ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn @ Marquette- WED Jan 11

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
...7pm...TV: CBS Sports Network

Golden Eagles are #21 in the NCAA's NET rankings and their 4 loses been in 2 OT's, a 3pt loss vs. Wisconsin and by 5 @ Purdue. They also blew out then #6 Baylor at the Fiserv Forum by 26 points.

Click Image-

8-Marquette-2022-23-stats-13-4.jpg

The 3 point loss to Wisconsin in OT was their only home loss. In looking at their losses for patterns, one thing I noticed is that they were outrebounded in all of their losses except against Purdue which they slightly outrebounded. Purdue had only 6 TOs in that game, however. That being said, Marquette isn't a great rebounding team, and their team leader (Ighadoro) only grabs 6.5 per game. UConn really has to own the glass in this game.

This is going to be a challenging game as it appears that Shaka Smart has a team that can really play his style of basketball. I have seen a few of their games (including the demolition of Baylor) and I have been very impressed with them. Kolek is a great passer and a very underrated point guard in my opinion. He isn't a great shooter but the dude can drop some dimes.

So Uconn will be playing the 3rd road game in a row vs. teams now in the AP Top 25.

It's a very difficult 5 game stretch UConn is in right now including the home wins over Villanova and Creighton. UConn somewhat comes up for air after the Marquette game. The hardest road games will be over, although the games at Creighton and Villanova will not be easy.

Last edited:
Here is the Courant preview on this game, which mentions that in his last 4 games, Tyler Kolek has 39 assists against 3 TOs- a spectacular 13:1 assist to turnover ratio. Even for a 4 game stretch, that's really good basketball from a point guard:

Pre-game comment from a former Husky and uncle of BB coach Jim. Tom has also coached alot of hoops in his career. At Texas, URI, GW, Houston....etc.

I really think Renee Montgomery is a very good studio analyst for CBS Sports Network. She is openly and unapologetically pro-UConn. Another great ex UConn player making her mark as a broadcaster and owner of the Atlanta Dream.

• Sad
Reactions: the Blades
Sanogo has 3 consecutive turnovers and a shot blocked for a jump ball.

karaban, Clingan, Jackson and Newton keeping us in it.

This game immediately turned around and UConn went on a 16-0 run when Clingan was inserted in the game. Hurley should start Clingan and Sanogo second half and bring Karaban off the bench. Clingan has been a HUGE disruptive force in this game on offense and on defense.

Sanogo has 3 consecutive turnovers and a shot blocked for a jump ball.

karaban, Clingan, Jackson and Newton keeping us in it.
I really think DH's stubbornness is his own worst enemy sometimes! Stop falling in love with 1 of your Big 3 .... take him out before you give back the big lead that Clingan got you on both ends of the court after AS's 2 TO's ...don't wait until he makes 4, SMH !. Sanago was sleep walkin out there and forcing crap in traffic. On the 1st TO he was to far from the hoop but he still won't give it back and loses it instead, like the bad/stubborn Adama that we've seen to much in the past. Come on Dan, make an adjustment fast when you see whats workin' or not !

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Sanogo 4 turnovers and no rebounds. Sit him and play Karaban.
Do you really think Sanogo will be defended the same with Clingan in the game? He isn't playing with Clingan and those TOs are due to a defense Marquette wouldn't be playing with Clingan in the game. This is a no brainer.

Another thing I'm guessing all the BE coaches know is that DH's team will just keep passing around the 3 point line and forget to try to gain real estate if no one gets open. These guys need to try to drive towards the hoop off the dribble when the motion isn't working, not keep wheelin' the ball until the shot clock runs out. It's been a pattern vs. other BE coaches against DH.

Last edited:
Karaban can space the floor. But keep Sanogo in, if he score 10, he’ll have a double double with 10 turnovers.

He’s cooking a little now, Blades, but he doesn’t give you the same rim protection.

officiating has been good so far.

Still runnin' these useless motion screens with 6 secs to go on the shot clock and don't get 1 off,
this is brain dead offense and amnesia DAN ! ...take it to the frickin hoop when no ones open !

Another Hawkins milk carton game.

and we have spiraled late in these 3 league road games. Unsettling. . We need a leader to emerge.

Another Hawkins milk carton game.

and we have spiraled late in these 3 league road games. Unsettling. . We need a leader to emerge.
Yep... add that and a combination of Sanago and his 5 TO's...plus the 8 (+refs) against Uconn's 5 that showed up in crunch time on call after call. ( + I should add outcoached again)

I'm convince that alot of the problem is because Hurley's motion offense. With BE refs and hacking they continue to allow. Hawkins and all the cutters gets hammered in DH's motion offense. But his offense doesn't understand you have to beat your man off the dribble when they keep bumping, deny and overplay. (like I ranted in game a few posts above)

DH said so much in the time out they showed after TV break. Maybe it's time to figure out something different to run on O with these frickin' hack zebra's...or it's gonna be more of the same .

Last edited:
I think the problems were mostly on the defensive end. Allowing 51% FG shooting by the opponent doesn't usually allow a team to win and it didn't tonight. UConn outrebounded and outblocked Marquette in this game, but their man to man defense was weak.

Looking at the schedule I can see a long winning streak on the horizon. I wouldn't get too down about these road losses against very good teams. Nobody blew UConn out. In past years the kinds of teams UConn had would have been blown out at Marquette tonight, like Baylor was. UConn was too big and physical of a team to let that happen. It was a hard fought win for Marquette. I think these losses will help the team grow and get better and tougher. But I think we are about to go on a long winning streak and see some of the bench guys raise their games. The 2011 team was 9-9 in Big East play, with lots of tough losses. The 2014 NCAA Champs went 12-6 in the AAC league play and didn't win the conference tournament. So stay tuned.

Last edited:
I think the problems were mostly on the defensive end. Allowing 51% FG shooting by the opponent doesn't usually allow a team to win and it didn't tonight. UConn outrebounded and outblocked Marquette in this game, but their man to man defense was weak.
Well true, but it's the offense MQ runs. Just like PC, they beat you off the dribble and force the refs to make a call, while Uconn/DH is back to playin' motion offense hot potato 25 feet away... while the clock is running out !

Hawkins(1-8) and Joey (1-6), the curl and catch shooters, who struggle most in DH's offense vs. BE hatchet job ref-ing.

Last edited:
I think the problems were mostly on the defensive end. Allowing 51% FG shooting by the opponent doesn't usually allow a team to win and it didn't tonight. UConn ...man to man defense was weak.
Maybe DH should try Boeheim's zone so he can keep Clingan and Sanago on the court together and near the basket ?

Last edited:
I agree KS. Our defense hasn’t been good enough lately and It starts with defense and rebounding.

blades, I was thinking some of the 1-3-1 we saw last night with Sanogo at the FT line and Clingan under the basket. And Jackson up top to disrupt. It’s a nice wrinkle and we wouldn’t have to ask our bigs to guard the 3 point line or hedge 30 feet from the basket.

im not discouraged, but we still need to find one guy that can consistently get to the cup. Is that why DH runs all those curls for our 2G’s? Andre finally got to the basket late last night. Hopefully we see a lot more of that.

I was thinking some of the 1-3-1 we saw last night with Sanogo at the FT line and Clingan under the basket. And Jackson up top to disrupt. It’s a nice wrinkle and we wouldn’t have to ask our bigs to guard the 3 point line or hedge 30 feet from the basket......we still need to find one guy that can consistently get to the cup. Hopefully we see a lot more of that.
Yep, DH's gonna have to make adjustments on offense vs. BE coaches and refs, as he told his guys in the huddle " you've got to beat them off the dribble when they deny our cutters" as CBS showed. And on D when he's getting beat off the dribble, which Clingan stops alot if they keep him under the hoop on that 1-3-1. And nice if they can play Sanago in a safe place on D together with him too. DH probably needs to look how Calhoun was able to play Emeka/ Boone...Hilton/Boone, 2 bigs together .. even offensively for all those years if that is a strength of this team.

KSTW, like you mentioned "the 2011 team was 9-9 in Big East play". If we remember the reason for alot of losses was BE coaches started using zone ( Pitino's especially) vs. Kemba and Co. and it was Uconn's kryptonite. ( strangely once the NCAA's started it's like the OOC coaches never saw how BE coaches stopped him and never used zone) Adjustments and how DH handles it will be the key going forward.

Last edited:
The 2011 team was hellacious defensively with Oriakhi and Okwandu clogging the middle, and their defense went to a different level in the postseason. Of the record 11 straight postseason wins, 5 were against Big East teams in the conference tournament, which used zone defenses that were less effective. I recall UConn playing Syracuse in the semifinals and in the first half of that game, Tyler Olander was placed in the middle of the zone and his passing enabled UConn to shred that zone. At the time UConn was ranked #21 and Syracuse #11. Kemba Walker averaged something like 9 FT attempts a game that year which either led the country or was close. This team doesn't have anyone who goes to the rim and draws fouls like that any time he wanted to.

Although the 2011 team might have been better defensively than the current team, my point was they lost a lot of Big East games, many of which were excruciating losses. I think one of their losses was a game against Louisville in Gampel in which they had leads and then they fell apart at the end due to a matchup zone as you mentioned. There was a bunch of very painful losses which were disappointing after the impressive fashion in which UConn won Maui as they did PKL this year.

In terms of adjustments the biggest one that needs to be made going forward is starting Clingan with Sanogo and bringing Karaban off the bench. While Karaban is a good stretch 4 who can make 3s, he is a weak link defensively and Clingan is a MENACE to anyone going to the hole. Sanogo had 5 TOs last night and it's because there was too much ballhandling, forced moves and/or passes in traffic. With Clingan on the floor with him, there will not be the same traffic around Sanogo. Clingan will alleviate that pressure, he can pass, and he will find Sanogo just as easily as Karaban did.

I also like the proposed adjustment of playing some 1-3-1 zone defense.

Lastly they have to figure out ways to get better looks for the 3 point shooters, Hawkins in particular. Hawkins has been draped in these games and isn't getting consistent good looks or else is rushing shots against good close outs.

I believe a winning streak is coming especially if they make a few adjustments.

One other X-factor could be Samson and pairing him with Sanago, at least for defensive purposes, with his 6-10/ 7'6" wingspan once he gets back. Sanago gets a block here and there but Clingan is dominant when other teams try to go to the hoop. So maybe AS and SJ together would help at times in a different 4/5 lineup.

But that is assuming alot regarding Johnson's improvement on D positioning that will fit his skill set, that we don't know yet. And the fact that being off his feet that long will hurt a comeback alot more than an upper extremity injury.

One other X-factor could be Samson and pairing him with Sanago, at least for defensive purposes, with his 6-10/ 7'6" wingspan once he gets back. So maybe AS and SJ together would help at times in a different 4/5 lineup. But that is assuming alot regarding Johnson's improvement on D positioning that will fit his skill set, that we don't know yet. And the fact that being off his feet that long will hurt a comeback alot more than an upper extremity injury.

I was wondering when we would get an update on Samson. UConn could certainly use him based on some of Karaban's defensive challenges in recent games. Hope he can get some some game action soon.

ADVERTISEMENT