ADVERTISEMENT

Question about UConn football…

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Hello there, Pitt fan here. First off, best of luck to the Huskies this year; I love to see northeast FBS football succeed. Also glad to see you all return to the Big East, wish we were there with you!

My question: why did UConn/the state of Connecticut build Rentschler Field in East Hartford and not Storrs? From the research I’ve done, the original idea was to build it in downtown Hartford when the Patriots almost relocated there. After that fell through, why did they still decide to build it so far away from campus (~30 minutes)? If it was to attract other events (concerts, etc.), shouldn’t they have still built it near downtown?

Also, do UConn fans believe “The Rent” will be the long-term home of Huskie football? If not, what other options are there?

I’m interested to hear from the perspective of another fanbase that plays their football games away from campus. Like I said before, best of luck this season.

Hello there, Pitt fan here. First off, best of luck to the Huskies this year; I love to see northeast FBS football succeed. Also glad to see you all return to the Big East, wish we were there with you!

My question: why did UConn/the state of Connecticut build Rentschler Field in East Hartford and not Storrs? From the research I’ve done, the original idea was to build it in downtown Hartford when the Patriots almost relocated there. After that fell through, why did they still decide to build it so far away from campus (~30 minutes)? If it was to attract other events (concerts, etc.), shouldn’t they have still built it near downtown?
IMO- Regarding Storrs, it would be a tough build on campus due to lack of infrastructure and getting 40,000/50,000 in and out. Correct on the Patriots failed multi use stadium deal. After that when Pratt & Whitney donated the old runway in East Hartford it made sense, easy in and out, I-84 + I-91 and the airport for opponents is not far away. ....and yeah it's a ways off campus. I guess Miami and UCLA are the only others I can think of near that far off campus, 27 miles away.... vs. 32 for Uconn.

You'd probably get different opinions from different Uconn fans but to me since Uconn is CT's "pro" team and draws from the NY border to all over CT it's not really a stretch to understand why a Central CT location works.

It always been that way. Just like hundreds of games for decades (MBB since 1976 /WBB and now Hockey East) which is 30+ mins away from Storrs at the Civic Center/XL in HFD. Many of the small hockey schools with tiny fan bases don't understand the Uconn/ statewide fanbase/ off campus thing. Uconn has even played home games in New Haven and Bridgeport over the years for just that reason. So I don't see this changing or any reason to.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
IMO- Regarding Storrs, it would be a tough build on campus due to lack of infrastructure and getting 40,000/50,000 in and out. Correct on the Patriots failed multi use arena deal. After that when Pratt & Whitney donated the old runway in East Hartford it made sense, easy in and out, I-84 + I-91 and the airport for opponents is not far away. ....and yeah it's a ways off campus. I guess Miami and Ucla are the only others I can think of close to that far off, 27 miles away.... vs. 32 for Uconn.

You'd probably get different opinions from different Uconn fans but to me since Uconn is CT's "pro" team and draws from the NYC border to all over CT it's not really a stretch to understand why a Central CT location works.

It always been that way . Just like hundreds of games for decades (MBB/WBB and now Hockey East) 30+ mins away from Storrs at the Civic Center/XL. Many of the small hockey schools with tiny fan bases don't understand the Uconn/ statewide fanbase/ off campus thing. Uconn even has played home games in New Haven and Bridgeport over the years for just that reason. So I don't see this changing or any reason to.
I did not think of it in relation to the entire state. When you put it at that way, it makes more sense to put it in a central location. Also did not know that it was a former airport site. Thanks for the response. Stay safe with that hurricane coming up your way!

Last edited:
If it was to attract other events (concerts, etc.), shouldn’t they have still built it near downtown?
Just one other thing regarding the Downtown Hartford/ Patriots site, after it fell apart. Since I owned a bar/resturant and music venue only about 1/2 mile away ( so I would have loved the crowd/traffic). That location was planned for and turned into new development including the CT Science/ CT Convention Center and also the Uconn Hartford campus with over 3,000 more students. And the "Rent" is only about 4 miles away from it .

P.S. Good luck to Pitt, it was always a good BE rivalry. I also heard Edsall mention some future scheduling could be in the works. But we'll have to see with your new Alliance(s). That's been the good thing playing again as an INDY. Flexibilty for alot of series with NE/ BE, even ACC teams again. H &H's w/ Cuse(4)/ BC /Army (8)/ all of the NC teams/ Maryland etc., instead of to many midwest AAC (C-USA) teams with no history.

A13038%202017A87_439.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Just one other thing regarding the Downtown Hartford/ Patriots site, after it fell apart. Since I owned a bar/resturant and music venue only about 1/2 mile away ( so I would have loved the crowd/traffic). That location was planned for and turned into new development including the CT Science/ CT Convention Center and also the Uconn Hartford campus with over 3,000 more students. And the "Rent" is only about 4 miles away from it .

P.S. Good luck to Pitt, was always a good BE rival. I also heard Edsall mention some future scheduling could be in the works. But we'll have to see with your new Alliance(s). That's been the good thing playing again as an INDY. Flexibilty for alot of series with NE/ BE, even ACC teams again. H &H's w/ Cuse(4)/ BC /Army (8)/ all of the NC teams/ Maryland etc., instead of to many midwest AAC (C-USA) teams with no history.

A13038%202017A87_439.jpg
Interesting, at least they still did something useful with the site.

In a perfect world, Pitt would be back in the original, nine-member Big East and us, UConn, Boston College, and Syracuse would take on the rest of the FBS world together.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT