ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Bouknight?

victorio1234

Mar 7, 2010
Anyone out there with any info on James Bouknight? I just think there might be a personality clash with coaching staff? Or, can JB be an unsettling force in the locker room? Any info appreciated.

There is also this:
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like the coaches don't like his work ethic and taking plays off. That seems like a pretty clear line read.
If memory serves me correct, didn't Coach Hurly have similar comments he made about James taking plays off?

Looks like Covid protocol issues may force Borrego to play Bouknight as the Hornets are now really short on guard bodies with the 2 starting guards out:
This is the kind of break Bouknight needed to escape the doghouse. And as did Rashad Anderson 19 years ago, he needs to break down the door of that doghouse as he escapes it so they can't put him back in.

He only played because both starting guards are in Covid protocol. Same reason as why UConn played Diggins and Johnson as much as they did the other day.....when you are short on bodies you have to play the bodies you have. The only guard bodies the Hornets had in that game were Oubre, a shooting guard who started at point guard, and Bouk off the bench. They are down to 2 healthy guards- that's it, and neither one is a point guard. There is another guy Ish Smith who was playing ahead of Bouk and I think he is injured.

He only played because both starting guards are in Covid protocol. Same reason as why UConn played Diggins and Johnson as much as they did the other day.....when you are short on bodies you have to play the bodies you have. The only guard bodies the Hornets had in that game were Oubre, a shooting guard who started at point guard, and Bouk off the bench. They are down to 2 healthy guards- that's it, and neither one is a point guard. There is another guy Ish Smith who was playing ahead of Bouk and I think he is injured.
Really.... I also heard that water is wet...LOL!

The way to break out of a doghouse is to crash through the front door, knock it down, and come bounding out on all fours, and that is what Bouk seems to have done tonight with 24 points in 26 minutes off the bench, which included 6 of 8 on 3s. 6 boards and 0 TOs

Reactions: permit22
JB sighting.....read he'd been in the G-league, but I guess he' now back getting some PT for a bad Charlotte team. Kinda doubt that the Hornets pick up his year 3 & 4 options (@ the cost of $10.6M),
since they've used him so little.

It's a bad sign when 2 different coaches don't play you a lot. There had been rumors that he was in Borrego's doghouse but his PT didn't really improve much after Borrego was fired. He has until very recently been playing in the G-League, where I believe he had a 44 point game in February. I think Bouknight left UConn too early. It's now very very fashionable for kids to turn pro who just aren't ready physically or skill wise to play in the NBA. I don't think it's a crime to stay in college an extra year or 2 to develop, but the kids want the fast money and all of them think they will develop quick and not have to pay any dues. It is what it is

I think Bouknight left UConn too early. It's now very very fashionable for kids to turn pro who just aren't ready physically or skill wise to play in the NBA. I don't think it's a crime to stay in college an extra year or 2 to develop..
+1, I've said it in the past, but JB seemed to also be a little mentally immature, at least publicly....but then again like you said the $$...... not that it's best for overall growth on and off the court.

With NIL money now available in college, it's a better choice , especially spending time as a 2nd rounder or not ending up drafted, on a pro contract for G-league money ( $40 K +) not that it was James case.

I'd guess that NIL money and staying as a "college pro" is probably better pay for most.

I was actually thinking that if UConn were to win tonight, lucrative NIL deals could potentially await some UConn players, particularly Sanogo or Hawkins if they decide to stay in school. Of course if they were to return UConn would have like 16 guys and be over the roster limit........but these are or would be nice problems to have.

I found interesting Hurley's presser in which he said he doesn't want any kid coming to UConn for an NIL deal (like Pack did to Miami after getting 800K NIL deal). Hurley said he wants kids coming to UConn because they want to win, be great players and be coached by him. But in sports we all know that to the Victor goes the spoils, and I feel like NIL spoils will be there for all the UConn kids. Of the kids who are clearly returning, if UConn wins tonight, I would think Karaban and Clingan could cash in.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT