ADVERTISEMENT

Storrs Restaurants & Schedule Questions

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Hey guys I am in the process of planning a trip to UConn on either November 13 or 20 which are Saturday games vs. Coppin State and Binghamton. I am taking my 84 year old father who is also a UConn grad. He has recently moved from Florida back to Connecticut and is eager to see a campus he has not visited in 15 or more years. The game times have not yet been announced and are listed as "TBD". Anyone know when they will be determined?

I also have a question on recommended pre or post game dining. I see that the Nathan Hale Inn has now been rebranded as the Graduate Hotel. Around 13-14 years ago I had a pregame dinner before a night game at Nathan Hale inn and the food was good. The menu was better than what GH is now offering which looks kinda basic although I do like smashburgers:

I have eaten at Chang's Gardens and at Geno's place at the Storrs Town Center. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on restaurants. I am guessing that it will be an afternoon game so probably pre-game lunch where we can get a good lunch. Recommendations are welcome.

Just caught this, another option is the food court, dining with the kiddies right across from Gampel. That's usually my go to for something quick since I'm not into the high end dining in Storrs. The Union Street Market inside has alot of food options, besides the places below.

Uconn Student Union Food Court Dining

Last edited:
I have been to that Food Court and more thinking along the lines of decent sit down dining than fast food. The problem is I have not been to Storrs in a few years and between Covid crushing the restaurant industry and the normal attrition rates of restaurants even before Covid, I don't have a current scorecard on what is out there. It even seems like the Chinese restaurant at the Food Court is a new operation, from the Chinese place that was there before. Earth, Wok and Fire was not there when I was last in Storrs. I like the name. It almost implies they are fusing Chinese with soul food, lol.

I have been to that Food Court and more thinking along the lines of decent sit down dining than fast food. The problem is I have not been to Storrs in a few years and between Covid crushing the restaurant industry and the normal attrition rates of restaurants even before Covid, I don't have a current scorecard on what is out there.
I see Geno's is closed at Storrs Center, I haven't been around Storrs in awhile myself but I did catch a baseball game in the Spring.

Downtown Storrs | DINE

Thanks for that link Blades. Those look like some good options. Too bad about Geno's in Storrs Center closing. I did eat there once, probably around 5 years ago. I remember some of the other places, like Chang's Garden and Mooyah. Daddy's Noodle Shop looks like an interesting option. I am thinking of taking my father for lunch or dinner as the case may be and then parking in the North Campus Garage. My father is 84 and in solid shape, but as I found out this summer he can't do loads of walking. However he is anxious to see the campus. My father graduated UConn in 1959, and is what you would call a "UConn true believer." He believes that all the success he had in life- and he had a successful career in business- is 100% due to UConn. He was the first college educated person in his family. Now from where I sit I see my father's success as more due to his mind and work ethic, and he was likely to be successful wherever he went to school, but I don't argue that point with him, and it's pointless to debate it anyway. I mention all of this because my father, due to his "true believer status", has an emotional connection with UConn. He even made me promise to do something that is not in his will, connected with UConn, and there was a lot of emotion in his voice when he made this request. So for him, this trip back to UConn is "where it all started" for him. It's hard for me to explain it beyond what I have said above, but he has strong emotions about UConn. And they carry over into sports although he isn't really a sports fan at all.

Thanks for that link Blades. Those look like some good options. Too bad about Geno's in Storrs Center closing. I did eat there once, probably around 5 years ago. I remember some of the other places, like Chang's Garden and Mooyah. Daddy's Noodle Shop looks like an interesting option. I am thinking of taking my father for lunch or dinner as the case may be and then parking in the North Campus Garage. My father is 84 and in solid shape, but as I found out this summer he can't do loads of walking. However he is anxious to see the campus. My father graduated UConn in 1959, and is what you would call a "UConn true believer." He believes that all the success he had in life- and he had a successful career in business- is 100% due to UConn. He was the first college educated person in his family. Now from where I sit I see my father's success as more due to his mind and work ethic, and he was likely to be successful wherever he went to school, but I don't argue that point with him, and it's pointless to debate it anyway. I mention all of this because my father, due to his "true believer status", has an emotional connection with UConn. He even made me promise to do something that is not in his will, connected with UConn, and there was a lot of emotion in his voice when he made this request. So for him, this trip back to UConn is "where it all started" for him. It's hard for me to explain it beyond what I have said above, but he has strong emotions about UConn. And they carry over into sports although he isn't really a sports fan at all.
Cool stuff, my uncle started my Uconn fandom when I was a kid dropping him off at "the Jungle" with his brothers ( he was the only of his family who went to college) and going to some hoop games during the Al Weston/Tony Hanson era. Then a bunch of the Fam went there too, over the years, with 2 nephews just graduating and one ( not the one who walked on for Geno's practice squad) was president of the math club for 2 years and now is starting his first year teaching and going for his PHD at University of Arizona. So my family history runs deep and somehow I became a Uconn lifer sports fan, like you.

Last edited:
Speaking of "The Jungle", my father lived for one year in Windham Hall, and he asked me to take him to "The Jungle" as he wants to see what it looks like now. My father told me that in 1955-1959, when he attended UConn, all of the dorms at UConn had "House Mothers", women whose jobs duties, according to my father, were "to prevent revolution." Needless to say by 1981-1985, when I lived at UConn in Storrs (all 4 years on East Campus), "House Mothers" did not exist. The sole means of "preventing revolution" were the so called RAs, Resident Assistants, who primary duties were to inspect rooms and make sure there were no fire or other hazards. At that time, Sprague Hall, where I lived, was an all-male dormitory. It is attached to Whitney, which was used as the the dining room hall which existed for all of East Campus, which also included Holcomb, Hicks and Grange halls. The latter two dorms, Hicks and Grange, were the "Aggie" or agricultural dorms. Holcomb Hall was an all-female dormitory attached to Whitney- if you look at these 3 attached dorms which are all located on Route 195, Holcomb is on the left, Whitney is in the middle, and Sprague is on the right. I have heard that these dorms are now integrated as between male and female.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
I visited the UConn campus this weekend and I can add this to the thread: we had lunch at Oyama which is on Route 195 actually not far from exit 68 off I-84. Japanese/Thai/Chinese. Surprisingly good. I ordered sushi and dumplings and it was all good. My father got one of those combo boxes with Shrimp Tempura and California Roll and he also got Miso Soup. He said it was good.

Just wanted to update this thread to note that I happened to visit the UConn Dairy Bar this past week as I was in the area. I had stopped there after the women's exhibition game on November 7 but there was a line out the door, down the stairs and around the building, so I left empty handed. I did not leave empty handed last week.

Went in with a plan to bring back home some half gallons, which are stored in their "deep freeze" cooler, that is cooled to -20 degrees. First, I decided to try a few flavors. I ordered a cup which had one scoop of Salted Caramel Crunch and 1 scoop of Mint Oreo. Both were absolutely awesome! They did not have the Mint Oreo in the deep freeze cooler. So for my takeout/take home, I went with a half gallon of Salted Caramel Crunch, a half gallon of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and, for my girlfriend at her request, Cinnamon Caramel Swirl. That flavor is sitting in my freezer untouched until I see her later this week, but the Salted Caramel Crunch and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are fantastic.

The half gallons cost $12, but in my opinion are worth every penny and I will stop there and bring some home every visit to campus this winter.

The Ice Cream of Champions, but also Championship Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT