ADVERTISEMENT

Shirreffs

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This kid can run and has a major pair of testes between his legs........he saw daylight and he was running for a TD all the way with no thought whatsoever of going out of bounds which is what 90% of QBs would have done. Plus he initiated contact. I like what I have seen from him, so far.

Last edited:
Very true, haven't had a QB that could run since Tyler Lorenzen who left in 2008, but he couldn't sling it to save his life. TL's last Bowl game they only had him throw about 6 passes because he was that bad plus they had Donald Brown who was a 2000 yd rusher that year. DJ Hernandez had good wheels at QB but then Edsall moved him to wideout. From the Notre Dame transfer Frazer to McEntee to Whitmer, Cochran and Boyle they've all been pretty pedestrian with a shot as full time QB's. I think Diaco has really upgraded the QB spot more than Edsall and Pasqualoni ever did. Cody Endres, and Casey were probably the best overall QB's Uconn's had in the last 12 years after Orlovsky. But neither of them could finish out their Uconn careers ( Endres, could've been the starter for PP his 1st year, but was dismissed after failed drug tests his JR year... Edsall recruited so bad at the position B4 he left, PP had to hand a walk-on QB the starting spot or go with a true FR who wasn't ready)

Looking at how Shirreffs was used as a true FR at NC State, as more a running option QB, (34 rushes to only 5 pass attempts on the year) I had no idea what to expect despite his big HS numbers. I would love to see what he could do with those smash mouth OL's that Uconn had for about a 5 year stretch preceding the Fiesta Bowl when they were wearing teams down in the trenches. So far Sheriffs OL has been a work in progress, but his completion % and efficiency rating is phenomenal despite the pressure and penalties they've made him work around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Tyler Lorenzen was good hi,s first year at UConn, not so much his senior year due to an injury, hi thumb, I think. That surely hampered his throwing ability.

Tyler Lorenzen was good hi,s first year at UConn, not so much his senior year due to an injury, hi thumb, I think. That surely hampered his throwing ability.
True...After his first game vs. Duke, I thought he might be the second coming..but he seemed to regress after that, injuries maybe, but he was much better running the ball than he was as a passer. Probably the reason Iowa St had him pegged as a WR before he went to JUCO and why he made it for a cup of coffee in the NFL as a TE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT