ADVERTISEMENT

Diaco Press Conference: 11/3 - Tulane Week

Bodies are sore, it's week 10. Not counting camp and the time leading up to that. 10 in a row, so everybody's feeling that a little bit.

Another really good conversation for Monday is here's everything that went well, we're all excited, but here's some ways it could have been better.

On the road, and battle through that adversity. Great challenge this week, a lot of athletes, playmakers on the field that need systematic care.

November becomes a separator, just based on lifestyle. The student-athletes that might not have stepped on the gas pedal as students, in strength & conditioning or nutrition, that starts to show now.

90-yard play: It's a gamebreaker, game-changer, it's more than just a touchdown. It's an explosive play that creates great energy with the team and in the stadium with the fans.

On the other side, you're crushed.

Reactions: UconNell
Offensie improvement: Bryant did a better job of keeping his eyes downfield and finding open receivers. Although accuracy wasn't great, that needs to improve, at least the ball is going downfield.

When he took off with his legs he wasn't taking may shots.

Offensive tackles took a step forward.

Another week of being impressed with both tight ends. Tommy and Alec continue to show improvement. Really block well at point of attack. Huge factor in the game. Getting a second block outside of their realm of responsibility.

New fullback (Trey Rutherford - normally an o-lineman) graded out well...We don't plan on handing him the ball. I like that position right now. We've got some good young players.

We had Garrett Anderson (played FB, normally a QB) back there too, and that's not a gimmick. I'm happy with the development right now. He has an aptitude for blocking.

Last edited:
Tulane Defense: Whether they're the most imposing four down that we've seen yet is debated. Missouri had a very strong d-line, BYU's defensive line, but this Tulane front is as good or anyone we've played up until this point. It will be a huge challenge for our offensive-line and tight ends.

The interior 1 technique and 3 technique are absolutely dynamic players.

UConn secondary: Awareness and development. We're not a big man (defense) outfit. It's much easier to be an interceptor in zone coverages. The players are more physically mature and more mentally mature as it relates to football intelligence. They are putting themselves in position.

Last edited:
Show this, invite this throw, they think the middle of the field is open, then they close it.

Pressure has gone up as well: If the QB is under duress, that's a huge help. Every QB is a little different with the victimizing plays when they are under duress. Sometimes when they can move, they can break a run.

Rushers have put pressure on but also contained the run.

If Tulane offense changed with Joseph compared to Lee: A bit, more passing.

Tanner is that next level of passer. Joseph I think they're willing to run with it a bit more.

Are last-second plays a teachable thing: Yeah, you can always point towards something and say, here's an example of this play. it's the same thing that victimized this team at this time. You can always point towards those things.

Conflict on Notre Dame vs. Temple: I'm all about the American Conference, and we're all family. We're competing against each other but we're part of our own bigger family. The teams that represent the conference. Coach Matt Rhule is a fantastic guy we actually exchange notes from time to time.

I also love the people in the Notre Dame program. They are my friends, they are my brothers. I have known several of them for the better part of my life.

So you're definitely torn watching the game. You're really just rooting for people to do well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT