UConn Girls vs. Ohio State

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
UConn has 3 National High School Players of the Year in starting lineup today:

Katie Lou Samuelson
Megan Walker
Christyn Williams

Ohio State was shown who is boss in the 1st quarter. UConn 30-12 after 1 quarter. UConn D looked exceptional despite not having much size or muscle in the starting lineup.

I saw the whole game. UConn looked very sharp on D but not so sharp on O. They struggled to get interior scoring. Nelson Ododa didn’t play much, not sure why. Only 5 minutes, got 2 quick fouls. Geno probably felt she wasn’t ready. Collier is the only interior scorer they have. Still, they hammered a top level opponent. They will need to play way better than this in order to beat ND.

From what I saw today they are possibly a bit lacking inside, particularly on D for teams like ND.
OSU outrebounded UConn. Samuelson’s 7 was the top total. The 3 point shooting looked weak outside of Katie Lou. Also they got almost nothing from the bench- 5 by Irwin and 2 from Coombs. UConn has had weak benches for like 3 straight seasons now.

Geno liked their O, not their D.

I liked how he used his bench more. Coombs can’t shoot, but she is athletic and needs to gain confidence. Only way that happens, is minutes.

Walker looks like the player we thought she’d be coming in. And Williams didn’t light it up, but I liked how she willingly guarded and didn’t force shots.

They are the hunter this year. Should be fun. And #12 is not unrealistic. But plenty of work to do tonget there.

The offense was not good. 7-22 on 3s was the main issue and they struggled to get easy inside shots. On the other hand they had 11 steals and caused 21 TOs by OSU. OSU shot 29% FGs, however they got 15 O-Boards and out rebounded UConn. That’s what Geno isn’t happy about. Collier is the only interior scorer and defender on the team until Nelson-Ododa is ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT