ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. Depaul- WED

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Dec 30 (Wed) .....late game @ Gampel.... 9 pm..... TV: CBS Sports Network
Depaul played just their 2nd game of the year losing in 2 OT's at Providence on SUN. They've been starting a small ball line-up, with a big and 4 guards, but Lopez who started both left the game with an injury and Weems a 6-7 forward off the bench had a big game in his first action. Also a 6-9 starter in every game last year has yet to play (injury ?)

click image to enlarge:
BE-10-Depaul-20-21-Roster-Stats.jpg

UConn will see an old friend for the first time in a while in DePaul head coach Dave Leitao, a longtime Calhoun assistant.

BTW, UConn and DePaul are the only teams in the Big East who have yet to win a conference game. 1 team will get its first win.

Was looking at DePaul's schedule last year and before going 3-15 in the Big East and finishing 16-16, they had some really high quality out of conference wins. They beat Iowa by 15 on the road, and also beat Texas Tech, Minnesota, and Boston College. It will not be an easy game.

Last edited:
Odds Shark line has jumped to UConn -8.5:

Are any of you guys noticing that the CBS Sports Network stream isn't exactly mint? I was watching the Xavier - SHU game on FS1 and the stream was crystal clear. But the CBSSN stream is like watching 1970s TV. WTF?

That was a pretty solid first half. UConn shot 52%, and very good halves by Martin who had 9 points and 4 boards and Carlton with 4 points and 7 boards. UConn shot 5-8 on 3s and outrebounded DePaul 23-15. But Gaffney had major problems with his drives- it seemed like every single one ended with his shot being blocked, a TO, or getting stuck. It looked horrifying to me. He had some open lanes to drive but they seem to close up up on Jalen really quick like an Alligator snapping its jaws on an unsuspecting small dog wading into the pond. I wish the driving lanes could stay open for him a second longer.

I was again impressed with the quality of the UConn defense. DePaul shooting 33% and 20% on 3s. They were getting hosed for a good part of that first half.

I don't understand why Bouknight seems like he has to work as hard as he does to get his shots. They need to figure out better ways to free him.

Last edited:
Nice game by Martin (20 pt- double -double), James with a sloppy 20 points and Josh with another double -double off the bench. Defense was a beast overall ( nice job limiting the 3 with all Depaul's guards) and though the offense still seems to struggle at times, I'll take it. Since it's still like it's pre-season with the late start (and then Covid stops) and not having the cupcake games to sort out a rotation/ identity on offense.

Final Box- DePaul- 61 ---- UConn- 82

Last edited:
D was solid, backed by strong boarding especially in the first half.
DePaul missed most of the open shots they had and couldn't finish at the rim.

The half court O needs the most work.
PGs need to be better running sets and getting good shots for everyone else.

Need steady work in games which hopefully starts in January.

The half court O needs the most work.
PGs need to be better running sets and getting good shots for everyone else.

I agree with this, and if you want to nitpick one area, which is what we do, this would be it. I thought Gaffney's drives were a problem as I mentioned, and I think he may be going to his right too much because he is not fooling anyone and the defense is setting up and closing the lanes on his drives very quickly. You do not like see PGs reduced to doing lots of dribbling and passing the ball around the perimeter, which is what he was doing between ineffective drives. Cole was better, but he tends to go to his left a lot and he had some TOs with passes that were a little bit wild. There needs to be better construction of plays for Bouknight as he is being left to create too much.

Did any of you guys watch Dave Leitao's presser in the other thread? He was chewing a bubble gum and actually blew out a bubble while waiting for a question. As soon as he did it seemed like he sucked in the bubble real quick like he just realized he was on live TV. LOL. Never saw that before.

Whaley has fouled out of each of his last 2 games, this time with 6 minutes left.

He has regressed I think but has time to get things right. He needs to be the board cleaner and WRENCH....he's learning how to interact with our STUDS and make no mistake Bouk and Martin are NBA STUDS.

To me Whaley's foul outs the last 2 games have been a big surprise. He had previously been the team's best defensive forward going back to the last 10 games last year, by a very wide margin, particularly on the pick and roll. I don't think he suddenly became a suck-ass defender. The team just needs to communicate better on defense.

To me Whaley's foul outs the last 2 games have been a big surprise. He had previously been the team's best defensive forward going back to the last 10 games last year, by a very wide margin, particularly on the pick and roll. I don't think he suddenly became a suck-ass defender. The team just needs to communicate better on defense.
This isn't complicated, the last 2 games Uconn's best shot blocker was forced to play out on the perimeter vs. guards on 2 teams that play one big in and 4 guards out. Plus he got screwed on 2 marginal screen calls vs. Depaul because the Uconn guard caused it by taking off on his dribble, before allowing Whaley to completely set for him. But I saw the same play by both teams numerous other times and the zebras didn't make that call.

The next game, Marquette plays a more traditional line up like Uconn with a 6-11, 6-9 and 6-7 front line, so it'll be a better match-up.....size wise and off the dribble. (though Garcia, the 6-11 FR , will pop a couple of 3's a game)

Last edited:
Plus he got screwed on 2 marginal screen calls vs. Depaul because the Uconn guard caused it by taking off on his dribble, before allowing Whaley to completely set for him.

That's what I am talking about, there needs to be better communication or understanding between the players about what is happening, although it's a good point that the matchups the last couple of games were not the type of traditional matchups which Whaley favors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT