ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned about Rim Protection Next Year

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
There is a long line of rim protectors- Voskuhl, Okafor, Thabeet, Oriakhi/Okwandu and Brimah. Although Brimah has not developed as hoped he is a very good rim protector. Facey is also a good shot blocker.

Who protects the rim next year? Steve Enoch can't stay on the floor for more than 5 minutes without picking up 2 fouls and I don't know that Carlton has much of a reputation in this regard either. Durham looks like he needs to face the basket and also gain a lot of weight.

What is the plan for protecting the rim starting next year?????

Enoch has actually blocked shots but he just is so unaware and obviously is always in foul trouble.

Durham needs to get stronger but he has shot blocking instincts. He could be a nice help side shot blocker.

Gotta hope whoever replaces Brimah can be a little bit more potent offensively to help soften the blow of losing him on D.

Enoch is blocking shots at about half the rate as Brimah per minute, and roughly at the same rate as Facey per minute. Brimah with 46 and Facey with 20 represent 66 of UConn's 88 blocked shots, and those 66 of 88 will graduate. Durham's block per minute rate is slightly better than Enoch's.

The rim has to be protected. It's a fundamental tenet of UConn basketball. Do you guys remember the games Brimah lost to injury last year, when Tulane and other teams assaulted the rim, Tulane even fouling out Facey at the 5 in 9 minutes of action? I think Steve could easily break that record, although I think Okwandu did foul out one game in 8 minutes of action. We could see those kinds of games from Steve so just be ready for it.

Last edited:
Enoch is blocking shots at about half the rate as Brimah per minute, and roughly at the same rate as Facey per minute. Brimah with 46 and Facey with 20 represent 66 of UConn's 88 blocked shots, and those 66 of 88 will graduate. Durham's block per minute rate is slightly better than Enoch's.

The rim has to be protected. It's a fundamental tenet of UConn basketball. Do you guys remember the games Brimah lost to injury last year, when Tulane and other teams assaulted the rim, Tulane even fouling out Facey at the 5 in 9 minutes of action? I think Steve could easily break that record, although I think Okwandu did foul out one game in 8 minutes of action. We could see those kinds of games from Steve so just be ready for it.
We prob are going to add another big I would assume by transfer. Also I could see Diarra playing some C in a pinch. He's short but strong and has a wingspan of over 7 ft

Also with Purvis graduating and Gilbert returning you can bet we get way more steals. Gilbert was getting a ton before he went down, Vital gets a good amount, and Adams is solid in that respect too. Larrier will also pickpocket a lot of 4s I would think.

There is a long line of rim protectors- Voskuhl, Okafor, Thabeet, Oriakhi/Okwandu and Brimah. Although Brimah has not developed as hoped he is a very good rim protector. Facey is also a good shot blocker.

Who protects the rim next year? Steve Enoch can't stay on the floor for more than 5 minutes without picking up 2 fouls and I don't know that Carlton has much of a reputation in this regard either. Durham looks like he needs to face the basket and also gain a lot of weight.

What is the plan for protecting the rim starting next year?????

Good question.

Enoch is a really big guy. I have attended most home games this year and in person it becomes very clear how much bigger (muscular wise) than the other bigs. He is a legit 6'11 big boy. I think he has improved this year, albeit only slightly. He has shown flashes of having immense talent with his baby hook shots. He is much more coordinated than Brimah so it shows that he is coordinated enough to block shots. I think he will be the main anchor on defense next year.

Durham and Larrier will also help in the rim protection category. Both are tall and athletic. TL will be able to block opposing shooting guards and small forwards and occasionally help protect the paint as well.

Durham, while very skinny, has a frame that will fill out. He is athletic and very coordinated for a big guy. He will help protect the paint as well.

Rim protection is a very big issue going into next year... we need an impact big whether it be a frosh or 5 th year or Juco

Enoch is good at taking charges down low and seems to be better at rebounding but that's it from a defensive standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT