ADVERTISEMENT

Warde Manuel leading candidate for Michigan AD position

UConnFamily

Gold Member
May 14, 2015
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=13194

Not a huge surprise considering his connections to Michigan. Also a lot of Husky fans give Warde a bad wrap for UConn being stuck in the conference they are in but he had a lot of work and cleaning up to do after Hathaway left. Warde and Susan have done a fantastic job for UConn since taking over leadership roles. Going to be a huge loss if he is offered the job

The new AD at Michigan will need to get along with Jim Harbaugh who reportedly isn't the easiest guy in the world to work with. However Warde and Jim both played football at Michigan so I assume they know each other and Warde knows what he signs up for in working with Harbaugh.

I'll be happy for Warde, he put alot of work into the Mich AD, hope he get's it....it'd be like him coming home after the Buffalo and Uconn stops.

Reactions: UConnFamily
Hardly got to know ya but good luck and kind of like KO........ glad you got the chance to head "home"...

Also to bad Boston College is such a train wreck ( they're still winless in the ACC in FB and BB this year)....awhile back BC AD Brad Bates was another Michigan FB guy that was supposed to be on their short list, but not with what's going in Chestnut Hill :

Source: UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel Headed For Michigan

Last edited:
So who's next ?? Some names from the Jersey guy who already has it figured out ;) ......

"If I were sitting in the seat of power now occupied by UConn President Susan Herbst and Chief of Staff Rachel Rubin (the priamary decision makers, with input from a search firm), I would contact former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese to serve as an advisor in the search." I would put make Rubin the interim athletic director while using Tranghese, who has the experience and the ability to point UConn in the right direction. I would then put together a prime list of candidates with these names in the first group: Army athletic director Boo Corrigan, Sean T. Frazier Northern Illinois AD ( played FB at Bama, Long lsland native.... worked at East coast schools Maine, Merrimack then at Wisconsin)., former Big East associate commissioner Nick Caparelli and Sean Lester- Kansas Deputy Athletics Director ( Mansfield CT native / Uconn grad). I would also include former Rutgers athletic directoTim Pernetti on the list. All of the above group have the necessary skills (in varying degrees) to help UConn make the next move, which is clearly a move to a Power 5 conference–with the Big 12 being the leading contender. "

Last edited:
That opt out was likely negotiated in case UConn hires a jerk whom Ollie can't stand (e.g. Calhoun-Hathaway situation). I can see it as being necessary for a coach to protect himself against a prick being hired without his consent.

In doing this hiring they have to be very careful of personality dynamics. I can see Ollie and Diaco working well with a lot of younger type ADs but Geno taking order and mandates from a much younger and less experienced man or woman may not work as well. Frequently in the AD job, egos and reputations have to be assuaged and honored. Look at what happened to the Texas AD and Rick Barnes. A total fiasco. You don't order a guy like Barnes to fire his assistant coaches. What a pussy that guy was and he deserved to be fired. You have to consider these things which Texas obviously didn't do when they hired that guy who didn't last, and this from a school that hardly needs money or P-5.

UC-PAC-TEMPLATE-2-Column_06.jpg
UC-PAC-TEMPLATE-2-Column_12.gif

UC-PAC-TEMPLATE-2-Column_13.gif

Dear UConn Fans,

The only downside to hiring fine leaders for key positions at UConn is that their experience and skills are sought after by other institutions across the nation, who also want to hire strong leaders.

When Warde Manuel, our Athletic Director since 2012, told me he was interested in the AD position at the University of Michigan, I was not at all surprised; Michigan is his alma mater where he spent years of his life as a student-athlete, playing football for Bo Schembechler, participating in track and field, and earning his degrees, later becoming assistant and associate AD there.

I was also not surprised when he was recently named to the position; Warde is a terrific AD and any university would be lucky to have him.

While we are sorry to lose him at UConn, we also understand how much the position at Michigan means to him and we wish him all the best.

Warde is expected to begin at Michigan in March. Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an Associate Athletic Director and is currently Chief of Staff in my office, will serve as interim AD.

We will begin a national search for a permanent successor immediately. I have appointed a committee to lead this search. They will serve in a critically important advisory capacity as we move through the process and I ultimately appoint our next AD. The members of the committee are:

• Andrew Bessette (’75), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Scott Brown, UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Educational Psychology, NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative
  • Andrea Dennis-LaVigne (’03), UConn Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
  • Doug Elliot (’82), President of The Hartford
  • Thomas Ritter (Law ’77), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Rachel Rubin (’77), Chief of Staff to the President & Executive Secretary to the Board of Trustees
  • Nancy Stevens, Head Coach, UConn Field Hockey
I look forward to a thorough and efficient search process.

Please join me in thanking Warde for his outstanding service to UConn and in wishing him all the best.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT