ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova 12/28 @ XL Center, 6:30 pm FS1

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Don't look but Villanova has won 5 in a row after a 2-5 start, including impressive beat downs of BC and St. John's. This team is better than the Georgetown team UConn just beat, although I looked at their stats and they are not shooting 3s as well as they have in past years- around 34%. They are shooting FTs at a blistering 82% as a team, which is phenomenal. Their team playing better has coincided with the return from injury of freshman phenom Cam Whitmore, Big East preseason freshman of the year, who has provided both scoring and rebounding off the bench. 247 has Whitmore ranked as the #13 recruit in his class and the #4 ranked small forward. Whitmore had 19 points and 7 boards off the bench in the win over BC, and 8 points and 10 boards last night in the win over SJU. He has provided high quality 6th man production.

However, Justin Moore, who is the likely best player on this team, is still out and will not return until January, which is a serious break for the Huskies.

This will be another stiff test for the Huskies.

Last edited:
Nova by the numbers-

Click Image:
4-Villanova-Stats-7-5.jpg

I was looking at some NBA Mock Drafts and one I looked at had Cam Whitmore going #6 overall and another had him going #7. The same mocks I looked at had Jordan Hawkins going #23 overall and Sanogo, #49 in the 2nd round to Portland. Zach Edey is not even on the board. The scouts don't like him for some reason (presumably that back to the basket traditional centers are no longer in fashion). Despite 23 points and 14 rebounds per game averages (latter is leading the NCAA).

In any event, the fact that Whitmore is projected to be 6/7 overall indicates he is a pro playing in college. The only NCAA player ranked higher than Whitmore in the mock drafts is Nick Smith of Arkansas, whom I believe is currently on the shelf with an injury.

Last edited:
I kind of think Samson will be needed more against Xavier than Villanova. Hopefully he will be ready for the Noon game on New Year's Eve.

Line which started at -14.5 is down to -12. I expect further movement down today. It feels like it should be between -8 and -10.

Didn’t win by 10+, feels like a loss. 😊 I sound like my spoiled kids on Christmas morning.

Best move by DH was pressuring Nova full court from the start of the game. Seemed to wear them down with a very un-Nova like game and them having trouble taking care of the ball with 18 TO's/ giving up 12 steals....regarding the offense Andre can't be taking 11 shots per game, (alot of clunkers... made 3 ) it hurts the team. Stick to rebounding, passing and D.

Last edited:
Andre played an undisciplined game last night. Too many shots and a technical foul, totally unnecessary, for trash talking to Kyle Neptune after a made 3. It's not like he is Larry Bird shooting 3s who was permitted to trash talk after making them. However he did have an amazing blocked shot on Cam Whitmore when he drove it to the hole. That play almost made up for the reversion in his offensive game. Overall UConn survived a poor shooting game (39%) in which they were also outrebounded and still won by 8. Good teams are supposed to do this, but they need to play better to win at Xavier Saturday.

Last edited:
Andre played an undisciplined game last night. Too many shots and a technical foul, totally unnecessary, for trash talking to Kyle Neptune after a made 3.
Yep and from DH's post game, AJ fell for exactly what Nova wanted him to do. Take alot of shots because they know he can't shoot. DH said they played him soft and kept yelling "non shooter" and stuff like that when he had the ball. So when he made one he started yapping to the bench again ( did the same thing vs. G-town and got t-'ed up).

The 3 he made in crunch time, probably gives him a pass, but he's got to play smarter for the team to be at it's best. I still can't understand how he never learned how to drive or back a defender down, gather himself and go up strong with all years he's played hoops and his jumping ability and lift. That off balance shot put/floater stuff he throws up is a joke.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT