ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This pitiful team is ranked #353 in the KenPom ratings (UConn is now #18), meaning only 5 teams are ranked lower. They play a 5 guard offense with no players over 6'5". They will be giving up significant size at 4 positions against UConn. They are 2-3, with wins over Bryn Athyn and Fordham in double OT:
This is the game where Diggins, Johnson and Springs have to play big minutes.

They play a 5 guard offense with no players over 6'5". They will be giving up significant size at 4 positions against UConn.
TUES- 7pm @ XL Center- TV: CBS Sports Network
Yep they're the epitome of a small ball team. The only guys bigger in the MD-ES rotation are two 6-7 forwards off the bench. Also they lost another game last night and are 2-4. But I saw MD-ES only lost to St. Joe's by 2 points, who beat Georgetown Friday ( SMH, Patrick ). Which puts the Hoya's at 342 in the RPI.....MD-ES is now at 226.

the Numbers
(click image)
8-Maryland-Eastern-Shore-hoops-2021-22-a.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight's game should be an opportunity for Sanogo to have a very big game as there is no size to oppose him. I could see MES playing some zone defense although not sure if that's what they usually do.

This is also a good game to get Samson Johnson in there and get him some quality minutes, ditto with Diggins and Springs. Those 3 should be able to play 15 or more minutes in a game like this.

Tonight's game should be an opportunity for Sanogo to have a very big game as there is no size to oppose him. I could see MES playing some zone defense although not sure if that's what they usually do.

This is also a good game to get Samson Johnson in there and get him some quality minutes, ditto with Diggins and Springs. Those 3 should be able to play 15 or more minutes in a game like this.
True on Sanogo and MD-ES's lack of height. I'm wondering how they played a 2 pt game vs. St. Joe's ( who just beat Georgetown) and their frontline of 6-10, 6-8 and 6-7 ?

Last edited:
only up 8 at the half is scary, but MES has played well and doesn’t look like a 2-4 team.

Great post game from Ian with Hurley.

DH mentioned every cemented headed thing I saw live that was going on and needs to be corrected. Best move he made personel wise was benching AJ and his ridiculously dumb passing and sloppy ball handling for most of the 2nd, even though he needs him with Martin out. Plus Adama still posting up way to far from the hoop which leads to poor % fadaway shots and more time for the opponent to trap him, which he still won't look to pass out of. ADAMA your to damn strong to let them force you out, that far away from the hoop !

And Hawkins taking the same kind of forced offense that Alterique and Vital learned under KO, which it took CV half way through his SR year to get it and learned to become a winning player. While AG never learned.

The 2 things from a coaching view, is if your gonna put these small ball teams on the schedule then learn to play a match up zone where you don't play right into their hands ! Stop letting them spread you out and allowing them to take your bigger players away from the hoop and leaving the paint wide open, while they use their small ball match-ups in their favor, by beating Uconn off the dribble, over and over and over and over, SMH !!!!!

Secondly is DH needs to take serious look at what they are running on offense, because the opponents know they are easy as hell to trap, especially when the guy with the ball picks up his dribble 30 feet from the basket (Duh!)

He might want to take a look at some of the teams he's playing where everything isn't congested with constant screens and hand offs ( to guys who can't dribble) that's putting the ball in the wrong players hands to far from the hoop and allowing traps while the other 4 Uconn players are to busy running away and around, to set screens, and they have no fr#$ckin clue what's going on with the ball (Earth to Uconn it's being trapped !)

He probably could take a look at Uconn's offenses while guys like Bazz or Kemba were running it. Did you ever see them handing off to a big 30 feet away then have to run around a bunch of screens just to get it back, so he could get the offense going with no time left on the shot clock ???......I don't think so ! No they orchestrated the offense facing the basket like a QB with the screen action being run by the other guys until they either delivered a pass, beat their man off the dribble or a combination of both. Seemed pretty efficient to me . END OF RANT !

Last edited:
DH mentioned after the VCU game that UConn, unfortunately, is a trappable team because they don't have good ball handling guards who are press proof. There are no Khalid El Amins on the team as far as ball handlers. However you are right that they are making matters worse by picking up the dribble and, in Cole's case, these back or reverse dribbles in which he is going away from the basket and away from the help (which isn't coming) and just making it easier for the defense. MES watched tape from BOA and they had an excellent game plan both offensively and defensively. I thought their team was much better than what I was expecting. Also interesting is they hung on the boards with UConn. That really shouldn't happen with a team that has no starters over 6'5". You have to be able to crush them on the boards and if that doesn't happen it's going to be trouble, and it was. Tyrese being out hurts. Adama being out will also hurt. UConn could be in trouble against WVU and St. Bonnie's, unless other people step up big time. AJ has to develop and stop playing like he is still in high school with the loose passes

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Love Hawkins athleticism and stroke, but he’s been very shaky putting it on the floor. He won’t become a star, until he remedies that.

and Andre has great tools and vision, but he has to omit the reckless and stupid.

Reactions: the Blades
Watching Michigan State hammer Louisville tonight made me appreciate that UConn was maybe a made FT from AJ away from beating these bullies. AJ makes that FT, he does not go over the back on his missed FT, and then maybe MSU does not get the ensuing runout when UConn checked out mentally on transition D.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT