ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. Boston U.

UConn seriously lacks a zone busting 3 ball guy like Giffey or Rashad Anderson. Back in the 1990s they had a guy Brian Fair who was a good 3 point shooter although wasn’t very versatile. Vital is a better player than Fair was but might not be that zonebusting guy who can make 4-5 in a row and sink a zone defense. If this team had such a player they would be much better.

I was thinking that of the three transfers, only Vance would see time this year. And probably limited to a zone buster. He wouldn't play over Larrier and I think Polley has a more well rounded game.
Vance would easily be the best shooter on the team, none of the current bigs drew interest from louisville. JD is probably more talented than all of them. Lol, pass the dutchie

May as well throw MAL in the discussion because if he came Anderson would get 6 minutes a game

Enoch played the worst defense I have ever seen played by a big who otherwise was pretty athletic and had no excuse for being a weak defender. More to the point, he frequently was out of position and didn’t know where he was supposed to be and the result was fouls when he had to rush to open spots. The basketball court seemed like a huge mystery to him. I concluded his basketball IQ was close to a zero. He got a little better as a soph but when you are close to zero no place to go but up.

Durham was skilled but didn’t impact games in any way. I think he lacked strength and possibly toughness. He played soft, more than you expect from a frosh big.

JD should have redshirted but beside the point, saying he wouldn't have played significant minutes this year is pure speculation over his physical development.

Enoch not developing in the system was a failure of coaching. Steve thought so and so did Rick Pitino. We all talked about bigs being iced out of games last year. This team hasn't put up points in 2 years and we blame the players. Weird.

Vital is a great spark off the bench. I just wonder if he would be a better fit in the starting lineup than Alterique. It is way too early in the season to tell but once we play better teams it will be interesting to see if Jalen and Alterique can co-exist being similar positions. Like mentioned in previous posts, giving Jalen a breather and having Alterique could benefit us in the long run but the chemistry of this team needs to develop.

Jalen and Alterique can coexist, they just need to play better. Jalen has looked a little lethargic/lacking in energy and Alterique has been very erratic with his shot and his drives. Hitting a few threes last game was nice, especially after he hoisted 3 air balls in the first game. But Al's finishing has been horrible, and when you are quick and penetrate and can get to the rim and then can't finish it's a problem, especially when his shot is not warranting that much respect. He also needs to do a better job of getting the ball up on the rim so that the offensive rebounders have a shot at tip-ins. If those two play better and smarter, then things will open up for everyone else.

Truth is Anderson and Vital were more productive than Jalen and Alterique, but it's good to know that there is legit 4 guard depth.

We've scored 113 points in our last two national championship games. The other teams scored 95.

Wins matter. Go watch the 30 for 30 on Loyola Marymount.

Vital is a great spark off the bench. I just wonder if he would be a better fit in the starting lineup than Alterique. It is way too early in the season to tell but once we play better teams it will be interesting to see if Jalen and Alterique can co-exist being similar positions. Like mentioned in previous posts, giving Jalen a breather and having Alterique could benefit us in the long run but the chemistry of this team needs to develop.

I like Vital coming off the bench. Talent wise Jalen and Alterique are at a much higher level than Vital. Those two are playmakers.

Vital brings experience, grit, good defense, and the 3 ball, however he is not necessarily a playmaker for others, and heavily relies on shooting the 3 for his offensive game.

I think Jalen and Alterique will develop into a premiere backcourt by the end of the season. They just need more time.

I also think Anderson is a very sold guard. Very consistent on the offense, plays smart, and is the second best defender on the team after Alterique (amongst the guards).

Great moment K99, but my favorites were the last game of the '99, '04, '11 and '14 seasons. ;)

I would take the talent level of Jackson and Durham in year two over starting over with Polly and gang.

Jackson could have been an all timer with us.

FWIW- Vance 's team next year started 0-2 losing to the mighty Tennessee State and new Mexico State before pulling it together to beat Nebraska.....wait I meant Omaha and Northern New Mexico.

#2 Arizona and the UCONN failure recruit Alonzo Trier (27points) were upset by NC State

Trier would be nice in a UCONN uni...............Waters at LSU is a stud that would be nice here........Malik at Prov.......the list is SOOOOO long of successful recruits UCONN supposedly had a shot with. Gilbert is nice but nothing close to Waters....seems like the recruits we lose on are studs and the ones we get are lesser than the star rating they got.......

I know that doesnt apply to everyone we have or have had come here in the past but just tired of seeing highlights of kids we MIGHT have had a shot with and Im not talking about the UK kids that list us, Im talking about Trier, Waters, Malik, etc.... Jalen is good but doesnt even make a top 80 list of why to watch the tournament in Portland?

I'm debbie downer right now sorry.....just sad to see our once great program in a funk. I want to be wrong so bad but I just dont see this getting turned around.......calhoun was possibly just the reason this all worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT