ADVERTISEMENT

Temple

No I'm just not going to keep rehashing every single dumb example of "lack of development" you give. I've already discussed those other players with you. Now you want me to engage with your insinuation that good players develop themselves? That's is beyond delusional. Here's a clue: college basketball doesn't have general managers and players don't develop themselves.

Not every player shows up with the potential to be Shaq, sorry to break it to you. This class was brought in by a new, interm coach operating under sanctions including a post season ban and reduced scholarships. No fault in bringing in the guys he did. The current group is progressing just fine to this point. The entire team is progressing in most areas, but by all means tell me all about how you're disputing KO/Miller/Moore can't develop a team because Phil couldn't drop step dunk on people and because Rakim Lubin transferred rather than ride pine.

ok dude, whatever you think. The only thing we'll ever agree upon is mutual hatred of each other. :mad:

Lol, let's win another national championship next year and then I'll happily admit that I'm a moron. ;)

if you insist but do me a solid and don't enforce a social rule about admitting to being a moron every time we're wrong about something, for the sake of my self esteem.

Purvis ... I tried to avoid posting about him since the GTown game, and then read this Temple thread (which I thought would be safe) and got all fired up again. The GTown game was all downhill for UConn after he attempted that dunk. I guess him (and the coaches as well) don't understand his strengths/weaknesses. Under NO circumstances should he pass up open shots in favor of driving to the rim, because he can't dribble in traffic, he can't make a contested layup, and he can't finish through contact. In fact, the staff should just prohibit him from putting the ball in the floor in the half-court offense. What on earth is the story with him being unable to catch and drive without traveling (a play which seems to have replaced the step-out-of-bounds-for-no-reason play in his repertoire)? He looks like one of those old cartoon characters who used to spin their wheels before taking off running. I realize that he has been called on to do some things this year that don't play to his strengths, but at this point in his career, he should be able to catch the ball and dribble without a turnover.

Reactions: the Blades
If every there was a quote that applied to Purvis running with the ball before he gathers himself and sets.... it's this one:
ac0451ece9d9e81ef90cc1d3138b17c2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
While I agree that the graduation of Rodney Purvis will become addition by subtraction much like Jerome Dyson when he left, my sense is Rodney is a good kid who just picked the wrong sport and was overrated in high school by the scouting services He has also suffered from KO's "Ferrari In the Garage" comparison and often plays like he believes it. What he is in reality is a Ferrari that does not handle well, and gives a very rough ride which is uncomfortable for the passenger.

I'm teasing Khald, I'm sure he is a good kid.

As a player, I'd take Dyson over him though.

I'm teasing Khald, I'm sure he is a good kid.

As a player, I'd take Dyson over him though.

I would agree, because Dyson could drive and get fouled, and the team was #1 in the nation with him and AJ Price as the backcourt- and a CLEAR #1 - before Dyson went down with injury in the 2008-09 season. He did not play well his senior year, but up until he was injured he was a key cog in the success of the 08-09 team. When UConn had to start Craig Austrie they lost a lot in the ability to create offense and on defense.

Unlike current guards, Dyson drove to the hole with extreme aggression and did not care about contact. He was constantly hurt during his UConn career with nickel and dime injuries as a result. He did get called for his fair share of offensive fouls but unlike Purvis he did not lose the ball before contact and he could at times finish through contact. He was extremely aggressive and the coaching they gave him was to dial it back and not dial it up, and any time you have to do that it's easier than asking a guy to dial it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT