ADVERTISEMENT

Was George Deleone back running the offense ???

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Diaco, his OC and their conservative ways are not gonna fill the stadium up...This was an FCS team and they both coached like scared little boys.....This was like watching Pasqualoni and DeLeone ...version 2.0....

..the booing at the end of the first half was for gutless leadership. These players are ready to give it all but we have coaches that won't turn them loose until they are behind......to Maine !!!!......He'd rather sit back in the fetal position hoping something bad doesn't happen!!! Does Diaco have any clue how bad it is as a fan watching this stuff ????

I'm sorry..... Benedict can try to make all the game improvements he wants but our FB fans aren't dumb....boring Vanilla is not gonna work. What happens when you get down to a real FBS team by a score or 2 ????...It's game over....I hope the AD has TJ Weist on speed dial or someone who values a forward pass to open up the running game and spread out the defense before they are losing the game.....I'm done....

And when they did try and pass, I saw an unblocked cornerback blitz from the blind side which resulted in a vicious sack, a fumble and a TD going the other way. Shirreffs never even looked left and obviously did not feel the rush coming either. It was not pretty to watch and now I am kind of looking to press the fast forward button to basketball season because I think the hoops team could be very good.

And when they did try and pass, I saw an unblocked cornerback blitz from the blind side which resulted in a vicious sack, a fumble and a TD going the other way. Shirreffs never even looked left and obviously did not feel the rush coming either. It was not pretty to watch and now I am kind of looking to press the fast forward button to basketball season because I think the hoops team could be very good.

Gotta be the dumbest play call of the night....a naked play action ????... after they finally got the run game going by stretching the field with some passes and were running at will ??? .... But It's all right KSTW, us FB fans wont miss ya if you pack it in on FB, but who can really blame ya after what we all watched from these coaches !!!

Last edited:
I don't know if I am going to pack it in yet because I always give teams a pass on their first game. If we see this again with the play calling I will need to check out early because I just can't watch that kind of football to begin with. You have to understand Blades that while I will watch all sports, even soccer and tennis, my favorite sports are basketball and baseball. Those are the sports where I can sit and watch the games and really enjoy them as a fan not only of a team but the sport. I respect well executed basketball when played by the other team. If the Yankees can't hit a guy who is changing speeds on his pitches and hitting the corners I tip my cap in admiration. But to me bad football is really unwatchable. Maybe I am spoiled because I watch UConn men and women and Yankees baseball and typically do not watch really bad bastardized impure versions of the sport.

Diaco, his OC and their conservative ways are not gonna fill the stadium up...This was an FCS team and they both coached like scared little boys.....This was like watching Pasqualoni and DeLeone ...version 2.0....

..the booing at the end of the first half was for gutless leadership. These players are ready to give it all but we have coaches that won't turn them loose until they are behind......to Maine !!!!......He'd rather sit back in the fetal position hoping something bad doesn't happen!!! Does Diaco have any clue how bad it is as a fan watching this stuff ????

I'm sorry..... Benedict can try to make all the game improvements he wants but our FB fans aren't dumb....boring Vanilla is not gonna work. What happens when you get down to a real FBS team by a score or 2 ????...It's game over....I hope the AD has TJ Weist on speed dial or someone who values a forward pass to open up the running game and spread out the defense before they are losing the game.....I'm done....

Blades don't give up yet. I was very dissappointed as well. It seems like we have the personal to succeed so why not use the tight ends etc? If by some miracle we win at Navy it willshow the coachs are adjusting .

I hear ya KSTW,
You're exactly the type of Uconn fan the FB team and HCBD as the leader needs to win over. There are thousands of you out there that could change the face of the FB program (again) and get some excitement back to when we were filling up the stadium at 97% capacity during eight strait years of the Big East and Edsall before the Fiesta Bowl. And that was even with the early CR when the BE lost 3 of their best draws ( Miami, Va Tech, and Boston College especially for Uconn because of the close rivalry).

But Diaco can't draw the casual fan with mediocre offense and playing scared FB. On Defense his forte, he plays the same way and would rather sit back than blitz or
pressure the other team.... We outdrew Cincy last night in their FCS opener, but if the AD is going to get people to come back he's gotta understand this.... PP and Deleone used this type of game plan twice and got fired for it both times, at Cuse and at Uconn.

At one point Edsall was getting a little to vanilla, but he realized it and brought in Joe Moorhead ( who's now at Penn St.) to pick things up on offense.... I'm a diehard but I can't take this " same movie" all over again and this nonsense that Diaco is spinning about having to play boring, clock killing football here in the North East. I can list a ton
of even FCS schools ( did Maine play scared ?) that can prove him wrong, beside the Patriots and the Giants who are never afraid to put up points... If this doesn't change he'll do nothing but pile on to what PP and GDL did by scaring away more fans .

Last edited:
Blades don't give up yet. I was very dissappointed as well. It seems like we have the personal to succeed so why not use the tight ends etc? If by some miracle we win at Navy it will show the coachs are adjusting .
Thanks for the balanced thoughts B....maybe they were holding back on the playbook vs. a FCS team and he didn't want to give Navy to much to work with...;)
at least I can hope & give myself a positive outlook .

Last edited:
Also since I mentioned Joe, this article just came out today.... wonder if he's afraid to play offense in the Northeast......SMH !!!!
Joe Moorhead going to bring tempo and a spread offense to Penn State football

" In Moorhead’s four seasons in charge of the Fordham Rams, ( after he left Uconn) he took a 1-10 program and turned it into an FCS playoff team for three consecutive years. He posted a 38-13 record in his time with the Rams. Moorhead turned a struggling unit into one of the most prolific offenses in the FCS."

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
I have to add this, it just shows how dumb and clueless Pasqualoni and his energy killer GDL were. They had one of the best OC's and minds in the country left on staff by Edsall. But what was their first move ?... to demote him to the QB coach, take away his offense and put GDL in charge. Until Moorhead left to be a head coach free from those 2 idiots and now he's the OC at one of the premier programs in the Northeast. Yep good enough for Penn St. but not good enough for PP. Who had to demote his man crush GDL anyway 2 years later for TJ Weist . But to much damage was done to the offense and the fan base so they still got fired ....... You paying attention Bobby Diaco ???

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT