ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 MBB team

Castle sounds like a summer decision, just a hunch. But I think everything from this point is as PT allows or looks available to the free agents. And true on a ( smaller, quick, change of pace, good D) PG willing to ride in the back seat.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
How do you bench Naheem when he has been starting for 3 years and Hawkins has only started a couple of games?
I hear ya and this will be DH's job and vision to everyone he brings in or even play both and more like Nova in their small ball line-ups with 4 guards, like Rothstein mentions. Everyone is such a copy cat in hoops !

Hawkins is a projected top 10 pick next year. He’s starting imo.

is Andre your 4?

Hawkins is a projected top 10 pick next year. He’s starting imo.

is Andre your 4?
I've read that idea and Rothstein is printing it, but he still has Floyd as a newcomer, SMH

Uconn #19

• Haha
Reactions: CaNOLEE
I think Rothstein has UConn picked too low. If Karaban and Clingan pan out UConn could be a lot better. Karaban looks very strong in the video above, like a man among boys. If he does the poor man's Luka thing for UConn, it will move them up. Karaban and Clingan look like the kind of Big 10 type bruisers UConn has not gotten in the past. If they can assist Sanogo in kicking some ass on the boards, and with tons of rebounds coming from Newton with 5 a game and Jackson with almost 7 a game, UConn is going to be punishing people on the boards.

I also see lots of departures still for teams ranked ahead of UConn. Duke just lost a 3rd guy to the draft. Rothstein needs to update his board. Also, Villanova #8, does anyone think they will be that good? I am viewing Creighton as the team to beat.

Last edited:
I've read that idea and Rothstein is printing it, but he still has Floyd as a newcomer, SMH

Uconn #19

For all his deficiencies, last week AJ was our starting PG. Today he’s our PF. 😊 that tells you how unique his skill set is.

as for the frosh, I think Karaban helps us before Clingan. The way Hurley is recruiting, are we moving to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? I kid. At least I hope so.

Reactions: the Blades
We have been repeatedly told that Clingan is not ready, but I don't know that yet. He has supposedly lost weight and gotten whipped into better shape. I watch his tape and I see very simple and efficient movements and, most importantly, he is comfortable using either hand to score as shown in this tape:

For all his deficiencies, last week AJ was our starting PG. Today he’s our PF. 😊 that tells you how unique his skill set is.

as for the frosh, I think Karaban helps us before Clingan. The way Hurley is recruiting, are we moving to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? I kid. At least I hope so.
I don't know if believe that line-up either but like I say coaches are copy cats, so maybe Jay's/ Nova's success with small ball has Dan overcorrecting. That being said I don't see Andre fitting in the 4 spot as seamlessly as Samuels at 6-7/230 did for Nova. Also don't know how they'll translate into their PT but Samson or Karaban as a stretch 4 seems like a preferred fit... but only the carpenter knows.

We have been repeatedly told that Clingan is not ready, but I don't know that yet. He has supposedly lost weight and gotten whipped into better shape. I watch his tape and I see very simple and efficient movements and, most importantly, he is comfortable using either hand to score as shown in this tape:
Yep..... Here's a newly posted Clingan video from a few days ago vs. much better comp. ( NBPA TOP 100 camp, I think last summer)...I'm kinda suprised that he doesn't look out of place from what we've been told. And from what is really hard to discern from playing vs. smaller local HS kids.

Conditioning, more strength, a little more ups and maturing into his body, as with alot of bigs, seems to be all that he needs to be able to move up in comp and fit in nicely. Which as was mentioned he's lost about 15-20 lbs, which should help. I guess as the saying goes you can't teach height and certainly not 7' plus.

Last edited:
I like how he again shows use of both hands. And is not afraid to go under the basket and lay it in with left hand. But again in this tape he is much taller and bigger than the opposing defenders

I like how he again shows use of both hands. And is not afraid to go under the basket and lay it in with left hand. But again in this tape he is much taller and bigger than the opposing defenders
But you do realize this is vs. some of the top 100 players his age in the country and there were a ton of players 6-10 or taller (12) that he played against. Meaning he's one really big kid and might be the 7-2 that some have him listed at now.

Last edited:
He looked a lot bigger is all I could see on that tape. Hopefully he will play the same way next year.

I don't think UConn has ever had a smooth offensive player over 7 foot. Thabeet was a functional garbage player but was by no means a complete player and this was exposed at the NBA level. Travis Knight was a guy who could mainly run the Court and fit in well with the transition offenses he played on but wasn't really a low post scorer. I don't think UConn has had a player like Clingan over 7 foot, ever. He is a Big 10 type of player which they never recruited or got in the past. Simply stated. He is, for UConn, a seminal power type offensive big man.

BTW Chuck Aleksinas might be closest UConn had to Clingan but Chuck was 6'11" - smaller. But he is the only historical comparison:
Chuck was kind of a disappointing rebounder for a guy who was 6'11" and 260. Andre Jackson had almost as many rebounds as Chuck in his best college season.

Last edited:
He looked a lot bigger is all I could see on that tape. Hopefully he will play the same way next year.

I don't think UConn has ever had a smooth offensive player over 7 foot. Thabeet was a functional garbage player but was by no means a complete player and this was exposed at the NBA level. Travis Knight was a guy who could mainly run the Court and fit in well with the transition offenses he played on but wasn't really a low post scorer. I don't think UConn has had a player like Clingan over 7 foot, ever. He is a Big 10 type of player which they never recruited or got in the past. Simply stated. He is, for UConn, a seminal power type offensive big man.

BTW Chuck Aleksinas might be closest UConn had to Clingan but Chuck was 6'11" - smaller. But he is the only historical comparison:
Chuck was kind of a disappointing rebounder for a guy who was 6'11" and 260. Andre Jackson had almost as many rebounds as Chuck in his best college season.
Yeah I remember Chuck who came back from UK...the Morris Mountain.... who played with Corny T and Mike Mckay when my sister went to Uconn.

Yeah I remember Chuck who came back from UK...the Morris Mountain.... who played with Corny T and Mike Mckay when my sister went to Uconn.
The "Morris Mountain" did not exactly have mountainous rebounding stats. Not like UConn career leading rebounder Art Quimby who averaged a Rodman like 21.5 for his career and was 6'5":
Chuck averaged 5 boards a game for his career and in his disappointing final season at UConn, only 5.1, this despite being 6'11" and 260 pounds.

Quimby averaged 23.4 points and 24.4 boards his senior year, but was a black hole with 0.4 assists. My father was a freshman at UConn the year after Quimby graduated.

The "Morris Mountain" did not exactly have mountainous rebounding stats. Not like UConn career leading rebounder Art Quimby who averaged a Rodman like 21.5 for his career and was 6'5":
Chuck averaged 5 boards a game for his career and in his disappointing final season at UConn, only 5.1, this despite being 6'11" and 260 pounds.

Quimby averaged 23.4 points and 24.4 boards his senior year, but was a black hole with 0.4 assists. My father was a freshman at UConn the year after Quimby graduated.
Yeah I think read about him walking by that Uconn wall of fame in Gampel. It's amazing how much smaller people were back then with him at 6-5 (and some other bench guy) the "giant" of the team with a couple of 6-3 forwards. Could you imagine someone like him transported to even to the 80's, he'd probably never even get off the bench.

Also we went way OT, but I just found this site a fan put up that's been around for awhile, with alot of past Uconn player updates...

Last edited:
So here's a story in today's Courant to get back on topic.

Wow, you mean running an offense with two 6-9 players with no ability off the bounce being stuck with the ball 25 feet from the hoop as the shot clock ran down, was a bad plan ????.... Who woulda thunk it, LOL ! ( I kid, I kid.... I was like a broken record last year about this fact)

excerpts:
Dan Hurley wants to go back to his roots next season with the implementation of the four-out, one-in motion offense.

>>>>“The way we’ve played the last couple of years was determined by who our best players were,” he said. “In terms of having this core group of Isaiah Whaley, Tyrese Martin, and R.J. Cole, our frontcourt, in particular, our best players, have been Isaiah and Adama Sanogo We had to find a way of playing him. “It’s really the last couple of years here and because the strength of our team was a great center Adama and Whaley, it put us in more of a three and a half around two or whatever you want to call it.” <<<<

>>>
With the departure of starting guards Cole and Martin, Hurley brought in Newton and Alleyne, who fit well into the offense with the spacing they provide. Alleyne shot 37.3% from the 3-point line this past season, and Newton shot a serviceable 33.3%......The offense is built around players that can handle the ball while constantly making decisions on the fly, something both guards excel at. “More guards can allow us to open up the floor,” Hurley said. “Just having more weapons on the perimeter than we’ve had and, overall, more depth and weapons.”......... “The biggest advantage is the spacing that you can play in on the offense end,” he said. “Obviously, we are not playing small perimeter players or small guards. You are talking about 6-foot-4, 6-foot-6, 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-7 types of players. The switchability on defense and 1-4 at times. With guys like Alex Karaban and Samson Johnson have the agility to do that as well. It’s about trying to put better spacing around some outstanding centers we have in Adama and Donovan Clingan.”<<<<

>>>>The starting lineup could look like Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo. If that ends up being the starting lineup, the shortest player would be Alleyne, who is 6 feet 4. Last season, it was 6-foot-1 starting point guard Cole. It is one of the reasons UConn played two bigs on the floor in Whaley and Sanogo. Hurley wants to take advantage of the spacing the four-out, one-in motion offense can provide. <<<<

Unfortunatly his offense last year didn't fit his personnel, yet he stubbornly kept trying to fit a square peg into a round whole instead of changing what he ran for them. But it sounds like the carpenter is correcting that.

Last edited:
I don't know if believe that line-up either but like I say coaches are copy cats, so maybe Jay's/ Nova's success with small ball has Dan overcorrecting. That being said I don't see Andre fitting in the 4 spot as seamlessly as Samuels at 6-7/230 did for Nova. Also don't know how they'll translate into their PT but Samson or Karaban as a stretch 4 seems like a preferred fit... but only the carpenter knows.
Also from the Courant article......hmmm... I think I just said something similar in this thread, but......

another excerpt:
>>>>Hurley’s seen the success Big East rival Villanova has had with this style of play.
“I’ve been coaching four perimeters out, one-in, pretty much my whole career,” he said. “I don’t think I am going to emulate anybody that has played this way because I’ve played this way for a large amount of time. You do see the success Villanova has had, Baylor had the year before with winning the national championship with four really skilled guys around the one interior guy.” <<<

Last edited:
Small ball remains de rigeuer in the NBA. In each of the past two postseasons, teams have used small ball lineups and 3 point shooting to eliminate the Utah Jazz from the NBA playoffs. Last year, it was the LA Clippers. This year, it was the Dallas Mavericks doing the same thing to them with coach Jason Kidd deploying the small 3 point shooting lineups. Utah chose to double team Luka Doncic, and he is a hard guy to double team because he finds open teammates who then shoot 3s.

I don't know what happened to Big Ball and Bully Ball. In 1960s and 1970s was perfected by Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. It used to work fairly well for many years. I think the small ball phenomenon really originated with the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s. They made it cool to win with centers who completely sucked. So other teams started to say, "if they can win with guys like Bill Cartwright and Bill Wennington and Luc Longley at center and skilled players around them, then we can do it." And the center position became de-emphasized. Then the Golden State Warriors, coached by Steve Kerr who played on those Bulls teams, perfected small ball. Now everyone wants to do it and everyone is doing it, and those who have the best personnel with which to do it win.

Small ball remains de rigeuer in the NBA.
I'm not really concerned with what the NBA does. I am concerned with 2022-23 Uconn or with a HC who can't adjust based on his personnel. We saw the opposite about 4 years ago when DH was trying to play small but with the wrong players even back then. Trying to start 6-0, 6-2 and a 6-3 at the SF, who would get torched trying to handle any legit small forward and by bigger teams on switches by all 3. At least now he has the positionless type personnel that fits what he's trying to do, so he should be all set......or as DH say's: “I feel like I’m going to have my best team next season.”

He is also going to have his biggest team not just in height but width. UConn next year will have a much physically stronger team than any of the last 4.

One other thing worth noting: next years team will be the first UConn team comprised entirely of Hurley staff-recruited players. The last guys from Ollie's regime have all departed.

STARTERS
Possible Starters-
Tristan Newton......6-5/200..... PG......SR
Naheem Alleyne.....6-4/195......G......SR
Jordan Hawkins.....6-5/187.....SG.... SO
Andre Jackson ......6-6/210..... F/G....JR
Samson Johnson....6-10/205....F......SO
Adama Sanogo.......6-9/245.......C.....JR

Alex Karaban...........6-8/210..... .F.........FR
Richie Springs..........6-9/230.......F......RS JR
Donovan Clingan....7-2/250........C......FR

One thing this team ain't.... is small ! ...DH... mentions adding 2 more perimeters players again in this article...also " Freshman Alex Karaban, Hurley said, can play both forward positions, but he’s more of a shooter than a post player. Sophomore Samson Johnson is a power forward, long, wiry.......

So Uconn at times could go 6-5, 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, and 6-10 (or 7-2 when Clingan plays)
or now small ball with 6-4, 6-5, 6-5, 6-6 and 6-9
STARTERS
Possible Starters-
Tristan Newton......6-5/200..... PG......SR
Naheem Alleyne.....6-4/195......G......SR
Jordan Hawkins.....6-5/187.....SG.... SO
Andre Jackson ......6-6/210..... F/G....JR
Samson Johnson....6-10/205....F......SO
Adama Sanogo.......6-9/245.......C.....JR

BENCH
Alleyne/Hawkins- whichever doesn't start
Alex Karaban...........6-8/210..... .F.........FR
Richie Springs..........6-9/230.......F......RS JR
Donovan Clingan....7-2/250........C......FR
Hassan Diarra .........6-2/196 G JR

Good to hear on the inside stuff too. I would have Andre just play one on one..... alot. That's where you learn to be a scorer, not dunking the ball. Post ups, off the dribble moves, etc., but vs. a defender... winner take all style !

Follow up and video, but obviously the Courant writer has no clue how to spell jump shot (above) or what it's supposed to look like, ( or who ever's working with AJ......SMH ! ) The ball should never be brought down to your waist. It's a catch at chest/shoulder level and learn to release it in rhythm over your head. Unbelievable ! And forget about being able to take a jumper off the bounce which is all about the next level.....that is if he ever wants to play there. But I guess if he's only taking wide open 3's.....but damn don't try that junk in the pro's and it'll get knocked into the rafters!

Last edited:
I think sometimes we can get caught up too much in form over substance. Rashad Anderson was one of the best 3 point shooters in UConn history and perhaps the most dangerous binge 3 point shooter UConn has ever had, but his form was by no means textbook. He kind of slingshotted the ball. Nobody would have ever taught the form he had. With AJ I am more concerned with the results. I would agree that his release point on the shot ideally should be higher, but if he is only shooting when open that isn't as much of a concern. And he should only be shooting when open. But his stats last year were not terrible. He shot 35% which takes him out of being a total non threat.

I am hoping as well he works on his handle and not playing quite as fast where he is a little out of control and uncorking wild passes. AJ seems like a smart kid and I have to believe he knows what areas he needs to work on. The athletic gifts he has cannot be taught and he just needs to smooth out some rough edges in his game.

I think sometimes we can get caught up too much in form over substance. Rashad Anderson was one of the best 3 point shooters in UConn history and perhaps the most dangerous binge 3 point shooter UConn has ever had, but his form was by no means textbook. He kind of slingshotted the ball. Nobody would have ever taught the form he had. With AJ I am more concerned with the results. I would agree that his release point on the shot ideally should be higher, but if he is only shooting when open that isn't as much of a concern. And he should only be shooting when open. But his stats last year were not terrible. He shot 35% which takes him out of being a total non threat.

I am hoping as well he works on his handle and not playing quite as fast where he is a little out of control and uncorking wild passes. AJ seems like a smart kid and I have to believe he knows what areas he needs to work on. The athletic gifts he has cannot be taught and he just needs to smooth out some rough edges in his game.
AJ has alot of gifts that Fish Fry never had like passing and athleticism to name a few, but his shooting form, rhythm and follow through, even off the dribble was like night and day. Compared to AJ's "shot put" who has a bad habit of bringing the ball down first and never really high pointing his shot, which Rashad had down to perfection.

Last edited:
“I had some great teams in Rhode Island that could come at with you with so many perimeter weapons, but what I didn’t have on those teams was dominant centers,” he said.“I feel like I’m going to have my best team next season.”......This team is one of the youngest in Dan Hurley’s four seasons with the Huskies. UConn has just two rising seniors, East Carolina transfer Tristen Newton and Virginia Tech transfer Nahiem Alleyne, both of whom have two years of eligibility left due to COVID-19. "

" Currently, Newton, Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo appear to be locked in as starters. The fifth spot could go in multiple ways depending on how the coaching staff wants to play. The most likely choice is 6-foot-4 guard Alleyn.....Another choice is Alex Karaban, The 6-8 forward...can play multiple positions...That leaves Samson Johnson, perhaps the most tantalizing talent out of the three choices...He’s the biggest boom-or-bust option out of the three candidates."

As UConn coach Dan Hurley prepares to unlock a new offensive system, here are five Husky storylines to watch as summer workouts begin

Last edited:
Team now at 11 scholly players, DH said he may bring in 1 more. As from the article above:
"Currently, Newton, Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo appear to be locked in as starters."

Starters-
Tristan Newton.......6-5/200....PG.....SR
Jordan Hawkins......6-5/190......SG.....SO
Andre Jackson .......6-6/210.....F/G....JR
Adama Sanogo........6-9/245......C......JR

plus one of-
Naheem Alleyne......6-4/195......SG......SR
Samson Johnson.....6-10/215....F.........SO
Alex Karaban............6-8/210.......F........FR

BENCH-
Hassan Diarra ..........6-2/190......CG.....JR
Joey Calcaterra........6-3/180......SG.....GR
Donovan Clingan......7-2/265......C.......FR
Richie Springs...........6-9/230......F.......RS JR

Last edited:
Team now at 11 scholly players, DH said he may bring in 1 more. As from the article above:
PS- I should note that Dan Hurley has also added a preferred walk-on from Raphael Chillious's South Kent program-

Andre Johnson Jr.....CG...6-4/175.....Bristol, CT

Last edited:
Samson Johnson's main problem last year that I saw and which prevented him from being used more than he was, was that his low post defense was no good. In particular the game at Villanova was not competitive and it was because Villanova was pumping the ball inside to their center who had a field day with very basic low post moves. In that game and a few others, Johnson played bad low post defense and was fouling. He was susceptible to shot fakes and the Villanova guys used shot and pump fakes to make him look like a paratrooper. He needs to stay on his feet and play better positional defense. They need to bring in Clyde Vaughn to work with him on this. Hire him as a special consultant on big men.

Last edited:
Here is an article on the UConn men, midsummer look at the team, but it's "Premium Content" which is locked, maybe someone can unlock it?
What's intersting is that all the NHR articles that have been posted over the years on this or TOS, I click and they are never locked. I've never signed up for any account, subscription etc. to the Courant , NHR , etc. ... My only guess is that maybe because I'm outside of NH / Fairfield, in Hartford county, I'm not locked out.... Because the Courant articles I'm usually locked out, unless I clear my cookies in my browser, I might get one article for "free". In any event there's a "Free link" in the OP from TOS -

So Borges goes 1. Creighton, 2.Xavier, 3 Uconn as his top 3 with Nova dropping to 4 and PC dropping to #7 with only one starter back and a bunch of transfers.

Last edited:
UConn has a very good team on paper, but so does Creighton. It's going to be the usual wait and see how health and chemistry shake out with new players being added in different roles. The league as a whole looks pretty good to me 1-11. No games will be easy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT