ADVERTISEMENT

UConn vs USF

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This will not be an easy game. USF just beat Memphis by 9, and lost to Temple by 7 and to Cincy by 3 at home. They are 13th nationally in blocked shots and have the AAC's leading scorer. They won their last two and seem to be improving.

The recent USF performances suggest to me that if UConn doesn't show up for this game they will get beat. This is a team that is improving. They are thin at guard, but have a very good shot blocking center. I hope UConn can get the win.

The chemistry between Dan Hanilton and. Amida Brimah is uncanny. It reminds me of the chemistry between David Duchovny and Gillian
Amderson in the TV show the X Files. I am a huge fan of that TV show, and if you were to ask me the single biggest reason for the success of that TV show back in the 1990s and its Reboot's hit run this year, it's due to the chemistry between those lead actors. Chemistry either exists or it doesn't. And Hanilton and Brimah, much like their TV show counterparts, have some inexplicable synergy with each other that is pure magic.

You can see Hamilton is making a concerted effort to pass more this game, but USF's low post D has been fricken "turrible" giving up the dunkfest between D-Ham / Adams and the bigs including Facey and Enoch. D-Ham has been a stat machine so far at the half with 7 Rebs , 5 asts but also... 4 TO's ....most of those because again he's trying to rush end to end when 5 USF guys are back into no mans land... instead of just playing quick but not in a hurry when nothing is there on the break. Also like how they've set Gibbs up in motion for his shot a couple of times. They just have to keep up with the strong D and I think the O could still become a little smoother. Also was surprised by Enoch's extended minutes.....But so far so good.

Last edited:
This is where we've let up and allowed teams to get back in games they have no business being in.

Have they grown?

I believe Enoch got extended minutes due to the very weak rebounding efforts of late. He looks much more powerful on the boards than anyone else on the team. Every time I see him play there is a Darryl Dawkins moment.

The USF offense kind of sucks. They have one threat.

The UConn half court offense looks good tonight. Regarding Hamilton, he does play too fast. So did Kemba Walker for a year and three quarters. And then Kemba Walker had the best season I have ever seen in watching 37 plus years of UConn basketball. If Daniel Hamilton stays at UConn, listens to his coaches and gets stronger, he will be a special player. I think strength and judgment are the main two things he needs work on.

I'm Rodney's biggest critic, but I didn't have a problem with His bank-alley oop pass. It was actually the better angle pass. Although, I'm sure the four 3's in a row softened my anger toward him somewhat. :)

Ollie up 30, feet up, hands behind his head. Geno up 40+, 10 national championships, pissed off, still grinding his reserves. Different personalities, different cultures.

Btw, well officiated games and tonight felt like one, was still 25-11 at the charity stripe.

UConn is limiting Rodney's touches and
his ball handling which is probably beneficial. Rodney is a excellent 3 point shooter and an excellent transition player and tonight he was used to his best advantage.

I would have taken any kind of win tonight but to beat by 30 a team that took down Memphis and lost close games to Temple and Cincy on home court is truly impressive. UConn showed up to play tonight and put it on USF

Reactions: the Blades
Nice win, everyone got involved ( except Phil even in mop-up time ??? DNP) and I guess they did get the O running smoother in the 2nd half( 53 Pts).... also did I actually see a real live in-bounds play for a score ??? :D ..... Shout out to D-Ham he shot 40% tonight... big improvement..along with a leading 8 rebs and 9 assts.

Box score 81 - 51

Last edited:
It was USF's 2nd worst home loss of the season. They lost by 34 at home to SMU, and by 21 to Kentucky on a neutral court, and by 31 at Cincy.

UConn already handed two AAC foes (Memphis and UCF) their worst home losses of the season, and USF was close to being a 3rd.

Considering their recent history, it's a very good win.

Last edited:
Final stats showed UConn shot 57% FGs, allowed 28% by USF, and had 21 assists but against 14 TOs, distributed throughout the team, On FTs UConn was 8-11, or 73%, just below the season average.

Good win but USF was just BAD. Nolan seeing about as much playing time as I thought he would at this time of the year. That's a good sign. Adams continues to look smooth.

Great performance from the guys - I believe coming out of the first timeout was key because right after that we looked focused and just made plays all night. This is a team we should've been able to beat and we showed what we were the superior team. Only 3 games left in the regular season and we "should" be able to win out but we will see what UConn team shows up. If they play like they did tonight and play a full 40 minute game, we can be a dangerous team from here on out but its all about consistency. Let's finish the end of the regular season strong and be prepared for the AAC tournament.

+ 10 on the boards. And USF is bad, but we counterpunched their run in the second half, something we haven't done lately.

We all think Sean needs more touches in the half court, how about Cousins for them? He should be the first, second and third option.

On the rebounds, it's notable that Jalen Adams had 6, to go along with 6 assists and 12 points. I thought Adams played well last night and the halfcourt offense was consistent. Enoch ended up playing 18 minutes and Facey only played 8, but with 6 points and 3 boards Enoch contributed out there and looks like he is getting better on defense. He should be playing that many minutes every game as long as he isn't allowing uncontested backdoor layups like he did earlier in the year. I think he could be a vitally important player off the bench in the postseason. There are a lot of teams against which his big, physical body will be needed.

Ollie said post game he played Enoch because he wanted to get him time and USF was a good opponent to let him get playing time. Said something along the lines of Phil will be back playing minutes and not to read too much into it. Enoch shows promise and gives them some muscle. If he can play adequate defense and not foul he can be a good contributor off the bench

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT