ADVERTISEMENT

UConn's top booster on Pasqualoni firing: I told you so

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
UConn's top booster on Pasqualoni firing: I told you so

Burton's top choice for the UConn vacancy the last time was Steve Addazio, a Farmington, CT native who had been offensive
coordinator for the University of Florida Gators in the rugged Southeastern Conference.

"UConn should target an up-and-coming coordinator and proven motivator rather than go after a household name" , Burton said.
"I don't think we're looking for that kind of coach," he said. "If there was another Bear Bryant out there, you'd have to get in
line and you'd be 98th in line."

Burton's youngest son, Joe, played for Pasqualoni at Syracuse. A self-made multimillionaire who was raised in a small coal
mining town in southern Illinois, not far from the Kentucky border, Burton was a 19th-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers in
the 1962 Buffalo Bills, but did not see playing time.Now that Pasqualoni is out of the picture, Burton said he would donate money to UConn to hire a full-time person
to promote the school's athletic programs to marquee conferences.

This post was edited on 9/30 10:04 PM by the Blades

Burton was right then and I applaud him for not just being an empty windbag but being willing to open his wallet if need be.

Originally posted by Husky Gridfan:
Burton was right then and I applaud him for not just being an empty windbag but being willing to open his wallet if need be.
He was not right then. Burton's top choice was Addazio who would have left after one year.

Burton was dead set against Pasquoloni and he was absolutely right. Your conjecture about the rest of it is appreciated but it is just that, conjecture.

Originally posted by Husky Gridfan:
Burton was dead set against Pasquoloni and he was absolutely right. Your conjecture about the rest of it is appreciated but it is just that, conjecture.
Very true, Hathaway alienated Burton by making the epic fail of hiring PP. I wasn't completely sold on the Dazzler
but who knows what he would have done if he got the Uconn job. He would have been playing his home games
about 12 miles from where he grew up and Temple was paying their HC about $550 K when he took their job and
Golden left. ( I see the new HC is up to 1.2 Mil ). But PP was already making $1.7 mil this year so Addazio( who's
around the same at BC) may not have jumped from CT so quick at a BC offer with that kind of salary. But like you
said HGF it's all conjecture and moot.

This post was edited on 10/8 8:22 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT