ADVERTISEMENT

vs. Oklahoma St. (THU Dec 1- 6:30pm) @ Gampel

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
......6:30pm - TV: FS1

Look at OSU by the numbers......on quick glance " where's the beef ?"... heaviest player in their rotation is a 6-2 guard... their 2 loses were to UCF and Southern Illinois.....beat Depaul in the Bahamas 82-78.

Click Image-

OOC-9-OKLA-St-2022-23-stats.jpg

OSU will be followed by the first road game next week against Florida, meaning UConn will have played 5 straight non conference games against Power 5 teams before coming back home to play LIU on December 10.

Has UConn ever played OSU before? I remember seeing OSU when they had Marcus Smart now of the Celtics. That was a really good OSU team.

OSU will be followed by the first road game next week against Florida, meaning UConn will have played 5 straight non conference games against Power 5 teams before coming back home to play LIU on December 10.

Has UConn ever played OSU before?
0-2 all-time with a loss out in Maui the last time Uconn was there. When that zero for a coach we had came back with 2 loses and D2 Chaminade even gave him a scare, SMH! ....the other loss was during the Dee Rowe era.

I don't particularly recall the 2016 game but it's a a chance to get in the win column vs OSU Thursday night!

I don't particularly recall the 2016 game but it's a a chance to get in the win column vs OSU Thursday night!
I don't blame ya, LOL!....I'd say most of us don't want to recall the last years of that guys Uconn era.
( officially 0-17 and 0-18) ...Including his players like Enoch, Jackson and Durham who'd rather sit a year and transfer (back then).....than stay with him as a coach. ( I refuse to even mention that buffoons name)... Or even his top assistant like Hobbs, who saw the handwriting on the wall and took a job at a mediocre program like Rutgers, just to get away from his sinking ship, SMH !

Last edited:
In that article Hurley mentions that OSU will be the toughest game this year. If they are tougher than Alabama I will be surprised. To me Alabama was by far the best team UConn has played this year. I realize OSU has a very athletic 7 foot center but both Oregon and Alabama had lots of size and quality 7 footers.

In that regard, is size now back in vogue? Last night, I was watching Purdue vs. Florida State and was surprised to see two 7'4" centers battle head to head- Purdue's 7'4" Canadian Zach Edey, a monster who is a likely All American and high first round pick, against FSU's 7'4" Naheem McLeod, who is offensively challenged but a good shot blocker. It was the first time I ever saw two 7'4" guys face each other in a college game. Besides Oregon, Alabama, OSU, Purdue and FSU, lots of teams seem to have 7 footers. Arizona has a good one named Ballo. Creighton of course has an excellent 7 footer in Kalkbrenner, as does Xavier in Nunge. Duke has 2 7 footers in their starting lineup and one of them, Filipowski, appears to be very skilled. It just seems like all of a sudden size is BACK!

Another thing mentioned in that article Blades posted is that Hurley gives Hawkins a "mulligan" for the technicl foul that resulted in his foul trouble. We do not know what he said but I think you have to be smart about yapping to officials. Last night one of Purdue's guards hit a 3 and then taunted the FSU bench while the ref was standing right next to him. It was one of if not the dumbest technical foul I have ever seen, and the announcers were mocking him for his stupidity afterwards, because the game was fairly tight at that point. I am hoping Hawkins got the message from not playing again in that game that with the guard depth UConn has, he is not needed to finish off a game against a quality opponent.

Sluggish at times tonight, sensational at others. Clingan looked like a frosh, I’ll give OSU credit for scratching and not losing by 30.

tiny hangover, but a 10 point win is solid.

Some bad defense by the UConn guards. OSU guards seemed to be able to turn the corner on Newton and AJ whenever they wanted to. UConn needed more than what they got from Newton tonight.

Yeah, tonight it was. Shooting seemed a little off, on the ball D was off and rebounding too. I guess you have to credit OSU for that too...from their coach:

UConn was both outrebounded and outshot. The difference in the game was assist to TO- UConn 11 to 7, and OSU 5 to 17. Upside down A/TO does not win too many games and that is why Louisville is 0-7 with a succession of blowout losses. At one point they were 30-90 Assist to TOs.

Hard to complain about a 9-0 team that has won every game by double digits. We need Allyene to stop pressing. He has ability, but we don’t need double figure scoring from him Every night. Once he realizes that, he’ll be fine.

Reactions: the Blades
UConn collectively from Newton, Alleyne and Diarra got 2 points, 2 assists and 5 rebounds in this game. That's not the kind of production you want. Fortunately the Big 3 stepped up and showed why they are the Big 3. Although Sanogo has an annoying habit of fading away and taking unnecessarily difficult shots. There were some very hard fouls on Sanogo and it may have made gunshy. I was at the game and the fouls on him were HARD. But those fadeaway jump hooks are not a high % shot and he needs to lean in and draw fouls and not shy away from contact.

Hard to complain about a 9-0 team that has won every game by double digits. We need Allyene to stop pressing. He has ability, but we don’t need double figure scoring from him Every night. Once he realizes that, he’ll be fine.
True I was saying that to my buddy at the game, we need to see him get going (especially from 3) only because we know he's been a better offensive player career wise than he's shown so far.

It would just give Uconn one more guy who could get it done on any given night and make the team even harder to match-up against. Another thing should be Samson coming back since he would be a better interchangeable 4, to match-up on D for low post scorers with his 7-5 wingspan, which was a little lacking last night.

True on Sanago, KSTW and sometimes forcing from being to bullish with the ball and not passing out of the double/triple teams to wide open guys, though he's getting alot better than last year. But overall there's still everything to like about the 9-0 start and the different guys on different nights, getting it done, that this team can bring.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Regarding Alleyne, part of the problem is he is going from a situation where he was starting and playing 30 minutes plus per game to now playing way less minutes and coming off the bench. I think he is having some issues adjusting to his new role and, as you guys mentioned, is pressing a little bit. Whereas with V Tech he could play through mistakes and develop rhythm with his shooting, now he is playing in small bursts of minutes and it's a difficult thing to adjust to sometimes. I think we will eventually see Alleyne break out. He is close to a 38% career 3 point shooter and we will at some point see that production at that rate.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
ADVERTISEMENT