ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn -SMU

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Borges asks about this Uconn promotion to the Big 12 :
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges 10h10 hours ago
Was taking out this ad in the Dallas Morning News yesterday a good idea by #UConn? @SMUBasketball

Borges - UConn takes out interesting ad in Dallas

" UConn wanted to make a statement in Big 12 country that it has national championship pedigree. So, university communications took out a full-sized ad in Monday's Dallas Morning News trumpeting the men's basketball team's success -- and, in the midst, taunting Thursday night's opponent, SMU. "

" An ad like this (and again, it should be pointed out that it was university communications that took out the ad, not athletic communciations) could serve as bulletin-board fodder and only add to that emotion.. "

CcajA5_W0AEs-Fh.jpg

I think the real reason for that ad is to lobby for Big 12 with all the UT grads in Dallas. Seems rather obvious to me. They will take the bulletin board fodder and a loss to SMU if they win points with the UT grads. That ad was placed with zero consideration over those actual game motivation issues because it is zero part of their job to give a shit about those things. Their job is to be chutzpah for UConn.

Gee you think ....Well hello, that's exactly what it was for brand awareness/ lobbying for the Big 12 to add Uconn...interesting that a hoops beat writer thinks about the bulletin board stuff.

Also it cost $11,000 and: " UConn coach Kevin Ollie was unaware of the ad before it appeared, and, though he was not available for comment Tuesday, it is safe to assume he is not happy about it."

Last edited:
Also just saw Aman's twitter:

Aman ‏@Aman_UConn
In addition to the full-page newspaper ad in the Dallas Morning News, #UConn will also have nine digital billboard ads running in Dallas.

It's nice that UConn is trying on the legacy that was built in the last 16-17 years plus but I am still not a believer in the Big 12 and also a little bit concerned that UConn is a middle of the pack AAC team for 2 years now, it's not comforting to would be conference hosts or to recruits. I hope the young nucleus of talent being brought in can win quickly with what few veterans will be left to lead them.

Yeah I agree, seems like the only place Uconn can go playing in this hoops conference is down. Hell you could have close to a .500 in-conference record in the old Big East and the committee would still put in 9 or 10 tourney teams.....gotta get out ASAP

Last edited:
Also just saw Aman's twitter:

Aman ‏@Aman_UConn
In addition to the full-page newspaper ad in the Dallas Morning News, #UConn will also have nine digital billboard ads running in Dallas.

@Dominicfrank where you at? Get us some snapshots of those bad boys, I know Dallas is small enough where you should be able to find them if you just drive around for a little......

Silk bro there are a lot of UCONN alumni in Houston and Dallas. Heck spread out over Texas.

Of course many fans too. So the university was catering to them and boasting more the nation than a B12 invite.

Silk bro there are a lot of UCONN alumni in Houston and Dallas. Heck spread out over Texas.

Of course many fans too. So the university was catering to them and boasting more the nation than a B12 invite.

I hear ya Oz - I know you guys are reppin UConn out there in Texas. The school won't admit the underlying reasons for their recent Texas promotion but at the core of those advertisements is a B12 invite. Whatever happens we can't say that UConn hasn't tried to showcase itself as the P5 school we all know that we are

Reactions: the Blades
Oh yea of course they have pitched and pledged just not publicly and in manners like this...... Or in ways like Cincy president is doing.

Our main goal has been and will be B1G invite....

Just have to receive it!!

We will need everyone to contribute in this one on the road. The desire and effort has to be there in order for us to have a chance. Get Brimah and Miller the ball more in the post and not settle for jumpshots. Hopefully Jalen can give it a go because he has been on a roll lately and provided a spark for us. This will not be an easy game but if UConn is committed on both ends we have a chance. Let's Go UCONN!!!!!

At the beginning of the year this game was slated to be be televised by ESPN but it appears ESPN has now bumped it down to its second string game on ESPN2, in favor of Cal-Arizona matchup in the Pac-12.

They were just saying on ESPNU that UConn, if it loses tonight, is likely last 4 in. But Joey Brackets said what I already did, that when conference champions are upset in the conference tournies, teams like UConn will be playing themselves out of the tournament potentially. UConn would need to win against UCF and then 2 in AAC tourney which will not be easy.

This one could get ugly. We'll have to knock down a lot of 3s to have a chance.

Lots of bad turnovers Khalid.

If we don't make 3s, how else are we going to score? The FT line? Lol

That was one of the worst defensive halves UConn has played this year. SMU had a dunk and layup line for easy baskets and that is why UConn is down big. UConn looking like a donut team- no defense or rebounding or anything from the inside players.

10 frickin' TO's (only 2 by SMU) at the half ....nothing new lately ...what was it 9 vs. Houston at the half ?...but hey they are in Texas why don't these refs just let SMU put a saddle on Adams on that one drive....SMH !

Last edited:
No one complains about officiating more than me, but the three of us could go ref this game and they are still losing by 15.

Poorly conceived club and an overmatched coaching staff. Feel bad for Miller, he deserves better.

This game is over. The desire is not there and there is no ball movement. SMU is doing whatever they want and just taking advantage of every opportunity. There is no leader on the floor and everyone looks scared to make a play out there. No continuity at all and everyone just dribbles the ball until the shot clock hits zero and throws up a bad shot. Very very disappointed tonight; expected them to compete and put up a fight but this team is soft. Good night folks.

Yeah if you can't take care of the ball...then you don't get a shot off, that's the bottom line, but just watch SMU on every play... they have a hand in the chest of every Uconn player whether on the ball or off the ball...body block on drives...Glad Miller got a T ...KO ain't stickin' up for him

Last edited:
Smart guy that SMU coach ...he actually knows how and made an adjustment from last game...drive at Brimah....when he goes for the help switch...lob it over him

Last edited:
What a freaking joke.. no heart not one player has improved over last year. Continue to run stupid ass offense that doesn't work. Put miller in the paint and pound it in there instead of putting him on the 3 point line

When you throw your team under the bus Sunday and don't take responsibility as the CEO and president, the kids are going to quit on you.

This is not going to end well. I just hope it ends soon. Three years without march madness will be maddening.

I don't see it ending well either. Unless this team wins vs UCF and 2 in AAC tourney they could be NIT bound.

3-4 record down the stretch, with the same guys making the same terrible ball handling mistakes....offense that just passes it around 30 feet from the hoop and goes nowhere but backwards...but they are good at front running...Hey KO your offense sucks !

Hey guys........What a Joke. I flew in from Cali to make sure I saw this game and MAN WE SUCK. I know the players play this game but let me tell you guys something. Kevin Ollie sat his pouting butt down 5 mins in and was embarrassed by Larry Brown who was encouraging his team, pumping them up, getting into the game and Little lame Ollie, who I LOVE looked like he quit on his team. Ollie on MANY occasions sat and wouldnt look at his guys as they came to the bench. In the second half he was better but then when it got out of hand he went back to pouting and not making eye contact with his players.

Offense was CRAP and while Ollie was LITERALLY SITTING THERE not communicating Brown was yelling across the court to his players on defense.

Ollie was embarrassed tonight and he embarrassed me as a Kemba jersey wearing UCONN fan who couldnt do anything but applaud SMU for making us look like a JV team with a 8th grade coach.

Ollie had Bazz, Giff, Daniels, Boat ALL JC's guys and since has done NOTHING. Its time we start looking from the top down and DEMAND better from our coaching STAFF.

Ok, now on to the players. SMU has athletes and we DONT.

Adams is a head case. While youth is youth he might be a problem for us down the line. He is such a little baby and there is no coaching whatsoever while he is out there playing D 20% of the time and making dance moves watching the clock get down to 5 before getting his crap stuffed. He wasn't sick, he sucked.

Gibbs- WTF???? Dude is an average player. Terrible handle and an incredibly bad leader.

Purvis- Needs to be coached and its not happening. Terrible BB IQ. What a waste of an elite NBA body.

Miller- Showed emotion which I loved. I wish he would have been t'd up again and tossed, I would have loved to see the fight come out of him and maybe the guys would get something going. Kid is a above average low post player but we couldn't get him the ball.

Calhoun- Love him or hate him, the kid was the most emotional out there and you can tell he REALLY CARES which I don't see from anyone else but Miller.

Brimah- Did he play ?

Hamilton- one trick pony was worse in person than I am sure he was on TV. Will be a good pro with some good coaching.

Enoch- Potential.

Nolan- terrible

Facey- Terrible

Oh and while we're at it nice time to try and put a spotlight on the Uconn (hoops) program ....the players responded well :mad:...er the SMU players that is !

Full read: Courant: UConn Hopes For Texas-Sized Return On Its Investment

" C'mon. You know why UConn paid $11,000 for the ad. I know why. We all know why. UConn cannot indefinitely run with the big boys without breaking into the Power Five cartel. That's where the overwhelming revenue is. That's where the future is. Eventually, UConn will break into "The Club" or it will have to drop big-time football and beg to get back into Big East basketball. "

So if UConn's message was, "Howdy, Texas! Here are our 14 trophies, 10 women, four men, all since 1995. And, guess what? The men won three of the four in Texas, the last one in 2014 just down the road in Arlington. We love playing in Texas." … if that's the message, I'm thinking Texans and folks in Big 12 country, men like Oklahoma President David Boren, probably appreciate the chest-beating and certainly appreciate the effort.

"But that's me. That's not Kevin Ollie. I have been told by a number of people that the men's basketball coach was very upset about the ad. For one, Ollie hadn't known it was coming. There clearly was a failure to communicate by the communications office to the athletic department. It was a mistake." "Am I buying into that the ad fired up SMU? C'mon. Because of various NCAA violations, the Mustangs aren't eligible for the NCAA or AAC tournaments. This was their last home game. It was Senior Night for Nic Moore, Jordan Tolbert and Markus Kennedy ....SMU is playing for the AAC regular season title, the only title SMU can play for — this was their entire season......Beyond being kept in the dark, what upset Ollie evidently is that he perceived the ad as disrespectful of Larry Brown. The SMU coach is a mentor for Ollie. He holds Brown in the highest regard. ......To throw all those postseason trophies in his face when he can play for no postseason trophies this year is a bitter pill for Brown to swallow.."

" Yet if you are pushing for a Power Five acceptance and think it's all going to magically arrive for free and tickets to games should all cost $10, well, I've got a bus ticket to a Yankee Conference game in Orono for you. That bus left decades ago. When new athletic director David Benedict, who arrives from SEC Auburn, gets an earful from people moaning about the $11,000, he'll surely grimace at his first spoonful of Yankee frugality.............Once the hard feelings subside, once the 11-grand grumblers have made their comments, the investment in pushing UConn in Texas and Big 12 country should be seen as calculated investment. The payoff could be huge."

Well at least we have a Football team that has been trending up ! And maybe "Reggie" had it right:

TheUConnBlog ‏@TheUConnBlog Feb 23
We talked to @UConnFootball alum Robert McClain about his time at #UConn & playing in #SB50 http://www.theuconnblog.com/2016/2/22/11092302/robert-mcclain-uconn-huskies-super-bowl-carolina-panthers…
Cb8fh8_WwAEOW05.png

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT