ADVERTISEMENT

we got Shonn Miller

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
Can't help but think this is a MASSIVE get for us for one year.

he starts at the 4 letting Facey spend one more year learning.

solid solid get.

have to think this cements Ollie staying as well. I didn't think it was a real thing but nice to put it to bed.for at least on more year.

LOL... Dom where is KO going bro???

Miller was a must get an glad KO got him!

Al Tarique is a done deal as well... Although that will be made public little later

#StriveforFive

With the eye popping stats he had I will be shocked if he doesn't start. Also was a very good FT shooter (over 83%) but despite the highlights Blades posted of him draining a bunch of 3s, he is no DeAndre Daniels. Miller only shot 27% on the 3 ball, which kind of sucks, but he is so strong in other areas especially rebounding that we can give him a pass and tell him he does not need to be shooting 4 3s a game with those numbers.

This is really good news! Best grad transfer UConn has picked up- this guy is way better than RJ Evans and Lasan Kromah!

This post was edited on 4/18 5:20 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
Ozzie actually it is public on Alterique. 247's Crystal Ball says "100% UConn":
You do know those are just a bunch of 24/7 writers predictions.... at one point Stone was all Uconn's too:
No NLI yet, but I think Ozzie has a better "source"....LOL !
This post was edited on 4/18 7:36 PM by the Blades

Shonn Miller talks about UConn transfer

usatsi_8334046_110579513_lowres.jpg

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/04/shonn-miller-transfers-to-uconn.html

This post was edited on 4/18 5:43 PM by the Blades

Great news on both. Tommy A-maker thinks he's a contributor at any D 1 level.

Alterique is shooting 55% from 3 in his hs career? And it's not like he's only taken 20. He's taken almost 300. Unless their 3pt line is 15 feet, that awesome.

Just think a backcourt of Jalen and Al Tarique in 2 years.... WOW!!

That is a NC backcourt easy!!

Blades no Lil Gilbert is 2016 bro. Btw in pickup games yesterday he was KILLING TSam and others. Straight molesting them lol

Comments by Yale Coach James Jones on Shonn Miller:

"I think Shonn is a tremendous talent," Yale coach James Jones told the Hartford Courant. "He's big, strong, athletic, he had some thunderous dunks over his career, you shake your head at how awesome they were. He's a tremendous defensive rebounder. … He can fall in love with the three-pointer. I think he's more effective scoring around the basket and he could be a better offensive rebounder."

http://sportzedge.com/2015/04/18/cornell-forward-shonn-miller-will-transfer-to-uconn/

Originally posted by the Blades:
You do know those are just a bunch of 24/7 writers predictions....
They wouldn't be posting that Alterique Gilbert was "100% UConn" in their Crystal Ball unless he was a lock and they had information that he is a lock. I am guessing they have the same info as Ozzie, maybe a different source but it's out there. These guys may be bloggers but it's their business to be right. Ozzie has no such business interest and no money on the line, he is just a fan with information that he is posting for free and getting no money for it.

Now on to other rumors, which namely are that Ollie made a quote on the other two scholarships for next year that something was about to go down- that a couple of recruits were "on the brink" from what he said to the Register. Who? When?

This post was edited on 4/19 9:50 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by the Blades:
You do know those are just a bunch of 24/7 writers predictions....
I am guessing they have the same info as Ozzie, maybe a different source but it's out there. These guys may be bloggers but it's their business to be right. Ozzie has no such business interest and no money on the line, he is just a fan with information that he is posting for free and getting no money for it.

Come on KSTW....Ozzie's the man.... he used to blog on his own site and be part of the Uconn program so...
he is their Crystal ball , LOL !
This post was edited on 4/19 10:10 AM by the Blades

Can't take a joke can you kid .. LOL !

and don't forget the love because.....Ozzie's also our Crystal Ball .....
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/19 10:11 AM by the Blades

Originally posted by CaNOLEE:
Alterique is shooting 55% from 3 in his hs career? And it's not like he's only taken 20. He's taken almost 300. Unless their 3pt line is 15 feet, that awesome.
Noticed the same thing.... crazy 3 pt numbers and consistent FT's for 3 years at 76%...plus 59 % last year on
2's...that's a big man %....not an outside shooter.... at any level.

Now on to other rumors, which namely are that Ollie made a quote
on the other two scholarships for next year that something was about to
go down- that a couple of recruits were "on the brink" from what he said
to the Register. Who? When?
Yeah good call...just read this in the Courant: " They are not finished recruiting for next season, though. The
coaches will be out at tournaments next weekend and are intent on filling two more scholarships." So do
they mean next season as in 2015-16 !
Is There Anybody Out There?
This post was edited on 4/19 10:58 AM by the Blades

Yea we still are looking for a shooter who can handle. Would have loved Damion Lee or Lyles from Cleveland St but MD and Louisville came with those duffle bags and that was that!

Al Tarique is our only lead guard for 2016 class.

So the latest on Tarique is that the usual suspect of schools are playing real dirty and want him bad... LMAO at Boeheim and Cuse along with Louisvillle etc...

So the latest on Tarique is that the usual suspect of schools are playing real dirty and want him bad... LMAO at Boeheim and Cuse along with Louisvillle etc...

Yep, this is the beauty of having to it play clean, while these P-5 schools with farce academics and as
dirty as they come have no worries...about being on the up and up. You know Boeheim's gonna want to
buy a NC anyway he can, since he's on borrowed time. And what happens if he gets caught again?
Will Cuse be thrown out of the P-5...not a chance !

Last edited:
Yahoo and Zag not helping with all this OKC talk with Ollie.........I hope you are right to laugh this off Oz.

It's gunna be tough to land any recruits while this OKC coaching rumor hangs over KO's head. The sooner the position is filled with someone not named KO, the better. Even if he isn't interested and is telling these recruits he's staying at UConn, the other schools will continue to deploy their negative recruiting tactics.

If KO truly is all in at UConn I would hope he would come out sooner rather than later and state as such to officially shut up all these reporters and their "sources"

Silk as a business man you never do that. Always keep one eye and one ear open homey!

But trust me when I tell you he is all UCONN recruiting hard on the trail as we speak he worked out Al Tarique and 6 am in Atl this morning.

Yes schools can use that as a negative but I turn that around and say hey Coachnis so good and wanted that NBA teams want him to lead their organizations....

This is really a red herring if you ask me. Everyone on this board behaves as if UConn is the only target of negative recruiting. Every school uses it. Schools like Duke and Kentucky have to deal with it as their recruits are told that they are being recruited over with another player the real object of the school's desire. If you can't think of something negative to say, then you are probably not prepared to do the job. However I always thought the best approach to selling anything is stressing the positives rather than focusing on negatives.

To me, it's idiotic to use Oklahoma City's desire to have Kevin Ollie coach their team as a negative recruiting tactic. What you're really telling the recruit is that he's a great coach, and you run the risk that if Ollie convinces the recruit that he is staying at UConn, the whole thing backfires, as you have built Ollie up beyond belief. It's flat dumb. The whole thing is a red herring in my opinion. You guys are getting too caught up in and influenced by 24/7 bloggers who are looking to fill space and time with endless bullshit.

Silk as a business man you never do that. Always keep one eye and one ear open homey!

But trust me when I tell you he is all UCONN recruiting hard on the trail as we speak he worked out Al Tarique and 6 am in Atl this morning.

Yes schools can use that as a negative but I turn that around and say hey Coach is so good and wanted that NBA teams want him to lead their organizations....

Of course I know he wouldn't come out and snuff out the rumors like that Oz but in a perfect world I wish he would. Every UConn off season is drama filled in way or another and this one will be no different and I guess we'll have to get used to KO's name being brought up as a next level option.

We haven't set the recruiting world on fire since our natty and this is an added obstacle to closing out recruits.

Also hearing an interesting rumor about Sterling Gibbs tagging along with Temple Gibbs on his visit to UConn. Some rumblings that since he graduated he can become a grad transfer and we may be a fit if he chooses to go that route.

No doubt man... Trust me I feel you on the lack of recruiting prowess after the NC!!
Yea the sterling Gibbs interest is real. He reached out to UCONN so... Let's see if the fit is there. Would be nice close out to this class.

Reactions: Silk31
Sterling Gibbs and Adams would turn our suspect backcourt into a strength. Like hearing that he reached out to us, that could really bode well for us.

We also visited Alterique in GA this morning so I'm hoping you're spot on with us being a lock for his services Oz.

RE: OKC It's a double edge sword..........I can see him leaving the rumors out there last year... because his agent needed it for contract negotiations for a new deal.
BUT......KO got his 5 year deal...so his first line of business and $3 Mil a year is to his current employer ... letting this stuff float out there can effect his success
at his current job.......for recruiting, for his current players and for the fanbase that made a commitment to him.... 10 toes in is a nice saying...but it works both ways.

I think the recruiting class of Adams, Enoch, and Miller with 2 more schollies open is so far pretty good. UConn lost Stone to MD but I was never convinced Stone was a good fit at UConn. I don't see the recruiting as that bad considering that UConn basically had 4 starters coming back, although granted nobody at the 4 spot who deserved to return as a starter hence the Miller recruitment filling a need. Where is the love for what UConn has done so far? Outside of Stone who frankly wasn't a good fit based on UConn big man history, what more would you guys have Kevin Ollie do? Show the man some love please. I still have some hope for Purvis despite his low basketball IQ, Hamilton is listed as going #6 in the 2016 NBA Draft, and Brimah could be really good if he gets stronger. I like what KO has done, not everyone is going to be a superstar and never want to recruit that way anyhow.

Count me in on next years team. I think Adams is a game changer and as much as you all know how I felt about Boat I do think Adams is a just overall better player with a better light about him. He is a smiling gamer while Boat had that CHIP that made him the baller he was but maybe wasnt the best when this team needed a positive leader.

Enoch I think could be good quickly and will help this team far more than Lubin would have.

Because Lubin wasn't ready UConn did not have anyone who could play physically at the 4-5 positions and now with Enoch and Miller there are two guys who can do the job and really kick some ass inside.

Well it looks like KO has actually decided to put those NBA rumors to bed as I had hoped he would. It's clear that this is where he wants to be fore the foreseeable future and I wasn't nearly as worried about these rumors as I was a year ago. He didn't sign a new contract with us to up and leave his alma mater a mere one season later.

Now let's go and close out some recruits

“As I have said many times, I am proud and honored to be the head basketball coach at the University of Connecticut and I have no plans to pursue other opportunities,” Ollie said. “We are already excited about next season and I am looking forward to preparing our team to be the best we can be on the court, in the classroom and in our community.”

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...-have-no-plans-to-pursue-other-opportunities/

I saw that too Silk. Good thing for him to do. I find it annoying that the Thunder would put that crap out there and potentially mess with our recruiting. I don't think it was done maliciously but that is one of the off shoots.

It is now out there that he was their #1 option. There was some real bite to these rumors, OKC wanted Ollie bad. Now that he is staying I think the NBA wanting him as a coach of a pretty great team when healthy should do nothing but help Ollie's recruiting.

As I said earlier anyone who would try and use this against UConn would be an idiot because all that you are saying to a recruit is that he is wanted badly by a team possibly on the cusp of being an NBA champion. You are or would be telling recruits he is a great coach so I see it as helping rather than hurting although it is nice that he has again seen fit to reaffirm his commitment to UConn for the remainder of his contract - which is 4 more years.

Well, either a recruit is going to believe Ollie when he looks him in the eye, or think he is full of shit. If the recruit thinks he is full of shit, he will not be signing with UConn anyway. If he believes Ollie, then all these rumors do is bolster Ollie's status as someone who is coveted by the NBA- a place all recruits eventually want to be. So with the guys who have good rapport with Ollie, I say it helps to have these things out there bolstering the value of our Coach.

Most of these kids do not think too much beyond this. They are kids after all, and they don't see things the same way we mature adults do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT