ADVERTISEMENT

UConn v. Oregon

Afghusky15

Jun 13, 2016
Oregon looks to be a very solid team. They are one of the highest scoring offenses in the country and they move the ball well. As a team they shoot a ridiculous 42% from the 3. This is not good for UConn given our propensity to give up a ton of open 3s.

As team they shoot well from the free throw line too. They have 6 guys averaging double figures and they are a deep team. They like to push the tempo, which bodes well for us. I expect Jalen and Larrier to have great offensive games in an uptempo game.

Oregon will essentially be playing. home game. This will be a challenging game, and if we win this game, the expectations for this season will be significantly raised.

I am not expecting a win in this game but I would like to see a more competitive game than they played last year against Oregon. I do expect Oregon to run and push the ball up a lot more than the first 3 opponents did, but with UConn’s depth they can match Oregon in a 40 minute track meet kind of game. Defending the 3 point shot will be of paramount importance.

If Cobb is out, Whaley and Carlton and Diarra will probably get more minutes.

Uconn has the talent to beat Oregon. JA will be the best player on the court. Oregon lost a lot from last year & is unranked, this should be a win for the Huskies

Anything can happen, but I have not seen Oregon this year and am not prepared to pronounce this a win. They have been pretty good under Altman's watch. UConn is still trying to fit together a lot of new pieces. A win likely earns UConn a matchup with Michigan State, which might be the team to beat in the tournament. A loss likely earns a date with DePaul Friday night.

So what was andersonfro talking about? Oregon -7.5 is significant underdogship. I would have thought it would be more like -4

Lol, I stand by what I said. Uconn is the more talented team & should win, but if I were a betting man I'd take Oregon giving those points. Hate to sound like a broken record but coaching counts.

Happy thanksgiving by the way

Last edited:
Oregon -7.5 is significant underdogship. I would have thought it would be more like -4
Forget about it from the Uconn side, I've been in the " Show Me" mode on them and KO for over a year.... Uconn's been off the board all year, maybe because Vegas has the same take on them........Oregon is 3-0 vs. the spread in their games that have been "on the board ".... laying some huge lines plus it's basically a home game & they can score the ball:
Nov 13 Prairie View A&M Panthers ( -30.5) Won 100 - 67
Nov 17 Alabama State Hornets ( -35.5) Won 114 - 56
Nov 19 Ball State Cardinals ( -19) Won 95 - 71

I have noticed that UConn has been off the Vegas board all year...........why? Is it because the team has so many new players and Vegas doesn't know what devil they are signing up for? The old "lay the line on the devil you know, but hold the line on the devil you don't know" school of thought in lining games?

I have no thoughts we show up for this tourney.............until Ollie can prove he can do this without Bazz he is NOT the guy we all were hoping.

UConn is the clear underdog here. Oregon has a Kenpom ranking of 33 and UConn is 66.

UConn is an 8 point underdog. Also not only is this basically a home game for Oregon but the event is honoring Phil Knight who is a huge Oregon booster. Oregon will be getting a lot of friendly calls all game long.

I hope, and I believe, UConn will win, but this will be a very tough game.

Uconn may have a tough time going small ball vs these guys ..looks like they go 10-11 deep with only 1 guy smaller than 6-4. Here's the tentative starters and subs from the Oregon website - GoDucks.com

Oregon...................(4 game totals)......PTS/REB/ASST

Troy Brown.............F..... 6-7/215.....FR......13.0/6.3/2.8
MiKyle McIntosh... F......6-7/240....SR......8.5/5.3/1.8
Paul White..............F......6-9/225.....SR......11.3/4.3/1.0
Keith Smith.............F.....6-7/205.....RS......4.8/2.8 /1.5
Payton Pritchard....G....6-2/195.....SO.....12.5/4.5/5.8

Elijah Brown...........G.....6-4/200......SR.......12.0/3.5/3.8
Roman Sorkin........C.....6-10/230.....SR......11.5/3.5/1.5
Victor Bailey Jr.......G.....6-4/185.......FR......12.3/3.0/0.8
Kenny Wooten........F.....6-9/220.......FR......8.5/6.3/0.5
Abu Kigab..............F......6-6/215.......FR......7.0/2.3/0.5

I would have liked to have had Cobb as a body for this game. He and Onuorah are the bangers on this team. Diarra is probably too undersized to use at the 5.

So far, Oregon has been outplayed by UConn. I would say they have been outplayed more than the score indicates to this point.

If we clean our own glass and our guards make their FT's, we'd be up 10+.

Defense needs to be tightened up.

Carlton has done more this half than Enoch did in two years.

Reactions: the Blades
Oregon has really sucked moose balls defensively this first half. They are flat out terrible keeping guys in front of them and moving their feet. But UConn played with good aggression!

UConn should be plus 15 with all the open looks they had from this group.

Should be up 15. Last year that would haunt us.

Is this year different?

If we clean our own glass and our guards make their FT's, we'd be up 10+.
Defense needs to be tightened up. Carlton has done more this half than Enoch did in two years.
True...Uconn's guards are getting to the FT line (but only hit 10-16, to only twice for UO). But it's the double edge sword of playing small ball. They've given up 8 offensive rebounds to keep Oregon in the game....plus again the Huskies 2-11 from the arc ain't cuttin' it.

Last edited:
22 is really skilled, but he has to rebound and fight for loose balls.

22 is really skilled, but he has to rebound and fight for loose balls.
He's soft ....plus he's a TO ready to happen when he tries to take over the game...he's 0-4 in the 2nd and now Oregon is right back in the game..w/ a little help from the refs...

Last edited:
Totally agree Blades. I think we are better going small.

Gonna need DO down the stretch. He can't be in foul trouble.

Tough to blame the refs, ball movement sucks, it's been bad all game but Oregon is finally troubling the dribble penetration.

That's what Larrier should be doing...spot up shooter or off a pass to the middle ! ...hey they remembered what one is !

Oregon doesn't foul anymore when they knock Uconn down going to the hoop, refs got the halftime memo from Phil Knight :mad:.....oh and thanks TL for the out of control drive in crunch time....

Terry is growing some juevos.

Need our two main guards to knock down FTs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT