ADVERTISEMENT

Temple

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is a kind of hard team to figure out. They beat two ranked teams (Florida State and West Virginia), lost to two ranked teams (Villanova and Cincy) and have also lost to New Hampshire, at home. They also lost by 24 to the UCF team UConn just beat down.

They are shooting 35.4% from 3 point land, which is good, but 41.3% overall, which is awful and tells me they don't get easy inside baskets or easy transition shots, to be good shooting 3s and have such an overall low FG%. To give you some perspective UConn is shooting 42.1% FGs overall, but only 30% on 3s. UConn is getting more easy stuff inside is why.

Temple is 10-7 with a fairly solid resume. They need wins, so does UConn, but only one team will get one, so it should be an interesting show.

Uconn basketball sighting the last 60 minutes.

I think if we had a healthy Gilbert, we'd be a really tough out down the stretch.

Yes 12. If we had Everyone healthy, I think chemistry would have been an issue. Larrier and Purvis are too similar in that they have to be scoring to help your team win.

That being said, you always would rather have more, than less,

Jalen Adams 11 points, 12 assists and 7 boards and helping in a lot of areas. This was a good team win. On to Georgetown. I saw them lose to Butler last week in a game Georgetown should have won. Georgetown looks like they have a solid team. It will be another tough game.

Nice numbers & game by Jalen running the team ( Purvis please don't dribble). Anyone hear him on WTIC after the game? Listen to it driving home from Gampel....
JA was asked the difference in the last 2 games regarding the team playing better, his answer was kind of shocking.....He said something to the affect :
" That they are not listening to what the coaches tell them anymore and are just playing their own game now and figuring it out on their own...If the young guys need
to be told something they do it instead of the coaches. " Sound like a team communication thing. But whatever he thinks and if that helps them play smarter and more confident so be it !

I don't expect anyone to man up and eat crow over the KO & staff don't develop players meme but at least I don't have to read that garbage for a few days

The KO doesn't develop players opinion is one of the most mind boggling statements I hear from UConn "fans." Facts and eye test show otherwise. For example:

- Rodney Free Throw Shooting: Sophomore year (54%), Junior (66%), and senior (77%). DEVELOPMENT.

- Kentan Facey: So far he is doubling his scoring and rebounding from last year (and he's not done yet), setting career highs in rebounds and points this year. Shooting career high field goal percentage. Thats called DEVELOPMENT.

- Jalen: Currently averaging 15pts, 6 asts, & 5reb per game! Has doubled his point production and rebounding while nearly tripling his assists average from last year. Shooting better overall and especially from beyond the arc. Oh yea he is only a sophomore. DEVELOPMENT.

- Vance Jackson: Seeing it right before our eyes, these past few games. Past 5 days he is shooting: 18-33 from the field (55%) and 9-18 from 3 (50%). He's shooting 6-9 in past 3 games (67%) shows he not only improved his shooting but is smarter about when to shoot. DEVELOPMENT.

Let's get to 4/5 games before we start taking bows, gents.

It's looking good right now, very encouraging. But if we get to 20 wins and miss the tourney, it's because we played the first 14 games like we were southern Connecticut university.

And purvis is much better from the Ft line in year 5. But can we see him over 35% from the field before we retire his jersey?

Facey is playing great basketball, wish we saw this sooner.

Jackson was being compared to a Fish fry coming in and he'll have to make a lot of shows before that comp is fair, but he's more athletic and well rounded than Rashad ever was.

Rashad is one of my favorite UConn players of all times. I have very specific memories of many huge 3s he hit in the NCAA tournament and in other games. I think he hit a 3 at the buzzer to tie the game against Washington in 2006 and he had a 3 that started the comeback from down 75-67 against Duke in the 2004 Final 4. Rashad and Ben Gordon were lights out in the 2004 NCAA tourney. UConn never had 3 point shooting like that before or since.

It's not really fair to Vance to do these comparisons because he isn't as good yet as a 3 point marksman. But we see the potential and he should be honored to compare to Rashad.

Well maybe we can begin our cautious optimism with an aknowleagment that, not only have these guys improved since high school, but we've witnessed considerable individual development since the beginning of the year. While we're at it we might give some credit to the coaching staff for game planning and a fast start.

The argument goes: there has been growth since day 1.

Nice numbers & game by Jalen running the team ( Purvis please don't dribble). Anyone hear him on WTIC after the game? Listen to it driving home from Gampel....
JA was asked the difference in the last 2 games regarding the team playing better, his answer was kind of shocking.....He said something to the affect :
" That they are not listening to what the coaches tell them anymore and are just playing their own game now and figuring it out on their own...If the young guys need
to be told something they do it instead of the coaches. " Sound like a team communication thing. But whatever he thinks and if that helps them play smarter and more confident so be it !

Blades I am a little concerned by this and would like to hear the actual interview. Was he joking? Because the way you presented it sounds like insubordination. I can tell from Jalen's body language that he is a fiery player and perhaps a hothead (who can forget his benching in the second half at Temple last year after an outburst at halftime cost UConn a game!) I personally like guys who play with fire because as they mature they can become deadly. BTW I heard Jalen get dissed on ESPN by Jay Williams who said he is "not a pro" and then quickly he tried to correct his statement. The coaches should be telling him this stuff. And he has to allow himself to be coached and not yell at his teammates like he did with Purv at memphis even though Purv should have been yelled at. Because the coaches gotta do the yelling.

Blades I am a little concerned by this and would like to hear the actual interview. Was he joking? Because the way you presented it sounds like insubordination. I can tell from Jalen's body language that he is a fiery player and perhaps a hothead (who can forget his benching in the second half at Temple last year after an outburst at halftime cost UConn a game!) I personally like guys who play with fire because as they mature they can become deadly. BTW I heard Jalen get dissed on ESPN by Jay Williams who said he is "not a pro" and then quickly he tried to correct his statement. The coaches should be telling him this stuff. And he has to allow himself to be coached and not yell at his teammates like he did with Purv at memphis even though Purv should have been yelled at. Because the coaches gotta do the yelling.
No.... I wish I could find a replay, my friend who heard it too, said it sounded like he was throwing the coaches under the bus, but I took it more like rather than worrying
about every little thing they are instructed on, the older guys are just now playing the game and creating their own chemistry with the young guys.

Last edited:
They are improved from game #14.

Consistency over a period of time make players and coaches good/great.

Btw, I'll take Ollies salary and zero pats on the back for doing my job, any day of the week. ;)

Reactions: the Blades

Speaking of consistency how about Geno Auriemma 32 or more wins every year for 11 straight years and this season will make 12? And if you look back to the 1999-00 season, the only Geno Auriemma coached team that failed to win 30 or more was the disappointing 2004-05 team which only won 25.

Khalid, what the girls are doing is outrageous. I said earlier in the year, this might end up being one of my favorite teams because the expectations were that this was the year to finally dethrone them.

You can tell even Geno is amazed by them.

It's beyond amazing. The last game they beat a #20 ranked USF team which was 13-1 by 65. I don't remember UConn ever waxing USF like that. USF is always good and usually does a reasonable against UConn, going down of course but never by more than 30. But this year they had one of their better teams and they went down by 65.

6 players in double figures is almost unheard of in women's college basketball, except by UConn.

Where that team was underestimated is in the area of toughness, and the quality of the team defense they play.

Last edited:
Khalid, I watched the game. When Butler and the Chonger are killing you, warm up the bus.

I read that Danderfiekd is going to miss a few weeks. She's going to be incredible. That spin move late in the game and bank shot looked like an NBA highlight,

Dangerfield is being rested for 2 weeks due to a foot injury that requires rest. This means Chong to start and Bent to get Dangerfield's backup minutes until further notice. Bent looks decent to me- better than expected, sort of Kelly Faris Lite at this point.

They are improved from game #14.

Btw, I'll take Ollies salary and zero pats on the back for doing my job, any day of the week. ;)

We've been patting him on the back now?

Idk man, sounds like revisionist history to me.

You're right, he's great. Everything is great. I was wrong. Even his mustache is top notch.

One thing we celebrate about Ollie was that he fought to stay in the NBA on like 12 different teams, myself included.

But was there a reason he was on 12 different teams? He's the NBA's version of Ron Jeremy.

Khalid, I like Bent, she's gritty and unselfish, maybe too unselfish at times. Irwin doesn't look like a fit athletically. It's early in her career and she'll develop, they almost always do under This Staff. And she better, because the competition will be intense.

Kayla Irwin looks like she has to get herself in better shape to play at this level. She is not athletic but at times she has looked somewhat skilled. Her mother was a tremendous player for Branford High School, who won 3 state championships and then played at Penn State. Hopefully some of that pedigree begins to show itself down the road.

I agree with you on Bent. She racks up rebounds and assists very quickly when she is in the game and looks like she can really shoot, which I would like to see her do more of.

You're right, he's great. Everything is great. I was wrong. Even his mustache is top notch.

One thing we celebrate about Ollie was that he fought to stay in the NBA on like 12 different teams, myself included.

But was there a reason he was on 12 different teams? He's the NBA's version of Ron Jeremy.

Khalid, I like Bent, she's gritty and unselfish, maybe too unselfish at times. Irwin doesn't look like a fit athletically. It's early in her career and she'll develop, they almost always do under This Staff. And she better, because the competition will be intense.

Pointing out the absurdity of someone's doom & gloom predictions and calling mesmerizingly inane opinions regarding player development is not the same as precipitous praise.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
This board mirrors the election we just saw in November. The difference between you and I is you're a company man and will never, under any circumstance, criticize the guy running the show.

I, on the other hand, just want to this team to play with toughness and intelligence and win games.

And this club is getting better the last two weeks, so Ollie and his staff deserve credit.

IM not anti Ollie, I'm pro Uconn.

Khalid, totally agree on Irwin. If you want to play for Geno, getting tired is not an option.

91! Wow

This board mirrors the election we just saw in November. The difference between you and I is you're a company man and will never, under any circumstance, criticize the guy running the show.

I, on the other hand, just want to this team to play with toughness and intelligence and win games.

And this club is getting better the last two weeks, so Ollie and his staff deserve credit.

+1 CaNOLEE, I know it's not gonna be very popular and scares the Chit out of the peasants, but sometimes it's OK to say the Emperor has no clothes !

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Blades, it's hard to have a conversation with someone if you don't speak the same language. :D

52-40 the last 2.5 years is not uconn basketball. Schollie limitations, injuries this year, I get it.

But we still go into a game with more highly recruited players 9-10 times. And win 5.5 out of 10.

That being said, it's going in the right direction.

You're so far off base here and completely nieve if you think your opinions are "more Uconn".
I have criticized Ollie many times on this board for actual mistakes, while you criticize him for perceived errors which are proven false i.e. Player development.

A couple people on this board are delusional in thinking there could be a future in promoting a mid major coach to bring in 3 star recruits. The worst part of these injuries is not the temporary setback in this REBUILD, its having to listen to the pontification of inevitable the death knell of Connecticut basketball by doomsdayers who can't put anything into context.

He and his staff have developed Facey this year. Thumbs up. A little late, but better late than never.

Brimah?
Purvis?
Phil Nolan?

Cassell and Calhoun both had nagging injuries, so let's throw them out.

Adams and Daniel Hamilton were/are excellent players. But both were basically 5* recruits, so Ollie the GM gets more credit than the coach.

Guys like Samuel and Lubin decided the grass was greener elsewhere.

Enoch has a ton of ability, we've seen flashes, but we've yet to see consistency. GTown was one of his better games, can he sustain and build upon it?

52-40. At the same time, basketball powers Tulsa(52-30), Providence(59-30) and SMU(69-19) are eating our lunch.

But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

UConn built the lead to 14 with Enoch on the floor after Brimah went to the bench with his usual foul trouble. Unfortunately neither of these guys appear to me to have good natural instincts for basketball. Brimah commits a lot of bad fouls which he should know better.

Steve in the past had trouble staying on the floor but yesterday he looked competent in his minutes. One thing he needs to do is play through contact better and power the ball through contact. He should be throwing down some dunks on people but when he gets contact on routine fouls it discombobulates him more than it should. Power the ball up and if possible down on someone's head. Play through the contact. Brimah simply can't but Steve should be able to.

The rest of the year should be about developing Steve, Jackson and Durham for next year. And playing solid competive basketball, without focusing on wins and losses. Like they did yesterday.

They get a mulligan this season and the day Rodney walks and gets that piece of paper will be win/win and addition by subtraction.

UConn built the lead to 14 with Enoch on the floor after Brimah went to the bench with his usual foul trouble. Unfortunately neither of these guys appear to me to have good natural instincts for basketball. Brimah commits a lot of bad fouls which he should know better.

Steve in the past had trouble staying on the floor but yesterday he looked competent in his minutes. One thing he needs to do is play through contact better and power the ball through contact. He should be throwing down some dunks on people but when he gets contact on routine fouls it discombobulates him more than it should. Power the ball up and if possible down on someone's head. Play through the contact. Brimah simply can't but Steve should be able to.

This is all about playing to your strengths and away from you weaknesses, ie. understanding fundamentals, coaching. Brimah fouling 25 feet from the hoop, WTF ?
No one is gonna develop Brimah into having a sky hook like Jabbar, but when you go after a defensive rebound, control that MF'er, settle yourself ...before you flip it away to a team mate the same time as a G-town guard's pressuring him when he's coming for the ball. It's just the simple frickin' basics, that continue to cause losing. Brimah and Enoch both caused TO's like that yesterday .....Facey recently is the one guy who's starting to get the basics, more and more, recognizing doubles & passes out of them to wide open shooters, taking what the D gives him, playing under control and not forcing things etc., etc. That's all you want to see at this level. Players as they get older are what they are... but if you limit low IQ BB and dumb plays( Purvis is just a special case) it leads to winning. Geno is the master of this and he wont accept anything less. Steve as we all know was a 17 year old FR and bigs can take longer to develop( learn the game, positioning, etc.) so maybe there's still hope with PT and now is the time to do it. A guy like Vance you can see already has a head for the game, plays under control.... better than I saw from Larrier. So the PT may be a blessing for him too. Because sometimes KO gets mesmerized, by the wrong players ( see to much Omar in 2014 regular season not enough Giffey/ Kromah). Now when he gets Larrier back he'll have trust in both guys for PT.

Then like CaNolee said above .....Mr. Purvis...when the guy who's supposed to be a SR leader can't recognize he's the worst shooter on the team..... but still wants to keep jacking up the most shots (especially off balanced on the move)..... can't catch a pass and control himself without taking off & running with the rock..... has no left or body control off the dribble...yet loves to dribble into traffic on the break or thinks he should try to create at the end of a shot clock..... or throws his team mates suicide passes (hockey term) while he brings the D right at them .....he can't leave soon enough. I see it the same as Dyson... everyone was shocked early in the year and I remember Uconn couldn't give away packages to the Maui trip in 2010... then you put a leader in charge (with a bunch of FR and Sophs) who plays the game right without a ball hog...
It was a fun trip and season.

I still believe in KO the GM and since he gets a season pass because of the injuries, use it for OTJ training for the kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Great post, blades. I have similar thoughts, but you use better words. :)

He and his staff have developed Facey this year. Thumbs up. A little late, but better late than never.

Brimah?
Purvis?
Phil Nolan?

Cassell and Calhoun both had nagging injuries, so let's throw them out.

Adams and Daniel Hamilton were/are excellent players. But both were basically 5* recruits, so Ollie the GM gets more credit than the coach.

Guys like Samuel and Lubin decided the grass was greener elsewhere.

Enoch has a ton of ability, we've seen flashes, but we've yet to see consistency. GTown was one of his better games, can he sustain and build upon it?

52-40. At the same time, basketball powers Tulsa(52-30), Providence(59-30) and SMU(69-19) are eating our lunch.

But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

Perfect example of your inability or unwillingness to put anything into context.

Lubin & Samuel were recruited over & saw the writing on the wall. Lubin is a perfect example of the type of player you get under recruiting sanctions.

Speaking of 5 star recruits, Purvis was an MCAA, so I'm guessing in your world he came here awesome (great job Ollie the gm) and was coached so poorly you'd rather him play football.

And I can't believe you want to take away from Phil Nolan to further your agenda. Phil Nolan was the least talented, most intelligent player I've ever seen come through this school. That kid earned every second of pt with hard work and willingness to learn the game in order to make up for his athletic shortcomings. Phil Nolan didn't develop? gtfo

Last edited:
so in other words, focus on the one or two examples that prove your argument and ignore the 7-8 that disprove.

Seems objective and logical.

And Nolan did a lot of good things for us. Finishing at the rim at 6'11, wasn't one of them. And he could switch on pick and roll and stay in front of smaller guys, so lets not make him out to be Natalie Butler athletically.

But again, keep pretending that your right about everything. It must be fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT