ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Mamodou Diarra (Washington decommit)

Well so much for Chillious having a great rapport with this kid....as I already mentioned in 2 other threads..... this kid was a waste of time and 2 pages of bandwidth...you think our super recruiters up in Storrs couldn't have figured this out before they took him to the prom:

What are they about 0 for 5 on bigs this spring ?

Recruiting seems like a huge mess right now. I can't believe UConn will go into a season with not a single big with any experience and nobody who looks like they should be starting. If you can't sell even a decent starting caliber body on PT at the 4 and 5 then UConn is in big trouble.

Reactions: the Blades
I hear you KSTW,.......KO can't sell marginal recruits on coming to Uconn, for a starting job no less....4 NC's and all....in the mean time Randy Edsall is picking
up FB players, one that played good minutes at the U of Miami and just beat out Michigan for a 2018 recruit, it's like it's an alternate universe going on up in Storrs.

Reactions: UconNell
Kevin is really counting on Jalen to save his job. I guess if I were Kevin I'd be happy Jalen was my man at this point.

Need to teach what's-his-name from juco to play d & set screens, also how to conserve energy and avoid fouls while protecting the rim. Drop about 47lbs and learn some hops. Should be no problem for our new s&c from Harvard. The only problem I can see is trying to teach him how to set 2 screens at once but..that's why kev gets the big bucks I guess.

Reactions: the Blades
Carlton and Cobb have no experience at this level and they will rack up fouls quick. Cobb had 6 blocks for an entire season of JUCO ball and is by no means a rim protector. The rim is going to be assaulted like nobody has ever seen if this is the team UConn goes with. Even before Enoch and Durham left I was worried about rim protection. Now we are in crisis/danger mode and there is a rim storm weather advisory being issued to all UConn season ticket holders.

Khalid, our perimeter players have to do a better job keeping players in front of them.

I'm more concerned with rebounding.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Soooo... who does UConn suit up next year? I never thought this guy was going to be a savior, but at least he was a warm body with offers from high majors, and UConn had the inside track due to his connections with Chillious. What's the plan now? Just to keep score, UConn has nine scholarship players (out of thirteen). Three of them are coming off injuries (two serious, and one mysterious pre-existing condition which may or may not have been resolved). There are two incoming project freshman. There's one JuCo transfer who has proven nothing and initially appeared to be a deep bench player, and a grad transfer who would be a fifth guard on a normal UConn team. In short, there are two proven returning players - both of whom are guards. Any thought of there being some grand plan to get UConn back on track is in the rear view mirror, but most sane people realize that UConn can't afford to have another wasted year like the one they just had. UConn can contact all the 2018 five star recruits they want, but they're just wasting their time if things don't improve rapidly for this program, and that's not going to happen unless they get immediate help for 2017. Anyone thinking this program isn't in dire straits right now is in severe denial.

Soooo... who does UConn suit up next year? I never thought this guy was going to be a savior, but at least he was a warm body with offers from high majors, and UConn had the inside track due to his connections with Chillious. What's the plan now? Just to keep score, UConn has nine scholarship players (out of thirteen). Three of them are coming off injuries (two serious, and one mysterious pre-existing condition which may or may not have been resolved). There are two incoming project freshman. There's one JuCo transfer who has proven nothing and initially appeared to be a deep bench player, and a grad transfer who would be a fifth guard on a normal UConn team. In short, there are two proven returning players - both of whom are guards. Any thought of there being some grand plan to get UConn back on track is in the rear view mirror, but most sane people realize that UConn can't afford to have another wasted year like the one they just had. UConn can contact all the 2018 five star recruits they want, but they're just wasting their time if things don't improve rapidly for this program, and that's not going to happen unless they get immediate help for 2017. Anyone thinking this program isn't in dire straits right now is in severe denial.

I have to agree, I do not like the roster right now. These so called ace recruiters need to do some ace recruiting NOW or forget about 2018 and don't bother even putting up threads on 2018 top recruits because it is just a fantasy.

Agree with both you guys...I've said it before... the only one who seems to have been sold anything so far is KO, by a guy looking for a job....who didn't make the NCAA's in 5 years at Washington, with all that talent he was supposed to bring in .... screw 2018 recruits they go watch......... what about 2017 ?

Last edited:
While I'm venting, I would like to bring up one more point: after all the departures, several of the players alluded to the fact that Glenn Miller's firing played a large role in their decision. Some people disagreed with this, and there certainly could be some bending of the truth in the players statements. However, while the impact of Miller's departure may be up for debate, I can pinpoint with absolute certainty the amount of talent brought in by his successor: zero. That includes the Washington decommits with whom Chillious was supposed to have developed such great rapport. The next talented player he brings to the team will be his first, and so far he's operating in the red - by a large margin.

I Knew how serious this was the second he fired Travis. That's the one that revealed character, Glen is the one that revealed stupidity and began the slide.

Kevin has 2017-2018 to make the tournament. End of story and good fkn riddance

We don't know if Benedict didn't insist on these changes. This is what happened at Texas with Barnes and the Texas AD. However if so, Ollie could have refused to fire staff, as Barnes did, and then got fired. And then the AD was later fired himself. So if Benedict is behind this Ollie could have said no but all reports indicate Ollie made the changes on his own. Chillious has not done anything so far and I agree that the way this past season has gone, Ollie has one year to turn it around, and the way things look right now I don't see it happening.

I take what I'm given without speculation.

KO says these were his decisions, then as far as I'm concerned he owns them. Bigs say KO can't develop them in his system I believe that's what they believe. MAL says Glen getting fired led to him doing a re-eval then that's how I'm scoring it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT