ADVERTISEMENT

Win Out

It will be really tough, even 3-1 would be really impressive to end the season.

Last edited:
I'd love to split with Cinn/SMU at home for confidence heading into the tourney.

Then go on a streak. Win one game in the NCAA tourney and make it interesting on that first weekend for a high seed.

Build some momentum for next season, as long as Jalen doesn't get silly and put his name in the draft.

I saw the Houston-SMU game Saturday played before a sellout crowd in Houston. Houston took a 13 point lead midway through the first half, but SMU came back and eventually won by 10. Houston is getting all its scoring from its guards, Gray, Dotson and Robinson, and they are a bit weak inside. Ojeleye killed them and he looked like a pro player in that game. SMU beat Houston on the boards and my feeling is UConn could beat Houston if the UConn bigs step up and play a little better. Neither Brimah nor Facey were great in the Temple game offensively and they need to assert themselves and score on O boards and junk. And UConn of course will need to defend the perimeter.

3 very tough match-ups going forward.. and can't judge the first Houston game at the XL because Jalen was out with the concussion protocol. Uconn was out of the game before the first half ended ( without JA they were lost on offense... 12 pts ? ). Looking forward Uconn will be probably be underdogs vs. Houston ( opened as -7.5 points down to 6.5), SMU and Cincy..... Uconn needs to play smart & tough because the last 2 especially ( SMU & CIN) don't beat themselves with mistakes, like the helping hand they got from Memphis and Temple. Also they can't sleep vs. ECU as they've won 3 of their last 4 at home beating both Tulsa and Temple( by 14).... Anyway that's why they play the games. Forget about winning out...as Aman said above 3-1 would be more than impressive to me.

Last edited:
Hopefully tonight's game is a good and Brimah and Facey bring there A games... they will be the difference as long as everyone else Jalen included plays their normal roles.

It's been tough to win here in the past for healthier talented UConn teams. Hopefully we can continue to turn that around and ride last years win here and get another one.

Either way can't wait for the game tonight!!!

Sampson is a really good coach, beating him on the road won't be easy.

I think we have to at least split these last four.

Splitting 2 out of 4 does not get UConn an NCAA bid but would assure an NIT bid.

UConn needs to win AAC tourney regardless

Last edited:
Agree though, the tougher team won the game. Dotson, Rogaine and Vital were their MVPs.

It went the way it should have based on how the teams played but the officials are unbelievably frustrating. Sampson throws his tie np, KO gets demonstrative and gets t'd. Jalen hacked = no call, Gray pushes off for the inbound pass = no call.

You could see it right from the start, Houston attacked the rim, attacked the boards and never stopped even when they were down. With mental midgets like Brimah
who can't hold a rebound or a pass in traffic, while Sampson had his kids stealing his lunch money at their will... AB himself was good for about 10 pts of lost opportunities .....Well a 1-3 finish is probably reality now that teams with a pulse are back on the schedule.... SMU and Cincy are 2 more street brawls and if tonight showed anything it's that the make up of this team can't handle fights vs. smarter/ tougher teams.....PS ....nice shot by Jalen @ the buzzer to cover the spread.

Refs were bad but we lost cause there was a lid on our basket for most of the second half. FTs layups makes it shots. It was frustrating. Gave another game away :mad:

Sucks to see this type of second half. Ollie couldn't adjust and that was game over.

Bigs are just average at best and Brimah, bless his great soul, just has NO hands and NO feel for the game except oops.

Enoch shows flashes, far better offense than Brimah has ever shown. Facey has the frame and athleticism but you can tell he has ZERO coaching as he looks clueless in the block most times.

Adams is great, Jackson will be a very good player for us, Vital is WAY TOO arrogant for his talent but gotta love the effort I guess, Purvis is a defensive midget but I LOVE his attitude......lots to like heading into next year. I worry about Larrier, he seemed like a selfish player.

Very disappointing to the see the game end like that. We had complete control in the first half and once Houston went to a zone, we looked lost and had no idea how to score. Down the stretch, the rebounding ultimately killed us and Houston kept getting second opportunities and we could not capitalize. I know a ten point lead going into halftime is not that large in college basketball now-a-days, but how efficiently we were scoring and making plays throughout the first half we had no business of losing that game. It was an important game to be in sole possession of third place in the conference, but it comes down to us putting on a show in Hartford for the AAC tournament. Hopefully the guys can respond coming back to the XL center against SMU which will be even a tougher game to win. We need to end the season on a bright note and hopefully keep it rolling into the postseason.

The entire UConn team looked very tired in the second half, and a few times there were 4 on 5s with Jalen Adams out of the offense with hands on hips, sucking wind. UConn responded to the rim attacks with tired looking defense. Houston was just too much.

Reactions: andersonfro
Kind of tough to blame talent, ability, heart, hands, coaching strategy, defense when these guys were so clearly exhausted. It seemed like they lost every 50/50 ball, say what you want but that's not a character trait of the team we've been watching & it's got nothing to do with ability or adjustments.

The entire UConn team looked very tired in the second half, and a few times there were 4 on 5s with Jalen Adams out of the offense with hands on hips, sucking wind. UConn responded to the rim attacks with tired looking defense. Houston was just too much.
^This^.....like I said above this was more about Sampson/Houston and less about Uconn. The Uconn shooting in the first half masked Houston's aggressiveness & they got some easy transition points to push back & help their cause. But like I said above.... anyone with a pulse....who can grind out possessions( only 5 TO's by Hou), steal the ball off the boards for second chance points vs. Uconn's weak rebounding...... can easily go on 20 point swings, as they wait for the Huskies to self destruct with poor shot selection, repeated clumsiness inside from guys like Brimah (who should never be delivered a pass unless it's a lob).....and prayers from outside.

But these big swings are nothing new..... it's been going on vs. KO's teams for 2-3 years now since his 20-15 team. So I think Uconn played tired but that's due to Houston and the way the Huskies always respond to teams who don't fold like they do. And @ this point of the season the injuries/ tired stuff needs to stop. If they play the game right ( smarter/ tougher) they'll make it easier on their selves. Look at a team like SMU, they lost their only true 5 who transferred, they have 5 guys who play about 30-35 minutes a game and they only play 6 or 7 guys on a good night, are they tired at 24-4 ? Saturday would be a good time for Uconn to show us that they can man-up and not fold when they get punched in the mouth.

Last edited:
Just couldn't make easy shots and FTs... At the other end where Houston struggled to score on in the first half.

You are not that tired first few minutes after halftime.... couldn't BUY a basket... a couple go in and we still win. Simple as that!!

Was frustrating to watch brick after brick right in front of you on makeable shots and layups. Smh

Just couldn't make easy shots and FTs... At the other end where Houston struggled to score on in the first half.
You are not that tired first few minutes after halftime.... couldn't BUY a basket... a couple go in and we still win. Simple as that!!
Was frustrating to watch brick after brick right in front of you on makeable shots and layups. Smh

What's up with these guys Oz, it seems like they never give you much love down in H-town, what are they like 1-3 ?

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Blades my man. I tell ya I don't get it! This is the most animated and pissed off I seen KO on the sideline during his tenure in the two games here. One with Bazz the year we won it all and last night. Yelling screaming at refs, players for messing up throwing clipboards. The locker room was not a fun place obviously after either.
Plenty of love and support down here by alumni and family and stuff idk why. Maybe it's the old decrepit hofheinz pavilion environment which they are done playing in btw this year. They have a nice arena next door for next year.
I dont get how you just can't make A couple shots and a layup. We had like 4 points for 10 minutes of that second half and it wasn't like we were turning it over each possession either. I was screaming. I don't know if you can hear it, but I was screaming at Enoch because he wasn't getting back in the game for offense defensive substitutions when Noyes was in and out. Like my point is where is your head at.... my wife was mad like why they not making anything. Is it the refs lol. I said no babe they are just missing and reverting back to bad habits when they get back and play defense and then get mad at refs for questionable calls.

But give them credit with Good D by Vance in Dotsons face he still made a few shots to get them back in it.

Reactions: the Blades
It was a very disappointing loss and I do not understand the visible fatigue, the tired defense, Jalen with his hands on his hips not getting up court, panting like the the fat kid in gym class. Like Blades said SMU is playing with 7 guys and they are sucking it up, why can't UConn do the same? Is it the humidity of Houston that is causing the fatigue?

Reactions: andersonfro
No excuse for that. I didn't notice the fatigue as anything other than usual stuff especially with Jalen. I mean he and CV among others were slam dunk contest jamming the rim during warmups and half time. They just get into that sulky behavior led a lot of times by Rodney and Jalen which I can't stand with him. He knows it. This then carries over to the Ole defense on the other end at times. It's one thing being a leader but that doesn't mean just when things are going well for just you but at all times on and off the court!

But they are learning.... As for Amida, KFace they try especially Amida on rebounding but lacks consistency. Hoping Enoch and Durham can be better in that regard and whatever 5th yr or juco we bring in at the 4-5 spot.

Jalen's attitude is a tough swallow but I think of Bazz at the same point in his career & I thought he was a lost cause so you gotta remain optimistic

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I am not crazy about all that I see with Jalen and I do understand he is playing a lot of minutes and not in the role that was envisioned for him at the beginning of the year. But he has had constant fatigue issues in second halves this year, and last night was the worst - the play where UConn was 4 on 5 with him bent over sucking wind well out of the play was an embarrassment. He also has some bad body language at times and yells at his teammates over their mistakes but when he makes some of the mistakes they make I don't see anyone yelling at him. I do think he wants to win badly and he shows signs of being able to grow into a star player but he is quite a ways off from that at this time. He isn't going anywhere. This summer he should work on his strength and conditioning, improve the consistency of his shot and take the ball a bit more strongly to the rim, not ducking contact as much. Next year if Gilbert is doing most of the handling and Jalen is playing off the ball, he could be a lot better. He is a work in progress. You do see a lot of good things from him.

Blades my man. I tell ya I don't get it! Maybe it's the old decrepit hofheinz pavilion environment which they are done playing in btw this year. They have a nice arena next door for next year.

I heard Houston will split games between the Toyota Center and TX Southern's arena next year then move to Fertitta's palace the year after, is that still the plan ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT