ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Investigation

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
If this is not the largest scandal in NCAA history I'm not sure what is. Maybe the Dave Bliss thing was larger, but someone got murdered. Are these guys going to get away with this without punishment?

UNC Investigation

Hey it's no big deal...it happens everywhere (sarcastic)...wasn't that the discussion a few years ago by some.

And as long as it's a power 5 school that's a member of the OL' boys greed network, the NCAA will just
send out a memo that states something like this:

"It is my understanding that, based on the available information, no additional investigation regarding these
issues is being contemplated by the NCAA enforcement staff, nor does the UNC staff believe that any
modification of the infractions case that was completed on March 12, 2012 is necessary," True quote
from a UNC senior athletic official. Less than an hour later, Mike Zonder, the NCAA’s associate director
for enforcement, responded: “You are correct in your assessment regarding the situation involving the
UNC AFAM department.” Zonder and NCAA President Mark Emmert did not respond to an interview request.

And then from the NCAA enforcement staff " Nothing to see here boys we need to spend our time on important stuff
like getting UConn for to many phone calls(that are now legal) and a couple of thousand worth of illegally obtained
medical bills ( Federal law possibly violated in Nate Miles case ) for a player who never played a minute for them."

Or if that doesn't cause enough damage we need to create a retroactive penalty and job the APR system
so we can ban them from our tournament........for factual grades they did submit....
Ah yes....being a member of a Power 5 Conference (cha-ching !) does have it's privileges !

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/08/3352200/ncaa-unlikely-to-punish-unc-for.html#storylink
This post was edited on 10/23 8:02 AM by the Blades

It's only been going on for 18 years. Will Coach Williams be back to the most successful coach never to have won a championship?

My prediction....As time goes by Calhoun's legacy will grow. His peers will fade. They will fade in two different ways. Either dirt will be found that seriously tarnishes their accomplishments (Roy, Dean, Calipari). Or they will just not be replaced by Coaches that can maintain their excellence (K, Boeheim).

Weather it was through JCs teaching or through their own life experience (undoubtedly both), KO has the same determination and drive JC had. As KO says, our coaches are UCONN made. The college BB world will finally understand what that means.

This post was edited on 10/23 11:53 AM by northdakotahusky

This should be the NCAA's last shot to stay apart of the game but I don't see it happening. The NCAA cant hit its biggest name in BBall, too much MJ and Dean Smith that would be tarnished. They should get the death penalty but wont because if they do then the next 4-5 that will have similar scandals will then have to get the same which we know would be a loss of tons of money.

IF this goes down as it SHOULD then I look for UK, UCLA, Texas, UNLV, and others to get found out.

There will not be a death penalty for the reasons mentioned by Dominick, but there could still be severe sanctions including loss of scholarships, postseason bans, etc.

They SHOULD get it though, this is worse than paying players. SMU got much worse for paying players pennies, this was academic fraud, fraud against their only reason for existence.

But like you said the death penalty would open a giant can of worms. Wasn't Penn State worse in covering up the activities of a child rapist who was known to be a child rapist for many years??????? Did they get the death penalty?

If UNC got the death penalty I could see a backlash causing multiple other investigations and then you go down the slippery slope of revisiting past sins by many schools. Once you go down the slippery slope, there is no stopping until you freefall and hit the bottom in what could be a bottomless pit of shit. And if you ban everyone, there is nobody left to play.

This post was edited on 10/24 4:04 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

The NCAA has become nothing but a PR organization who picks, chooses, or overlooks their targets and
penalties based on money and what damage control it takes to move the issue along in the public eye.

They already backed off a huge portion of the Penn St. penalties and suddenly they're now Bowl eligible
since the country has moved on with their knives and pitchforks. (But then again the B1G looked to be
hurtin' for Bowl teams this year and they have stadiums to fill ). So appeals are OK for the sins of a child
molester but not for an APR Warning that was different than most ( as in one day your post season eligible
and a few days later they "change the passing grade after the test has already been submitted" ).

The NCAA and consistency should never be confused. Good article from Fox Sports regarding how they
move forward on this issue. Also touches on how the NCAA handled Clem Haskins and Minnesota just for
historical context:

Fox Sports- "Strong NCAA action imperative"

"So today, Emmert and the NCAA face a defining moment. What are they going to do about North Carolina?
How do you appropriately reprimand a university whose employees spent 18 years making a mockery of higher
education? Who put the competitive needs of athletics above the academic development of students? Who
made "the most serious academic fraud violations in 20 years"- Haskins' -18 cheating basketball players -
seem like child's play when compared with the unfathomable scope of UNC's "shadow curriculum."
This post was edited on 10/24 5:16 PM by the Blades

Rashad McCants Interview

Here is an interview of Rashad McCants by Andy Katz. Also participating, at McCants' request, is Jalen Rose. I don't doubt anything McCants says, but in listening to him speak and give soundbites, I get the distinct impression there is someone behind him, either an attorney or some other person with an agenda. I think that agenda would be to collect money for McCants due to his exploitation by both UNC and the NCAA. I go back to the slippery slope: if McCants has to be paid, then so do thousands of others. Where is that money going to come from? It's going to come from all of you guys when you pay higher ticket prices to fund the settlement of litigation matters. That is why each post you guys make on this subject, while having a ring of truth, also constitutes a bullet fired through your foot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11758171/roy-williams-addresses-north-carolina-academic-fraud-report

Re: Rashad McCants Interview

Nice spin KSTW, but I call bullspit. The NCAA and "Power 5 " has already done enough damage to the only program
that I support, the Uconn Huskies, with their selective punishment and demotion from the "BCS" that I feel like we've
already taken a bullet to the head. So I could give 2 F%ks what happens to UNC or the NCAA, it's molehill compared
to mountains of problems that Uconn face, but nice try. And if they all go down I'd be more than happy to watch the
carnage like you do from your couch.

Give them the Arod treatment. Like him they are an oversized behemoth target - like him they suffer delusions they are above the law - and like him an unprecedented punishment would send shockwaves through the sport.

Make an example of UNC and watch these other schools veering away from the law, fall into compliance.

You can't sweep this under any rug and it just makes the NCAA look bad.

They're going to come out firing imo.

I don't know if you guys listened to the interview with McCants, but he seemed to be targeting the NCAA as much as UNC with his accusations of exploitation. If the NCAA has to pay for that exploitation, none of us will be able to afford tickets to see an NCAA tournament game. It would be nice if UNC was the only target, but that is not what I heard.

This is much like the concussion liability issue the NFL has. The NFL may end up paying billions to stop the barrage of lawsuits. Then they will have to change the rules to make us all watch flag football - which none of us will do. I don't think the NCAA has the money to pay for all of its liability. So the question is, who is cutting the check?

This post was edited on 10/25 12:58 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Originally posted by TateGorgeous:
Give them the Arod treatment. Like him they are an oversized behemoth target - like him they suffer delusions they are above the law - and like him an unprecedented punishment would send shockwaves through the sport.

Make an example of UNC and watch these other schools veering away from the law, fall into compliance.

You can't sweep this under any rug and it just makes the NCAA look bad.

They're going to come out firing imo.
+1, if they want to continue to pretend to be an enforcement agency collecting billions that cares about student-
athletes, they better learn to be fair and consistent across the board with their rules, their phony APR and penalties.

Sucks for old Roy, that UNC got caught but they need to be taken out just like MLB took down A-Rod and
eventually everyone will get the message and those that haven't or don't.. oh well...but with this guy running
the show I won't hold my breath:

Doing what's right isn't on Mark Emmert's NCAA agenda

I visit the UNC site today. It's old news to them. No further punishment needed. They have big plans to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure if they realize what a double standard this is. We get punished for turning in legit grades. Minnesota gets punished for doing almost the same thing (on much smaller scale) and UNC get's no punishment.

It's so blatantly obvious how the NCAA favors certain Big 5 schools and especially is willing to make exceptions
for power house FB schools. Like T-Boone Pickens OK St crew who just got an APR waiver with some grades they added
for players from the 90's, an illegal Tyrelle Pryor and friends getting to play for Ohio St. in the Sugar Bowl, Cam Newton's
non-interrupted Heisman run despite his dad's "play for pay/$180,000 plan ". Then you have a key Attn in the Miami/Shapiro
scandal remarking about the NCAA with a comment like this: "I don't know what it's all about and I find this very
suspicious,"
she said. "And I'm starting to believe they want to intentionally botch this investigation for reasons
I can only imagine are monetary.
" And the latest, Penn St. having their penalties waived this year so they can play in
the post season because the B1G needs eligible teams to fill their bowl tie-ins.

If conference realignment and the new autonomy has shown us anything it's that FB money and TV contracts not only
rule the NCAA hierarchy, they dictate to them. So when we see Uconn left behind in the AAC singled out for APR
punishment ( 13 NCAA tourney team's would've received the APR ban if rules were in place the year before) and playing
for 10 cents on the dollar, the math doesn't lie. It shows how the (Power 5 controlled) NCAA will make an example of
certain high profile BB schools (Former NCAA staffers tell ESPN "Emmert targets specific coaches) while they do
their best to protect the FB money and their favorite Son$.

The double standard
to me is the bigger scandal in all of this being perpetuated by the NCAA......From the Courant:

Jim Calhoun quote: "Ours is almost the exact opposite situation ... it's obviously something that got away
from the institution (UNC) ... I think coaches, someone on their staff, has a pretty good idea of what every
kid was doing."
UConn, of course, got a postseason ban for the academic shortcomings of players who wound up
leaving the program. UNC allegedly kept players eligible by cheating. And I almost forgot congress's remark on
the NCAA's handling of the UNC case "I think it's important to know if they are looking the other way,"
Rep. Cardenas said. "I think it's very suspicious."

This post was edited on 10/27 9:22 AM by the Blades

Re: UNC Sued For Breach of Contract By Former Athlete

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
The litigation has started.
Nice find regarding "the lawsuit vs UNC " they deserve it and the hits to their fake grades program just
keep on coming :
CHAPEL HILL: UNC faces more scrutiny by accrediting
I guess the NCAA's "nothing to see here folks,... let's look the other way " approach for one of their fair
haired blue blood programs has been a massive fail ! Will the ticket prices and plenty more go
up in Chapel Hill while the diploma values go down ???? ... LOL !
This post was edited on 11/10 10:23 PM by the Blades

2005 UNC title run athletes enrolled in 35 bogus courses
[/B]
During the season that the UNC men's basketball team made its run to the 2005 NCAA championship, its players accounted for 35 enrollments in classes that didn't meet and yielded easy, high grades awarded by the architect of the university's academic scandal.

-Charlotte Observer

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/08/4305374_2005-unc-basketball-champs-2-semesters.html?rh=1

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/08/4305374_2005-unc-basketball-champs-2-semesters.html?rh=1#storylink=http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/08/4305374_2005-unc-basketball-champs-2-semesters.html?rh=1

So this is what I would do overall teams at UNC:

1. Strip all wins from teams that had athletes on the roster who were involved. GO ALL THE WAY BACK and I know this will open up Pandora's box but do it. Record books are just books, the teams will still know they were the champs so this is just superficial.

2. If this current team has anyone on it that was involved or took those classes they are kicked off the team.

3. Current eligible players can still play and UNC can still play in post season until all currently enrolled eligible kids are off team.

4. Once all current kids are graduated or off the team, UNC goes on 5 year post season ban. Make them start all over from square one.

5. All coaching staff fired that are proven to have knowledge of what was going on. This is what the school should do. If Dean was involved, rename the court.

6. Any kid who wants to transfer can without sitting out a year.

7. All brass at any level linked are stripped of all academic responsibilities. This is what the school should do.

Wow! I highly doubt that will happen, but it certainly would establish UNC's commitment to academics.

I'm not sure if I understand #2. Why would you kick of kids who participated. It seems to me the admin directed them to the paper classes. Are you saying the students should have known better?

#2 is because they become ineligible if the NCAA, Yes they deserve blame as well for accepting the bogus classes.

More proof that the NCAA, consistency, fairness and perspective should never be confused, as they continue to look at
(non-P-5) schools and coaches while your hear crickets regarding UNC as they've hoped it would fade away:

" Yesterday it was announced that Alaska has received a postseason ban and the vacating of all wins between
2007-11, not just in hockey, but in nine of the school's 10 NCAA sports.
"

"In this case, we're talking about an issue inside Alaska's athletic department where people made clerical errors, things that the
hockey program, in particular, knew nothing about. And there's no pattern of behavior here. This after the school self-imposed
sanctions a couple of years ago when it realized that some of the players weren't properly eligible because of course credit
discrepancies and for things like failing to declare a major on time."

"And now the current team is punished for something it had nothing to do with. A promising season now with nothing to
play for except pride. Alaska seems victimized by being a small school with no clout. The Infractions Committee is
making an example of a school
that no big school will ever care about anyway. When (Power 5) schools like Miami (Fla.),
North Carolina, Auburn, etc... are able to get away with far more egregious and harmful infractions,
while this happens to Alaska, you have to wonder."

Between the Lines: NCAA's Alaska Punishment Overly Harsh
This post was edited on 11/15 11:17 AM by the Blades

the latest:
Ex-Tar Heels DL sounds off on UNC academic scandal
"If you ain't inside of there, you don't know what's going on. But Butch Davis came into a meeting one day
and he said, 'If y'all came here for an education, you should've went to Harvard,"

"It ain't that we go in there and say, 'We want to take African-American studies.' How did we know about it ?
They put it on the table for us...these coaches, man, [they say], 'We're going to get you three and out of here.'

and regarding good Ol' boy Roy:

"Man...man, you know he knows," Powell replied. "Roy Williams is a snake, man." He continued: "If you ain't got a
class with a basketball player, you better go find one. If you got one with them, you know it's an 'A.'"

Audio of former UNC defensive lineman Tydreke Powell
This post was edited on 11/15 11:09 AM by the Blades

I am really annoyed at all this. The ncaa is really going to do nothing. Everyone has been saying it for years, but it's starting to sink in for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT