ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Hurleys judgment?

victorio1234

Mar 7, 2010
Game after game the former McD's AA, AG, loses a close game for us that was more than winnable. A good coach would recognize this and adjust accordingly. Maybe put the ball in someone else's hands who can protect it better, but certainly not keep in the same culprits hands to lose the game again!! Whats up COACH? Can you hear this plea from us desperate fans ? What is this love affair you have with AG? It looks as though AG isn't capable of closing out a game for us, like a baller of his ilk should!

Reactions: the Blades
The love affair has to be because of his defense. Although I'm hopeful as the year goes on Bouk will be our closer as he gets better. I'm being optimistic but I think we can win the AAC tournament.

What’s funny or ironic is that Hurley was widely praised for not running these same guys off of the team when he was hired. He wanted to show some loyalty and perhaps he thought these guys had some potential. Carlton actually made some strides last year, but so far he is having a very disappointing season. Whether his ineffectiveness is due to his weight gain or natural plateauing of his talent level is hard to say. To my eyes he looks slower and less mobile than last year. AG hasn’t really developed as a solid decision maker. Some have excused his play on his series of shoulder injuries. That may have impacted his shooting ability but it certainly had no impact on his IQ or decision making skills and those skills are creating the issues with his play. In the case of Vital, I think he has plateaued and what you see is what you get. Back in the day he would have been a good bench piece but he isn’t really an elite level college hoops starting guard. He had some very unproductive penetrations last night, taking it to the hole but not getting fouled and not finishing his drives with anything that looked like a good shot. You have to be fouled or have a reasonable chance at finishing the play, but with UConn’s starting guards you often go double 0 for 2 in these categories.

Who then? All these excruciating last second loses could have been prevented with good bb IQ. Maybe coach could have coached some?

Hurley, he can put his players in better situation. Carlton has been a no show, Akok has no offensive game. Adams has been struggling and CV had 3 wild drives in a row in last night's game.

Hurley, he can put his players in better situation. Carlton has been a no show, Akok has no offensive game. Adams has been struggling and CV had 3 wild drives in a row in last night's game.
Yet we led most of the game and in the end, we were in a position to win. The problem is, in my judgement, that Hurley should have taken a lesson from the past three loses and taken AG out, or taken the ball out of his hands. No?

In whose hands do you put the ball? Gaffney is the backup point guard and when he was trapped last night he dribbled the ball off his foot and out of bounds. You think a team like Houston wouldn’t be all over him? Unfortunately AG was the only real option at the end of the game and he wasn’t a good one to have. It is what it is. You just hope with Cole next year these overpenetration dribbles through traffic and tight traps don’t happen. And you hope Gaffney gets better because he looks soft against the really good teams, super TO prone, although I do like his shooting ability.

The UConn team is competitive but just not good enough to win close games against the better teams. 1-4 in the AAC, is terrible. I thought this team was better but the veterans just haven’t played very well. Akok struggles to generate offense and Gaffney just isn’t ready. Bouknight is promising but needs some polish. It’s going to be the 4th straight mediocre season of basketball and none of us like it, but there will be better times ahead. Or so we can hope.

What happened to Hurley's judgement??

A fair question to ask from anyone that has ever seen this "man" parade up and down the sideline representing the University of Connecticut's Mens Basketball Program.

Usually coaches behaving like this have earned their right to act like an imbecile in public because they win. Not Danny boy. He thinks every call should go his way because of all his previous success in coaching. You know, the 1 career NCAA Tournament victory under his belt entitles him to berate officials and ROOT ROOT ROOT for his team like a child.

He is an utter disgrace to the legacy the University of Connecticut's Mens Basketball Program worked so hard to obtain.

At least Kevin Ollie at some point contributed to UCONN's success and furthered the legacy.

As bad as Ollie became, he failed with dignity.
Even when the school he dedicated his collegiate playing and coaching career attempted to disgrace him because he didnt win enough.

Now we have this pitiful excuse of a head coach.
A failure in every aspect of his life.

His playing career and now his coaching career has turned laughable.

UCONN managed to replace a man they portrayed as incompetent with the least accomplished man in his own family.

Until proven otherwise, DH will now be referred to in all realms of social media as LAMIHF........Least Accomplished Man In His Family

FU LAMIHF

What happened to Hurley's judgement??

A fair question to ask from anyone that has ever seen this "man" parade up and down the sideline representing the University of Connecticut's Mens Basketball Program.

Usually coaches behaving like this have earned their right to act like an imbecile in public because they win. Not Danny boy. He thinks every call should go his way because of all his previous success in coaching. You know, the 1 career NCAA Tournament victory under his belt entitles him to berate officials and ROOT ROOT ROOT for his team like a child.

He is an utter disgrace to the legacy the University of Connecticut's Mens Basketball Program worked so hard to obtain.

At least Kevin Ollie at some point contributed to UCONN's success and furthered the legacy.

As bad as Ollie became, he failed with dignity.
Even when the school he dedicated his collegiate playing and coaching career attempted to disgrace him because he didnt win enough.

Now we have this pitiful excuse of a head coach.
A failure in every aspect of his life.

His playing career and now his coaching career has turned laughable.

UCONN managed to replace a man they portrayed as incompetent with the least accomplished man in his own family.

Until proven otherwise, DH will now be referred to in all realms of social media as LAMIHF........Least Accomplished Man In His Family

FU LAMIHF
You really shouldn't post after a night of drinking. Lol

1-5 in the AAC, currently tied for dead last in this dreadful stinkin 12 team league.

The on-court product is worse than at any point during Kevin Ollie's reign of terror.

I defy anyone to name 1 player that has gotten even the slightest bit better as a basketball player during the tenure of LAMIHF

Just when you think UCONN has hit absolute bottom LAMIHF digs the hole deeper.

The once mighty have fallen, and they cant get up.

Would Gilbert be allowed back if he wanted to play another year?

Or will Cole get the keys to run the offense?

I still think the future is bright. But we need to pull out some of these close games or recruiting will stall.

They have not been far away from winning games, and this team illustrates the fine line between winning and losing in college basketball. Not having Polley means teams are zoning UConn a lot more now, and even though their defense is good enough to keep them in games, the lack of 3 point shooting and poor decision making have been fatal in tight games. You throw Cole, Jackson and the 7 footer and Richie Springs in the mix next year and things could be different.

It's definitely Cole's team next year. Starting guards today 5-22 FGs and 1-13 on 3s, that just will not win in college hoops.

As a team UConn shot 9-33 (27%) on 3s vs. Tulsa. No Polley means lots of zone D the rest of the year and more of the same shooting stats.

I would suggest to Hurley that he might want to recruit another 3 point shooter although Polley will be back next year.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm the only one skeptical of the impact of Cole.
Everyone seems to be banking on him being the key figure in a 180 degree turnaround.
He was only on UCONN's radar because of the St. Anthony's connection, and he wasnt exactly thought of as big time coming into college in 2017.

Cole attended basketball powerhouse St. Anthony High School. He was ranked a three-star prospect and maintained a 4.0 grade point average. Cole turned down offers from Boston University and Monmouth to play at Howard, where he believed he could make an immediate impact.

Adding to the skepticism is every single player that has been hyped to be the UCONN savior recently has disappointed:

Sidney Wilson was a 4 star transfer and his playing time is sporadic at best.
Akok is a bean pole that can only score if he dunks or is wide open
Bouknight cant shoot
Gaffney isnt even a rotational player on a legit NCAA Tourney Team.

If this incoming class does not make an immediate impact, and the players above do not make serious improvements, this could get really embarrassing heading into the Big East.

Cole's stats were very good at Howard, the question is how will 22 ppg and 6.2 assist per game translate to the Big East:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4279789/rj-cole

We will need to wait and see, but I would expect him to be at least as good as Sterling Gibbs and probably better as Gibbs was not really a PG but a SG who was asked to play PG, something that was exposed in the NCAA Tournament. I would say Cole is good for 15 ppg and 5 apg at least. Plus was a 39% 3 point shooter which will be welcome. However, he did have a lot of TOs and in fact averaged almost 4 TO pg his freshman year, which is a concern.

Right now the reality is that UConn is 10-9, and 1-5 AAC, which is good for 11th place and a mere half game out of last place/12th, currently occupied by USF, which drilled UConn in Tampa earlier this year. UConn is facing a huge game Wednesday night vs. Temple followed by a road game at Memphis, and 2 more losses will almost certainly drop UConn into last place in the AAC, which is not what you want in your last year in this league.

Cole was recruited by Howard, Boston U, and Monmouth out of high school.
What does that tell you?
Yes he was player of the year in the MEAC, a conference that has put 1 player in the NBA in the last 20 years.

Look I hope the guy is the savior, but people basing that on him lighting up inferior competition is laughable.

In no way do I see the future being bright because we are losing close games to the likes of Tulsa, Wichita State, Houston, and Xavier on a regular basis.

We've also been waxed by pitiful teams like St Joe's and South Florida.

This program is in utter shambles right now and it appears to have gotten worse since LAMIHF took over.

We are losers living in the past

This team is better than Ollie's last few.......Adams saved Ollie, that one player got us wins when they came but without Adams we would have lose almost every game.

DH has his hands full this year. The three amigos are awefull and without Tyler we are doomed. At least Tyler was a net positive out there, we dont have the ability to win without Tyler as his touches seems to be going to AG and Vital who are terrible decision makers.

This year is a throw away, shouldnt have been but DH really felt AG and Vital could lead and its just an epic failure with those two and Carlton. DH is having a hard time moving the minutes to Gaff and Bouk but its coming....has to.

As for Cole, the kid got serious votes to be an all american....he's legit and will be a HUGE upgrade over AG.

Reactions: the Blades
I still have hope for next year that these freshman will grow as well. But this year is kind of a lost cause. The zone defenses are coming and UConn is shooting blanks without Polley. Hard to win games between that and the poor decisions being made and really no inside game with the regression of Carlton.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Agree 100%, this year is LOST and laughable if you think about the way DH brought the pic of the AAC trophy around the team at all times wanting to leave on a high note and we are in the basement instead........

This hurts but we need to take our lumps and hope like hell Cole is real. If he isn't we will have one hell of a first year back in the BE. It will be humbling which we should know by now isnt fun.

We have NO CREDIBILITY as a program right now leaving the AAC like a chump getting laughed at while the BE is full of ranked teams chomping at the bit to pile on UConn by beating the hell out of us in our first year back.

Sounds like AG is taking a mental break but last night was an objectively horrible display of basketball- except for UConn 28-30 on FTs, which was nice. But 35% FGs and 6-25 on 3s at home will not win many games, only the ones where the other team sucks even worse

Memphis practically handed the game to UCONN.
At times it looked like they had UCONN and the points.
They still lost.

UCONN has sunk to toilet level, 1 flush away from descending to the sewer

If bouknight can learn how to stay out of foul trouble we can beat anyone in the conference.

I would also say UConn can lose to anyone in the conference as well, something they have already proven.

Last night UConn shot 52% FGs and outrebounded Tulsa by 15. When those two things happen you usually don’t lose. UConn has not been shooting well consistently nor have they outrebounded anyone by such a margin so last night’s game stats may have been an outlier.

Reactions: 12rtackerman12
Akok Akok looks like he tore his achilles.
Likely will not be seen in a UCONN uniform again until the beginning of the 2021-2022 season...............

How long is that injury going to take Akok to heal? Hopefully he’ll be ready by fall. The silver lining is Sid will be pressed into action. As well as more minutes for Whaley.

If it’s a full rupture it’s like Kevin Durant who missed an entire season. Akok might not be back until
2021-2022 and if it’s the same injury as Durant there is no chance he is back in the fall. So Richie Springs will need to play a lot next year.

Game after game the former McD's AA, AG, loses a close game for us that was more than winnable. A good coach would recognize this and adjust accordingly. Maybe put the ball in someone else's hands who can protect it better, but certainly not keep in the same culprits hands to lose the game again!! Whats up COACH? Can you hear this plea from us desperate fans ? What is this love affair you have with AG? It looks as though AG isn't capable of closing out a game for us, like a baller of his ilk should!
Hurley gave AG as much slack as he could. Hurley gave him enough slack so that when he tightened the leash, literally nobody could complain that he didn't give AG a chance. Smart move by a smart coach. He's now got AG coming off the bench and playing his best ball, and nobody can say that AG didn't have his chances. No loss of loyalty from other players.

Memphis practically handed the game to UCONN.
At times it looked like they had UCONN and the points.
They still lost.

UCONN has sunk to toilet level, 1 flush away from descending to the sewer
Wow I can't wait until Hurley gets some depth and we win a lot of the close games we have been losing. Its going to be fun to watch you jump into the toilet and flush your self into the sewer!

Reactions: Crank2
Wow I can't wait until Hurley gets some depth and we win a lot of the close games we have been losing. Its going to be fun to watch you jump into the toilet and flush your self into the sewer!
Yeah, what's the deal with that guy's post? Is he a fan or are we being trolled? The trajectory of the program is clearly up. It will be very exciting to watch the next few years. It already is!

Explain how the trajectory of the program is "clearly up"

They are ranked 67th in NET

0-5 against Quad I ranked teams. The only other teams in the conference without a Quad I win are Tulane and East Carolina.

309th in the country in offensive field goal %

8th Place in a conference that at best will put 3 teams in the tourney.

Next year they will be playing in a conference that routinely puts 7-8 teams in the tourney and the bottom tier is much better than the AAC.

2 of there returning front court players have torn ligaments and will be out for all of next year.

I do not get excited about close losses
Years 1-2 of Dandy Dan Hurley aka LAMIHF have been a disappointing fail

Last edited:
Explain how the trajectory of the program is "clearly up"
Okay. I will. But be advised that this will be my first and last post in reply to you or addressed to you. Based on your posts in this thread alone, you seem to be incredibly negative. You are supportive of the previous coach, who is the man who, through his ineptitude, cratered the program. You are in attack dog mode against the coach we now have, who is a perfect fit and very likely to bring us back to national prominence in short order.

I'm a fan to have fun. Not really sure why you are a fan. I have had a lot of fun this year cheering for a team that is giving it everything they have. For me, that's what it's about. I suppose if a person is a Patriots fan or a Yankees fan or a GSW fan or 1999 to 2014 UConn fan, an expectation of winning it all every couple of years becomes the norm. I've been around since right before Calhoun. When the program was growing, but there was no expectation of winning, and it was absolutely glorious riding that wave. The prior coach sucked all the fun out of the program by putting listless, unmotivated teams on the floor. It's not fun to cheer for a team giving it 70% effort every night and folding at the 3/4 mark. That describes the 3 years prior to Hurley's arrival.
To you question. First, see the other thread I started. But to reiterate here: For the first time in 4 years we are competing every night. The margin of defeat is less than it has been for 4 years in the games we have lost. We have multiple players showing excellent progress and promise, including Polley. We have a phenom coming in in Jackson. We have a coach who is a proven winner, and who has taken this team from one of the worst in the country to top 67 in a short 1.7 seasons.
309th in the country in offensive field goal %
This is both a legacy of the interregnum coach, of the relative youth of our team, and Polley's injury. The positive spin here is how we ar #67 notwithstanding this horrid number. Think about the implication.
Next year they will be playing in a conference that routinely puts 7-8 teams in the tourney and the bottom tier is much better than the AAC.
Your point is that we will be in a better conference, and so? What? Being in a better conference will lead to easier, better recruiting, which will make us better. How negative are you when you view moving into the best basketball conference in the country as a negative? Lol.
2 of there returning front court players have torn ligaments and will be out for all of next year.
The upward trajectory of the program will withstand injuries, just as any winning program will.
I do not get excited about close losses
Years 1-2 of Dandy Dan Hurley aka LAMIHF have been a disappointing fail
You don't? I do. I mean, I get very excited about close games. It's what makes basketball fundamentally exciting.
Dan Hurley was the perfect hire, and is the perfect coach for the job. The fact is, if AG had been anything other than a complete disaster this year, we'd be a tournament team. That was not foreseeable and is a legacy problem that will be gone next year, whether or not AG is on the bench as the third guard.
Regarding the general sentiment that DH's progress should be measured by Ws, that is painfully myopic. I recognize that our world has become incessantly more immediate. Expecting a coach to come in and take one of the worst teams in the country and make it into a top 40 team in 1.7 seasons is . . . rather odd to me.
It took Calhoun over 10 years to build the program. It took the prior coach about 3 to completely ruin it.
Dan is doing wonderfully well. We will be making annual tournament runs very shortly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT