ADVERTISEMENT

AAC tourney tweets

It's conceivable UConn could win 2 games but then have to beat Cincy in the semis. 2-1 doesn't do it. They need 4 straight. It looks like NCAA tourney or nothing, no NIT bid, as they cannot attain a winning record without winning the tournament.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Let's get this one first and then hopefully beat Houston then as you said most likely Cincy and by then with a little MO... anything can happen basically at home. Just stay healthy and active and let's see....

Reactions: UconNell
And for the understatement of the year by our fearless leader, gee ya think ? A three point game with under 2 minutes to go vs. a team that you already beat by 46 and 21 points this year....get up from your seat and show a little intensity & urgency on the sidelines.....you got this team going backwards KO !!!

Well, at least he isn't trying to put lipstick on a pig. I was very disappointed with the way UConn played last night. There is no consistency or cohesiveness to their offense. The bigs are not effective offensively at all, and the outside shooting is also erratic. If Purvis didn't have a few hot stretches last night UConn loses that game.

UConn did manage to score 77 points, so I can't get too worked up about the offense (and they knocked down their free throws like it was 2014). The defense, on the other hand.... There was a stretch in the second half where it seemed like USF scored 20 points in a short span on essentially the same play, because UConn couldn't figure out how to switch on a pick.

UConn's offensive numbers were not good, 40% FGs, 9 assists and I think 18 TOs. Jalen Adams was clearly off and he played no defense at all, not that he has played much defense this entire season. As far as pick and roll defense guys were just not where they were supposed to be or covering spots- it shouldn't happen.

Gotta give Rodney alot of credit this game ( probably one of his best shooting games in his career, even though he still had a few WTF moments) and on hitting his FT's (+ the team overall ^^^) ....the scary part was when the lead was dwindling away they kept trying to force it in to Facey (0-6, 4 TO's ) and Brimah ( who was terrible about 3-4 trips in a row, even threw up a 5 ft airball) as though they were solid offensive options......who told the guards to keep doing that ? ..This team can look so lost on offense, then you add in the constant breakdowns on D and you wonder why they give up 10-15 point swings like they're handing out flyers on a street corner.

Like KO said they do this again... it's game, set and match ! Because no one in this conference is as bad as USF (1-18) who Uconn did everything they could to make them look good.

Last edited:
Facey and Brimah were awful.......both of them are TO prone when they get the ball, neither one is smooth or can finish anything except in Brimah's case he can catch lob passes but anything else forget about it and forget any kind of finishing from either one.

Unfortunately USF like tonight's opponent Houston is weak inside and that is where other teams attack them. But UConn cannot even pound these weaker teams inside. Teams have seen enough of the Brimah and Facey inside play to know that the defense should be played to invite the low post entry pass and then play straight up physical D once the entry pass is made. If such a stategy is deployed you will just see a bunch of missed chippies and eventually if the two are boxed out there will be a D-board and another empty offensive possession for UConn.

The play where Amida had a full 2 steps to complete a 2 handed dunk & Bibby managed to foil it by grabbing Amida on the arm. Kinda summed up his problems. Can't teach toughness, can't teach aggression.

Facey lately has looked like....well... Facey. 2 points and 3 rebounds ain't gonna get 'er done.

Wow what a beating UCF laid on Memphis I can't believe UConn swept UCF. I really wish UConn had Tacko Fall, that is the rim protection we need.

ECU put up a good fight against SMU, that team has improved!

Wow what a beating UCF laid on Memphis I can't believe UConn swept UCF. I really wish UConn had Tacko Fall, that is the rim protection we need.ECU put up a good fight against SMU, that team has improved!
I went to the afternoon session, going tonight.....UCF looked better once Fall went out with 2 fouls in the first half...they were moving the ball around great as a team and went on a huge run to take a big lead, hitting daggers all over the court. Same thing in 2nd ......Fall had a little more effect in the 2nd, but UCF, rebounded with purpose and played under control once they grabbed the ball. Every time Memphis made any kind of run... UCF stayed focused & played like a well coached team, worked it for good looks and were hitting a good %.....Didn't look like the same team Uconn beat twice.

My recollection is that Fall had foul trouble in the second game between UCF and UConn, but when he was in the game I noticed he has an enormous wingspan and his presence obstructs the interior shooting and driving lanes- he was AAC Defensive Player of the Year for this reason and because UCF led the nation in defensive FG% most of the year.

Blades, good point about Rodney. He won that game last night, even if it was against a dreadful team.

I've killed him for the better part of three years, so I have to tip my cap when he plays well. I guess that's what's so frustrating about him, he looks like a star one minute and then a walk on, in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: the Blades
Rodney had very good energy and aggression last night. You can live with some of his mental mistakes when he plays like that. I should note however that he took (and made) an awful 3 at the end of the game, running no clock, making a one on one move and hoisting from at least 27 feet. When it goes in all is forgiven, but truthfully it was a mindless play. I forgive him somewhat because it was obvious Jalen was playing hurt and Rodney knew he had to step it up and he did step it up, so I salute him on one of his better games at UConn.

I watched that first half and I think Tulsa sucks coyote balls. They are a small team, and UConn should not have lost to them down there and would not have if the bigs had been functional that game.

Cincy was up 15 at half without breaking a sweat. They should be up by 25.

Looks like a concussion to Rod. That play Sums up his career here.

Houston should make the tourney. Solid club with an excellent coach.

But the conference gets no respect. Hopefully SMU or Cincy makes a deep tourney run.

Rodney has never played so hard. Nice to see urgency with his career on the line. Need some more of that from Facey.

Jackson has to get more touches in the second half. He went a few minutes hitting a 3, a nasty dunk on the baseline and an Olajuwon dream shake from 17 fading away and then never saw it again,

Rogaine not allowed to climb over blue jerseys tonight without a foul.

That's my coach and squad!! Keep believing. Obviously will be tough tomorrow... effort and energy will be there, but mentally they have to stay in it all 40 minutes.

Win lose or draw I'm proud of these young pups plus a Purv now.

Waiting for Facey and Amida and Steve to show up and be more consistent. Without them we don't win tomorrow

Also Durham will need to be ready for some spot duty tomorrow....

Last edited:
Reactions: andersonfro
Gotta give credit where it's due - Rodney has brought his A-game to this tournament. He's actually been taking it to the rim and finishing. I think this is the guy we waited three years to see. I want to see more of this Rodney Purvis. Let's hope it's not too little too late.

im free to go to the game today but I gave my tix away I'm going to watch from the same spot I watched last night go Dogs!

Reactions: CaNOLEE
If UConn wins today, does anyone know if single game tickets are available for the championship game tomorrow? Or is Aresco and the AAC going to make me buy a package for all 4 games so that I would have to pay for games that have already been played and which I have already watched?

I think the fact that our best player, who has been injured, looked like our best player last night gives me a sliver of hope that I didn't have last weekend.

That and it's March and we are the Huskies.

Reactions: the Blades
Let also hope that Facey, who has been on a milk carton for a few games, is energized by his late game hoop in the lane at crunch time, his block that the announcer attributed to Brimah(who was on the bench) and a couple of manly rebounds when the game was on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT