steve and JD. Ok, can't help you there.

A. Kevin is a dead man walking, you & his sister are the last two people on earth who are in denial. Even Kevin knows he's gone.

B. If we go to imagination land and say that the FBI investigation has backed us into a corner where we can't risk hiring someone new (because Kevin certainly hasn't coached his way to next year), who do you think he has coming in that can effectively run a 3 guard weave for offensive scoring opportunities?

Bonus quedtion: who is transferring out?

Dwayne and Ralphie, who bring no value to the game are sitting next to ko while anyone with ties to JC are allllll the way down the bench and given nothing to do. I wonder how JC feels about this clown publically saying he talks to Larry can't win a thing with integrity Brown after games?

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
God bless you blenner. You are the type of guy that would still be playing his instrument as the ship sunk into the ocean.

Critiquing Durham, Enoch and Jackson doesn't really help your argument about Ollie as a good talent evaluator or developer of skills.

Ask your buddy Ozzie about hiding under a rock. The rest of us(7-8) will all still be here win or lose. And Hopefully with a new coach.

God bless you blenner. You are the type of guy that would still be playing his instrument as the ship sunk into the ocean.

Critiquing Durham, Enoch and Jackson doesn't really help your argument about Ollie as a good talent evaluator or developer of skills.

Ask your buddy Ozzie about hiding under a rock. The rest of us(7-8) will all still be here win or lose. And Hopefully with a new coach.
Canolee trust in the process. Uconn with KO as head coach has one more year left and with the new recruits and possibly Jalen coming back we are going to do just fine next year.

I hope so blenner.

The difference is consistency. This is uconn. Back to back losing seasons is Unfathomable. And just making the tourney once every 3/4 years is not going to cut it.

I endorse the Pitino hiring, with a contract that enables escape and voiding of payment if any shit comes down on him. He is the best available coach.

Speaking of....remember this: Geno Auriemma says he would hire Rick Pitino at UConn

"If I had a job opening? Yes," Auriemma said. "Well, I mean, everybody's got baggage. You know, what are you going to do? You know, he did his time. He's serving his sentence. He lost a great, great job. And you know what? So what. That's a life sentence? I don't know, I don't think so."

I definitely would hire Pitino before Hurley, Crean, Matta or any of the other names that have been thrown around. The contract has to be drafted carefully and his selections of assistants will have to be closely supervised. Contract will probably have a morals clause in it. He doesn't care, he just wants to coach and the man can coach. Who are we to judge him except between the lines on the Court. His teams were always tough to play.

UConn please bring in Ricky P for an interview - he will turn this around! He just needs to have some better people around him to watch out for the players and perhaps Ricky P himself at times.

Is the NCAA investigation complete on him? He was fired by Louisville, but I don't know if that means there aren't further sanctions against him down the road. Usually with situations like his, the coach receives a ban, and can only be hired if a university proves some type of just cause for the hiring.

There is no just cause order against Pitino. He is free to coach with anyone who hires him. Obviously his contract can be crafted to allow for penalties that might be handed to him.

I am certain Pitino's people will be reaching out.
He is 65 and I believe in good health. JC is 75 and I would question he could handle the riggers of an entire season + recruiting.

Pitino's oversights have been well documented but frankly, Louisville just participated in NCAA rule breaking along with dozens of other schools they compete with.
Unfortunately for him he was the 1st exposed by the FBI probe, and the school took immediate action.

Had Pitino not been the 1st exposed, he would still be coaching like Sean Miller and every other rule breaker that has been and will be outted.

Rick has connections and we know he can build programs at the highest level.
Any potential sanctions for his transgressions would be levied against Louisville.

It is a low risk high reward move.
I could even see a scenario where Rick would bring on JC as a consultant or associate HC.

The NHR Uconn beat writer Borges puts a list together:

4. Jim Calhoun: The legendary, Hall of Fame coach is slated to lead the University of St. Joseph Division III program next year, but would leave that in a heartbeat to return to the helm of the program he guided to three national titles. Indications are that university officials higher up than AD Dave Benedict have inquired about Calhoun’s interest, and he would likely work for a relatively cheap sum (say, $1 million) for a few years while bringing in a coach-in-waiting like, perhaps, Glen Miller, Tom Moore, Donyell Marshall or Scott Burrell.

Couple others mentioned:
6. Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City Thunder: His job appears to be in jeopardy with the Thunder, and the native New Yorker who starred at Providence boasts a pair of national titles at Florida. Likely a longshot, however.

7. Ed Cooley, Providence: Former Fairfield head coach has Friars on verge of unprecedented fifth straight NCAA tourney bid. But the Providence native bleeds Friar black and white and would seem unlikely.

8. Frank Martin, South Carolina: A source close to Martin said that Martin’s upset his program hasn’t made the commitment to basketball that seemed warranted after a Final Four run and may be looking to leave.

NHR- Who’s next: A look at potential UConn men’s basketball...

I favor Pitino over all candidates mentioned by Borges, even Calhoun. Anyone know what Calhoun’s record was against Pitino? Pitino is a great coach, a proven coach everywhere he has been. He took PC to the Final 4....... have they even sniffed a Final 4 since?

I think they got to an elite 8 under Rick Barnes with Austin Croshere/God Shamgod.

My #1 would be a former Providence player, Billy Donovan.

Everything Donovan knows he knows from Pitino his former coach. However he is just a disciple and the disciple is never as good as the mentor and Donovan isn’t.

Khalid, Donovan is 13 years younger(52) and has as many national championships. He also wouldn't be as easy to negative recruit against.

Either aren't realistic, but would be grand slam hires.

And how did Belichek do as a disciple of Parcells?

And how did Belichek do as a disciple of Parcells?

Hogwash/media brainwash. Belichik got to coach the best QB of all time. Let's see how many games he would have won with DeShone Kizer as his QB. Parcells won two Super Bowls with substandard offensive teams, one of which was quarterbacked by Jeff Hostetler. It was a different era of NFL football, when you were able to win by running the football behind a good OL. NFL success now is predicated by how good your QB is, and if he is good you win and if he isn't you suck moose balls. It's that simple.

Back to Pitino. Look at the records of Calhoun and Donovan against him head to head. Purely on ability to coach Pitino takes a backseat to nobody. The man is 65 and probably has 10 more years left. Donovan's system is merely a bastard version of Pitino's. Why settle for the illegitimate child when you can have the real baby?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT